• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Eminence in Shadow Isekai Light Novels Listed With Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anstar019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
NGL, The name sounds pretty edgy, but the premise sounds lame as fudge. I was hoping of like a "demon souls" kind of premise, but maybe it's just a nice guy isekai after all.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:19 am Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:
NGL, The name sounds pretty edgy, but the premise sounds lame as fudge. I was hoping of like a "demon souls" kind of premise, but maybe it's just a nice guy isekai after all.

Both things couldn’t be further from what this series is actually about lmao.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
Finally an isekai I'm hype about. Just gotta hope they nail the comedy.
anstar019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
anstar019 wrote:

Both things couldn’t be further from what this series is actually about, lmao.

If you have read the source. Then in terms of edginess scale from 1 to Akame ga Kill, where does it lie?
Amy192

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

If you have read the source. Then in terms of edginess scale from 1 to Akame ga Kill, where does it lie?

You know how the whole concept of chuunibyou is that the character is convinced he's involved in some great conspiracy and there's powers and all that, but then everyone around knows that it's all not real?
Well, this story is the exact opposite. The main character thinks he's just playing at being chuunibyou, but actually it's all real, and everyone else around knows it's real, but only he doesn't know that it's real. And because he's pretending like it's real, nobody knows that he doesn't know that it's real so nobody tells him that it's real.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
#900545 wrote:

You know how the whole concept of chuunibyou is that the character is convinced he's involved in some great conspiracy and there's powers and all that, but then everyone around knows that it's all not real?
Well, this story is the exact opposite. The main character thinks he's just playing at being chuunibyou, but actually it's all real, and everyone else around knows it's real, but only he doesn't know that it's real. And because he's pretending like it's real, nobody knows that he doesn't know that it's real so nobody tells him that it's real.

I need a map and a codex to decipher what you just said...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Honestly not sure if this will help, but I reviewed it when the first book came out: animenewsnetwork.com/review/the-eminence-in-shadow/novel-1/.163494
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 am Reply with quote
I read the first book and skimmed through the manga, I thought it had an interesting premise, but it was pretty boring after a while. The story only really has one joke, that it's way too proud of, and it stopped being funny halfway through the first volume.

The art is nice though.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

It's like an action-satire series of sorts.

Imagine an obsessive fantasy roleplayer (RP) who's been reincarnated into an isekai.
The RPer thinks he's acting out his RP fantasies of taking down evil organizations with his own shadow society, and that the world's somehow playing along to his fantasies.

The joke is, what if his fantasies coincidentally happened to be all true and that he had no clue at all that his madeup RP nonsense was actually really happening?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
on a more leta level, this is the only isekai comedy that is about as good as konosuba, even better than the other isekai comedies by the konosuba author.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
#900545 wrote:

If u dunno what chuunibyou is then give Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! a try. That should help u with obtaining a codex for what was said :) Bonus points for a sweet anime on the side haha
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
awwww yeah awwww yeah
I really enjoyed the manga, and finished reading vol1 of the novel the other day. It's so silly and so fun. The main character's stupid edginess is hilarious. I don't even mind him being an overpowered MC because he's so dumb and edgelord it's refreshing.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this series, it will be awesome to see it animated.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not a huge of of isekai's myself but the goofing on the whole 'chunibyo syndrome' and overall satire of the isekai genre is really refreshing and enjoying. I think a ton of people will enjoy this.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

You're going to be so surprised when this anime comes out
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2