• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Horimiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was something like that, but I guess I was confused; Like he is ring a suit still a week later, meaning he travelled home in it? Is it a week long memorial?

And like; all week he couldn't get to the convenience store? That seems a bit contrived. Do these services go all week or something?

And did I miss it or does Izumi not have a father? I thought he said his parents ran a bakery.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:
Hey what was the event that Izumi was at in Episode 7? Everyone was in black suits which kind of came across like a funeral, but that didn't seem to be the case....?

It was probably a memorial service for a relative who died before he and Hori became close. Those don't necessarily take place right after the funeral, and this may have been the one-year anniversary of death. You'd still dress like you were going to a funeral, though.

It was a memorial service. The manga showed Izumi telling Hori that he was going to a memorial service while leaving her house. Then Hori tells the others the next school day that he was at his relatives' place Hokkaido. I guess the anime figured skipping the first scene in the chapter would be ok due to the implications of how everyone was dressed, at least to a Japanese audience.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

And like; all week he couldn't get to the convenience store? That seems a bit contrived.

I mean, where I live that's pretty normal if you can't drive and don't have a bike. Smile

I would guess (since I can't dig up my copy of the manga at this moment) that they probably made a trip of it, since they had to go all the way to Hokkaido anyway. But service lengths and family observances really vary by religion and culture, both within a country and a family. We certainly took more than a day for my grandmother's yahrzeit.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
I guess the anime figured skipping the first scene in the chapter would be ok due to the implications of how everyone was dressed, at least to a Japanese audience.

I'm not Japanese, and I knew right away they were attending a funeral. Seen a couple of Japanese funerals in my day in shows like Usagi Drop, but I didn't really need that extra background.

I did think it strange that Izumi could not visit a convenience store at least once during their five-day stay in Hokkaido. You'd think the family would like to take a break from unrelenting sorrow at least once and drive into town.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I would guess (since I can't dig up my copy of the manga at this moment) that they probably made a trip of it, since they had to go all the way to Hokkaido anyway.

Nods When I had to fly from the Pac NW to the Florida for my uncle's funeral, I spent a week there with family and especially with my mother. (Since it had been almost eight years since I'd been able to.) One of the best decisions I ever made as she died suddenly a few months later.
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So at the end of episode 7... spoiler[they've finally "did it"!]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't find it totally unbelievable that he couldn't get to a store over 5 days, but is there some taboo against asking to use his uncle's phone to let her know the situation? Surely someone there had a phone he could borrow for a quick text.

I was rolling my eyes over Hori's friends' advice about movies, but I wasn't quite clear on whether the various attempts at being girly about horror flicks were her testing them out in her head or if they were real. I assume (hope) the former?

But I was also really annoyed by her "my way or the highway" attitude about it. Izumi was obviously willing to indulge her tastes to his own detriment because he enjoyed the spending time with her part. Could she not budge an inch even once and watch his damn puppies flick?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I didn't find it totally unbelievable that he couldn't get to a store over 5 days, but is there some taboo against asking to use his uncle's phone to let her know the situation? Surely someone there had a phone he could borrow for a quick text

Maybe he hadn't committed her number to memory yet? Although, if so, that probably would have been played as another brief comic/anxiety bit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
Does Japan not have directory assistance? Does he not know any of his friends' numbers? I just think anyone who really wanted to could figure out a way to get word to her. That said, I can see how he'd just shrug it off as only being 5 days and she knew where he was so no biggie.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

And like; all week he couldn't get to the convenience store? That seems a bit contrived. Do these services go all week or something?

In the anime it looks like he ran out of battery right away but in the manga, it's the last day. His mom specifically tells him he can hang on for one more day. From her reaction, it looks like getting to the store is inconvenient and she thinks he can wait. Not sure why the anime makes it look like he didn't contact her while he was gone.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
In the anime it looks like he ran out of battery right away but in the manga, it's the last day.

That's a really big difference. Also does that mean he called her in the manga?

Everyone was wearing mourning clothes in the anime scene, so I assumed it took place soon after the funeral. It was understandable that Izumi's mom didn't want to go to the store in that circumstance, but less so days later. If he didn't run out of power until the end of the trip, these issues are pretty much moot.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
kurichan69 wrote:
In the anime it looks like he ran out of battery right away but in the manga, it's the last day.

That's a really big difference. Also does that mean he called her in the manga?

Everyone was wearing mourning clothes in the anime scene, so I assumed it took place soon after the funeral. It was understandable that Izumi's mom didn't want to go to the store in that circumstance, but less so days later. If he didn't run out of power until the end of the trip, these issues are pretty much moot.

The manga didn't show him contacting her while he was out. She did try calling him on the last day after his battery died, as shown in the anime. Maybe that implies they were in contact before that last day, though she did jump at her phone when someone else sent her a message (as seen in the anime, though in the manga this was immediately before the part where his phone died), so maybe not.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
In the manga we didn't see Miyamura until the last day when he ran out of battery so I just assumed they'd been in contact. I think people are thinking about it too much. The point is that Hori was counting down the days so of course she'd be anxious when he hadn't texted her that last day to let her know what's going on. And then we all discover just how much Hori misses him and what he means to her. That's the important take away.

As for them wearing funeral clothes, that is understandable. They would have arrived days before the actual funeral in order to help prepare for it, and would leave the day afterward. Standard practice.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

In the anime it looks like he ran out of battery right away but in the manga, it's the last day. His mom specifically tells him he can hang on for one more day. From her reaction, it looks like getting to the store is inconvenient and she thinks he can wait. Not sure why the anime makes it look like he didn't contact her while he was gone.

I guess I'll have to call it a Draw between blaming which of the two mediums then; The manga would seem to make Kyoko needlessly clingy if one day out of communication made her that anxious while the anime makes Izumi incredibly thick, callous and kind of dumb if he couldn't be bothered to come up with an alternate means of communication in 5 days.

OK, not so much a draw than a "This is her POV so let's err in her direction" move typical of shojo... and I had to look up to confirm that, yes, this is a shonen romance.
Mmm.

Which is unfortunate as I'd much rather talk about Yohikawa as she has entered the dread position of manga romance stories- "What is her type... and why is it only coming up now?"

From TVtropes: Character: Yoshikawa
Quote:
Promoted to Love Interest: Inverted. Her crush on "Konoha" goes completely unmentioned in the anime.

That explains a lot... but why is this adaptation such a mess?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

That explains a lot... but why is this adaptation such a mess?

My guess? Trying to cram too many manga volumes into too few episodes. They really could have just closely adapted the first six or seven books and it would have been a perfectly good series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8