• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime Brings Back Motoko Kumai as Joco

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI, the Kodansha USA release had him renamed to Joco, and it seems that's going to be the name used for new games and the international release of the anime outside Japan

Anyway, I'm REALLY glad they updated the design. That was my biggest fear about the new adaption
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The lips are gone. Not gonna miss them but man does he looks different.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Anyway, I'm REALLY glad they updated the design. That was my biggest fear about the new adaption

Yeah for sure, I think its definitely the right call.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Huzzzah, he looks great!
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'm all like "I hate censorship" but every now and then I'm like, "nah, I don't need the only Black dude in this show looking straight up like that donkey girl from Fantasia." Lol. New design looks solid. I'm noticing there's been a shift in how Black anime characters are designed and I can't help but feel like Black artists are helping contribute. It's a great thing to see!
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Just as an FYI, the Kodansha USA release had him renamed to Joco, and it seems that's going to be the name used for new games and the international release of the anime outside Japan[/url]

If whichever streaming service picks this up uses the censored name, that will be an easy pirate for a lot of people like with "Zolo" or the Americanized JoJo Stand names.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Just as an FYI, the Kodansha USA release had him renamed to Joco, and it seems that's going to be the name used for new games and the international release of the anime outside Japan[/url]

If whichever streaming service picks this up uses the censored name, that will be an easy pirate for a lot of people like with "Zolo" or the Americanized JoJo Stand names.

So an incredibly small number that is super irrelevant?
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
The lips are gone. Not gonna miss them but man does he looks different.

Looking at the other art, the emphasis is still there, it's just not a full circular tube now. Just some half circle above and below the mouth now to make them more pronounced than the other characters' lips. He's still called Chocolove, at least in Japan. Though given how the recent manga re-release was censored here, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets renamed in the official subtitles.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Sorry, Western stupidity and legal issues are not comparable to an outdated, racist caricature.
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
This is the character reveal I was really waiting for. I was curious as hell about how they'd handle his design, in this day and age.

I'm glad they updated it. Props to the studio and Hiroyuki Takei,
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
FallenDomino wrote:
[Sorry, Western stupidity and legal issues are not comparable to an outdated, racist caricature.

It depends if "Joco" is the legal requirement for companies to use in America or not. "Brand synergy" is very much a thing, at least that's the excuse Crunchyroll gives for using the outdated Americanized Yu-Gi-Oh! names.

Best case scenario they keep Chocolove. Funimation uses Mr. Satan in both their sub and dub for Dragonball Super while Viz still censors the name to Hercule in the DBS manga. Manga is easier to censor since you don't have Japanese VAs actually saying the real name as the subs try to pass it off as something else. Otherwise, second best way to please the most people would be to use Chocolove for the sub and Joco for the dub so people can pick, but that's pretty rare outside weird cases like Gyakuten Saiban.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Just as an FYI, the Kodansha USA release had him renamed to Joco, and it seems that's going to be the name used for new games and the international release of the anime outside Japan

4kids and Viz used "Joco" as well, so it's a long-standing change. I'll really happy for the design update as well. <3

"Censoring" and "editing racist caricatures" are very different concepts that a lot of folks can't seem to grasp.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
FallenDomino wrote:
[Sorry, Western stupidity and legal issues are not comparable to an outdated, racist caricature.

It depends if "Joco" is the legal requirement for companies to use in America or not. "Brand synergy" is very much a thing, at least that's the excuse Crunchyroll gives for using the outdated Americanized Yu-Gi-Oh! names.

Best case scenario they keep Chocolove. Funimation uses Mr. Satan in both their sub and dub for Dragonball Super while Viz still censors the name to Hercule in the DBS manga. Manga is easier to censor since you don't have Japanese VAs actually saying the real name as the subs try to pass it off as something else. Otherwise, second best way to please the most people would be to use Chocolove for the sub and Joco for the dub so people can pick, but that's pretty rare outside weird cases like Gyakuten Saiban.

The Zolo and Hercule thing always feel less like censorship, and more consistency. They were called that in the old version, so it stays that way to avoid confusion for casual readers. Index in the light novels has a few similar things, such as the Roman Catholic Church referred to the Roman Orthodox Church, while Christianity is called crossism. The dub and official subs refer to them by the original names, which I assume was to appease someone. Index was one of the first yen press translations after all. I don't know why these changes were made, but it would make things very difficult if one tine they just immediately switched to a more accurate translation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
Index in the light novels has a few similar things, such as the Roman Catholic Church referred to the Roman Orthodox Church, while Christianity is called crossism. The dub and official subs refer to them by the original names, which I assume was to appease someone. Index was one of the first yen press translations after all. I don't know why these changes were made, but it would make things very difficult if one tine they just immediately switched to a more accurate translation.

I don't think it would be any more difficult than just putting a blurb at the front of the book that contains the changes explaining the name change.

I haven't read or watched any of the Index franchise yet, but I'd prefer authenticity even if it meant a slight adjustment.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
#901749 wrote:
Index in the light novels has a few similar things, such as the Roman Catholic Church referred to the Roman Orthodox Church, while Christianity is called crossism. The dub and official subs refer to them by the original names, which I assume was to appease someone. Index was one of the first yen press translations after all. I don't know why these changes were made, but it would make things very difficult if one tine they just immediately switched to a more accurate translation.

I don't think it would be any more difficult than just putting a blurb at the front of the book that contains the changes explaining the name change.

I haven't read or watched any of the Index franchise yet, but I'd prefer authenticity even if it meant a slight adjustment.

Update: after doing some research, it turns out the fan translations are innacurate. The yen press script for the church names are the accurate translation. Also, you would be surprised how few people actual read blurbs at the front of a book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2