• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon, Hasbro's Entertainment One Produce New Animated Transformers Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
If Peter Cullen isn't called back for this, the execs can go shove this one up their asses too.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
“Action-comedy”? We all saw how well Transformers: Animated did...
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
As a kid, I liked TF Animated, especially when it got a bit more serious when Sari was revealed to be some kind of Cybertronian human hybrid thing. But overall, especially now as an adult, I realize that TF Animated is a very much American cartoon-ized version of what TF really is: an anime, that, like most anime, has a solid, linear plot (American cartoons NEVER do).

So in hindsight, TF Animated was bad. But can we argree that TF Prime was good? Easily the best TF show since the Unicron Trilogy (which were actual anime).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
SigTheSauceMan wrote:

So in hindsight, TF Animated was bad. But can we argree that TF Prime was good? Easily the best TF show since the Unicron Trilogy (which were actual anime).

Prime and GI Joe Renegades along with Dan Vs were the only good things going for Hasbro Network.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought TF Animated was a good series. Sure it’s not as good as Beast Wars or Prime but for what it is, it’s not that bad. I would watch Animated more than Robots in Disguise.
So here’s hoping this new series turns out well.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
SigTheSauceMan wrote:
As a kid, I liked TF Animated, especially when it got a bit more serious when Sari was revealed to be some kind of Cybertronian human hybrid thing. But overall, especially now as an adult, I realize that TF Animated is a very much American cartoon-ized version of what TF really is: an anime, that, like most anime, has a solid, linear plot (American cartoons NEVER do).

Transformers Animated was basically Teen Titans 2. Some interesting ideas, mainly having Optimus starting out as a lowly salvage collector and working his way up to army commander, but the execution was poor, especially the goofy human villain characters who dominated the show. It got better later on when they started phasing them out but it was cancelled by that point. I'm not really a fan of humans in Transformers series in general.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
So Transformers as a whole in the states has gone....
G1, Beast Wars S1-2 (syndicated)
Beast Wars S3 (Kids! WB)
Beast Wars reruns, Beast Machines, Saban's Robots in Disguise (Fox Kids)
Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated (CN)
Cybertron (Kids WB!)
Prime, Rescue Bots (The Hub)
Prime S1 reruns (CW)
Robots in Disguise (CN)
Rescue Bots Academy (Discovery Family)
Prime Wars Trilogy (go90)
War for Cybertron Trilogy (Netflix)
New series (Nick)

Did I miss any?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Is the consensus now that Animated was bad? I always thought the TF fandom liked it -- in particular, I remember Sari having a reputation as "an actually GOOD human character, who'da thought?".
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I think it's more of a case of pure action cartoons are limited strictly to Netflix "anime" these days and everything else is more comedy focused for kids. War for Cybertron is the show people go to if you want a serious Transformers, this will be for the kids. They're doing a similar thing with He-Man with the serious 2D Kevin Smith "anime" and also a 3DCG He-Man show for kids.

Shay Guy wrote:
Is the consensus now that Animated was bad? I always thought the TF fandom liked it -- in particular, I remember Sari having a reputation as "an actually GOOD human character, who'da thought?".

Could just be the company I keep, but Sari was never really liked and considered annoying from what I remember. I wasn't a big fan of Animated myself, but I'll agree it's better than a lot of later incarnations that came after it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1