• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vocaloid Virtual Idol Hatsune Miku Has Animated Series in Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
There actually already was a Vocaloid-related anime back in 2014, "Mekakucity Actors" (a Shaft vehicle, no less) based on a specific series of songs. This could be something along those lines. There's also some official manga, mostly 4-koma gag-oriented stuff. They are well aware that making too much of an established canon could be a problem, so whatever it ends up being, I don't expect it to cause too many problems in that respect.

There's actually been a number of them over the years. Alongside Mekakucity, there was Black Rock Shooter back in 2012, Mikagura School Suite in 2015, Outburst Dreamer Boys in 2019, and Actors: Song Connection also in 2019. All of them except Actors were adaptations of specific songs so I could definitely see them going for an anthology series approach. (Actors was a collab where they licensed out Vocaloid music to be covered in the show.)

Honestly, the part the interests me the most is that this isn't even going to be an anime. Normally I'd assume they're trying to go for a more international appeal like with that Astro Boy preschool show, but I'm looking at the studio's website and a lot of their stuff is heavily anime/western superhero cartoon inspired anyway, so I'm not exactly sure why they were picked over a Japanese studio?
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
... why an Indian studio? Are they cheaping out big time for their money cow?

Graphic India is a graphic novel studio. The report says they're also working on webtoons and other things, which would likely be where they come along.

Edit: nvm they do have animated works.

Last edited by OrdepNM on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
Purple Ninja wrote:
-"Is Vocaloid an anime?"
-"Yes, it is"

Or in other words, "Always has been"

I went to check on Youtube the studio's(Graphic India) other animated works(The Legend of Hanuman etc).
While the quality seems decent(imagine a polished Clone Wars), I'd say if those are in any way indicative of the real thing this'll be so far removed from anime the only reason you mayhaps will be able to call it it such is it's a Japanese franchise...

To wit, you'll have a better chance to argue the French sequels to 'The Mysterious Cities of Gold' are anime than this...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Vocaloid has slowed down in recent years
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Vocaloid has slowed down in recent years

Hatsune Miku is such an iconic presence that she'll easily outlive vocaloid itself. I expect some years down the line there'll also be a live-action movie with her in the lead. And watchers will come in droves. As far as bets go that's an easy one...
cotton_prima

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
What bums me out about this is that the people who actually made Miku popular, the songwriters and pv makers, will probably not be involved in this project. To me, what makes vocaloid interesting isn't the software or the character design, but the ways artists have utilized those things in their own works. To me, "ownership" of vocaloid is constantly in tension between commercial and community interests.

But I also kind of get why Crypton would be interested in an animated Miku series now. Over the years, I think the vocaloid scene has decentralized Miku's character. She's still important, but not as essential as she used to be. I've noticed that Miku tends not to appear in pvs by newer artists whose aesthetics have never been tied to the vocaloid character art. Of the 2020 original Miku songs that broke a million views, I think Miku only appears in about half the pvs. And when she did appear in a pv, it was usually for a song written by an artist who came to the scene in the early 2010s. So it makes some sense that Crypton would want to reassert Miku's image.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Hatsune Miku is such an iconic presence that she'll easily outlive vocaloid itself. I expect some years down the line there'll also be a live-action movie with her in the lead. And watchers will come in droves.

Like this one?

https://youtu.be/TU4wnVrZXo4?t=18
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Hatsune Miku is such an iconic presence that she'll easily outlive vocaloid itself. I expect some years down the line there'll also be a live-action movie with her in the lead. And watchers will come in droves.

Like this one?

Or like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaA2liN9LKM
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Like this one?

Or like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaA2liN9LKM

Aren't we talking about live-action? Or hybrid like the new Tom and Jerry movie?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Purple Ninja wrote:
-"Is Vocaloid an anime?"
-"Yes, it is"

Or in other words, "Always has been"
Depends on one's definition of "anime". To me she was, and still is, first and foremost a digital voice synthesiser, who's product mascot later got CGi-ed as a video game character by the parents' company what gave her birth, but regretted giving their baby up for adoption when she went viral on the music scene. As for a canon, there never has been as CFM's sales pitch is still "will sing any song anyone composes", Also "can be anything to anyone". My youtube account gets daily uploads by the various music composers, (a little over 50) on Youtube that I subcribed to way back in 2010 when I first discovered vocaloid and Miku and that's added to the over 350 artists and hundreds of compositions by them at NicoNico. I've bought my ticket for her "2021 Virtual World Wide Concert" to be streamed in June/2021 It surpassed its Kickstarter goal 5 times. I was privileged to be at her last "live" concert in London in January/2020 before the COVID pandemic was a pandemic. Looking forward to June. BTW a "Vtuber" is [not] a vocaloid. Wink

This recent jem, from the guy that brought us Oriemo. Yes, what he has been doing on the side at the same time as when he wasn't writing incestuous manga that got made into anime, and still producing brilliant Trance and Prog House today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUR5EtJa7Y
Cool
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Here one by the same artist HSP that's 6 years old, but so relevant today,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-A5EuwlLQ
Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2