• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RetroCrush Adds Ronin Warriors, Hanasakeru Seishounen, More City Hunter Anime, More

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:29 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to Fairy Tales and Cat Girl. And hoo boy that is a lot of City Hunter.
Grenzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Grimm's Fairy Tales getting streamed for free is a big deal. That show is practically lost media in the West. And now I've learned Discotek is releasing the whole series on SD-BD. The dub is harder to find copies of than the original Japanese version at this point, so this is a fantastic development. It would be great if this was the start of a larger trend of rescuing these forgotten 80's classics.

Hanasakeru Seishōnen is also interesting because there seems to be no record of it ever being dubbed in English. Is it a Singapore dub that Retrocrush managed to acquire or some long-lost recording from a US studio that is seeing the light of day?

Last edited by Grenzer on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics - March 19

Well, that was really quick. Can't wait to see & hear this in subtitled form. Well, at least I got something I can put on for my nieces if they want to practice their reading skill by using the English subtitles in Japanese audio.

I hope Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics can find it's way into Crunchyroll in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Grimm's Fairy Tales getting streamed for free is a big deal. That show is practically lost media in the west. And now I've learned Discotek is releasing the whole series on SD-BD. The dub is harder to find copies of than the original Japanese version at this point, so this is a fantastic development. It would be great if this was the start of a larger trend of rescuing these forgotten 80's classics.

Indeed. Discotek said masters for the dub don't exist anymore, so they decided to recut it from scratch using what footage of it they could find. I'm definitely excited to watch this, as I myself didn't grow up with it (Being born in 1993), but I know others who have.

Quote:
Hanasakeru Seishōnen is also interesting because there seems to be no record of it ever being dubbed in English. Is it a Singapore dub that Retrocrush managed to acquire or a some long-lost recording from a US studio that is seeing the light of day?

I can only assume this was an error. I don't remember the show getting dubbed in any way whatsoever.
Blackat 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Grimm's Fairy Tales getting streamed for free is a big deal. That show is practically lost media in the west. And now I've learned Discotek is releasing the whole series on SD-BD. The dub is harder to find copies of than the original Japanese version at this point, so this is a fantastic development. It would be great if this was the start of a larger trend of rescuing these forgotten 80's classics.

Indeed. Discotek said masters for the dub don't exist anymore, so they decided to recut it from scratch using what footage of it they could find. I'm definitely excited to watch this, as I myself didn't grow up with it (Being born in 1993), but I know others who have.

Quote:
Hanasakeru Seishōnen is also interesting because there seems to be no record of it ever being dubbed in English. Is it a Singapore dub that Retrocrush managed to acquire or a some long-lost recording from a US studio that is seeing the light of day?

I can only assume this was an error. I don't remember the show getting dubbed in any way whatsoever.

Hanasakeru Seishōnen was a mistake. It will only be the sub that will launch.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:
Grimm's Fairy Tales getting streamed for free is a big deal. That show is practically lost media in the West. And now I've learned Discotek is releasing the whole series on SD-BD. The dub is harder to find copies of than the original Japanese version at this point, so this is a fantastic development. It would be great if this was the start of a larger trend of rescuing these forgotten 80's classics.

Discotek's release of this show is based on years-old fan recordings (which have been sold as bootlegs), so I wouldn't really consider it to be lost media.

It'll be interesting to see if the RetroCrush launch includes all 47 episodes. There is a handful missing from the fan restorations. Discotek has been notified that the dub in its entirety is in the possession of the Library of Congress (alongside pretty much every other Saban production - including Mon Colle Knights) but that seems like it would be a fast turnaround.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if the RetroCrush launch includes all 47 episodes.

I don't get it. ANN lists Grimms' Fairy Tales as having 24 episodes, not 47. Why is it being advertised as having 47?
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

I don't get it. ANN lists Grimms' Fairy Tales as having 24 episodes, not 47. Why is it being advertised as having 47?

Because Saban licensed the second series and packaged it all under one banner.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to see Ronin Warriors and Hanasakeru Seishounen, getting more accessible
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Because Saban licensed the second series and packaged it all under one banner.

Oooooh, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification!
Grenzer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

I figured it was something along those lines. The show never had a complete release on VHS and stopped airing on TV nearly three decades ago. If you have never watched it before, you will really enjoy how the series managed to keep a lot of the dark edge of the original fairy tales while still keeping it accessible for all ages. It also had a different animation style for each story which made them really stand out from one another.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Grimm's Fairy Tales aired early afternoons on young Nickelodeon when Nick didn't own enough shows to fill everyday timeslots
meronichan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Really happy about Grimm's being on there. Of course I watched them all on Amazon Prime since they're there as well, but I'm glad other people will be able to access them too for free.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:
Hanasakeru Seishōnen is also interesting because there seems to be no record of it ever being dubbed in English. Is it a Singapore dub that Retrocrush managed to acquire or some long-lost recording from a US studio that is seeing the light of day?

We checked with RetroCrush on this and they confirmed that was a mistake on their part. We've corrected the article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1