• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
I'm actually super excited for this since I've heard great things about the novels, but I just haven't had the time to read my copies. The art looks great from the front cover!
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
The one thing that worries me about JK Haru is its normalisation of choking - it's just an extra service you pay a premium for - whereas in reality any form of breath control play can potentially be fatal. I'm not saying it shouldn't be published, but Seven Seas including a warning about the dangers would be a good idea.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
The one thing that worries me about JK Haru is its normalisation of choking - it's just an extra service you pay a premium for - whereas in reality any form of breath control play can potentially be fatal. I'm not saying it shouldn't be published, but Seven Seas including a warning about the dangers would be a good idea.

*Warning: Choking may actually choke*

Don't be silly. Choking is a pretty common kink on both ends. People don't need to be warned that choking/being choked too hard is dangerious.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Netero wrote:

*Warning: Choking may actually choke*

Don't be silly. Choking is a pretty common kink on both ends. People don't need to be warned that choking/being choked too hard is dangerious.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
There will always be someone who takes something too far. That is something that out of the control of the author. If someone is going to try chocking and not do the proper research before and then someone gets hurt. Its that person's fault.
stefand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
If they include all the content from the novel, they need the first 10 pages of trigger warnings anyway.

But what concerns me more: in the novel a lot of bad, very bad things happen. But i did not have the feeling that the description, even from the normal sex scenes, was voyeuristic. So the novel is not intended to cater to people who like to read about bad (sexual) things happening to women.

Manga is a much more visual medium, so i fear, some sort of voeuristic aspect might be introduced that wasn't there in the original novel.
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
People don't need to be warned that choking/being choked too hard is dangerious.

And that's exactly what makes it dangerous - the idea that it can be done safely if you don't do it "too hard". As one writer prominent in the BDSM scene put it:
Quote:
I know of no way whatsoever that suffocation or strangulation can be done that does not intrinsically put the recipient at risk of cardiac arrest… I know of no reliable way to determine when such a cardiac arrest becomes imminent. If the recipient does arrest, the probability of resuscitating them, even with optimal CPR, is small.

And that's not even taking into account the risk of causing death through asphyxiation by crushing the thyroid or cricoid cartilage.
Pico-dillo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favourite LN's I've ever read. Strips away any fantasy of sex work as "fun" or "glamorous" and "easy money". The MC, who's forced to get by any way she can, does what she has to while still keeping a surprisingly positive attitude. She fights to better herself in what is a very dark world that she was dragged to by someone else's actions giving her no choice in the matter. The LN, at least, is well worth a read.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I loved the LN for this and would have loved to review it, but sadly, I couldn't get clearance for that at the time the main novel came out, a couple of years ago. (The manga is also probably going to be too explicit to be reviewable, unless it's really toned down - and that, I think, would defeat the purpose.) It's the LN that people probably haven't read that I would recommend, as it certainly has some surprises in it and the writing quality is better than you'd expect.

I also have to think that the original writer either was a former sex worker or else through other means had intimate knowledge of the sex industry, as some of the details seem a bit too on-the-nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1