• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Way of the Househusband Anime's Trailer Reveals 2 Cast Members, April 8 Netflix Global Debut

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This looks terrible. My college power points were more lively to look at than this. The worst (2d) animation I've seen since that Back Street Girls anime. Will give a chance for TsudaKen, otherwise I'm fine with the manga.
taishou*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually pretty forgiving with PVs, but uh, this looks like a PV for a manga not a full animated series.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting Dai Shogun vibes..... this is really disappointing, especially for a show that people were so looking forward to
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
"the long-awaited anime adaptation"

If it was such a long-awaited adaptation, u should have put more effort on it lol All i saw was a bunch of static frames o.O
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, the cast is at least pretty strong (I do find it kind of ironic for Shizuka Itou to play Miku when she was just recently divorced but she should be great...)
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Just checked J.C staff's production list. They have 5 series that are all starting in the same season (and the same month April) and this is excluding this show. Some studios are not going to release 5 shows in one year, not to talk about starting in the same month. This is just crazy, have to wonder how things like this happen (probably the usual "studio has to accept anything to make money" that is depressingly common in anime).

I was really excited for this show, my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Last edited by Abraham Omosun on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I like a lot of anime shorts with limited animation so it's not like I'm against the motion comic style vibe but I feel this is a bad approach for this series.....
Telu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This looks like Queen bee's hentai style xd.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the worst trailer I've ever seen in my life. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just a trailer and the show can't possibly be that bad....Right?!

Hey, we wanted a faithful adaptation but we do NOT want a PowerPoint presentation that someone in middle school did by scanning the manga.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This is really disappointing. I was looking forward to the anime but this pv just looks awful. Guess I'll be picking up the manga sometime soon, it'll pretty much have the same amount of animation lol
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
To anyone complaining about lack of animation: did you watch Skull-faced Bookseller Honda-san? It's probably got less animation than old adult swim shows like Sealab 2021, but damn if Honda-san isn't the funniest thing I've seen in a while. If the voice acting and timing can make up for a decided lack in animation, then I can live with it no problem for this too.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:58 am Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Just checked J.C staff's production list. They have 5 series that are all starting in the same season (and the same month April) and this is excluding this show. Some studios are not going to release 5 shows in one year, not to talk about starting in the same month. This is just crazy, have to wonder how things like this happen (probably the usual "studio has to accept anything to make money" that is depressingly common in anime).

I was really excited for this show, my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

IKR? People would be whining on online if it was animated by MAPPA. Why those people who whining and criticize on MAPPA are (mostly) silent on J.C. Staff?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
To anyone complaining about lack of animation: did you watch Skull-faced Bookseller Honda-san? It's probably got less animation than old adult swim shows like Sealab 2021, but damn if Honda-san isn't the funniest thing I've seen in a while. If the voice acting and timing can make up for a decided lack in animation, then I can live with it no problem for this too.

Honda-san is great but that is due to the direction alongside the more limited animation style. This is not that. The equivalent, and considering same staff not a surprise, is Backstreet Girls. Which plays more like a motion comic than animation. It’s extremely stilted, and it really hurts the delivery of jokes. While reading your brain fills in the spaces between panels, and the layouts and placement of sound effects and the like help inform a pace. This animation/direction choice does none of that. Instead you get really awkward still shots that hold a bit too long before moving to what is essentially another panel. It’s really disappointing that something this good got such a low quality adaptation. As for Sealab, that’s a whole different beast. It’s not an adaptation. It’s wholly made from the ground up to joke with how cheaply animated it is, and piles on layers of absurdism to really have fun with it.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed right now.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
The live action adaptation is bonkers and I loved it - Tamaki Hiroshi is such a delightfully over the top yet sweetly emotional Tatsu and the series is just so much fun. I wish it were going to Netflix as well so more people could watch it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3