• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Count me as another person that was surprised at how serious this episode got. Obviously nothing bad would've happened since it's not that type of show, but the thought of "Oh my God, they could actually freeze to death." was shocking.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I think they were exaggerating a bit too much this week with how dangerous camping would be. I remember camping as a kid when temperature would dip below 0 at night and we'd barely notice, even an average sleeping bag will keep you warm enough. Plus it's not like they were stranded hours away from civilization, they were within walking distance of convenience store...

Also I just had to deal with -40 all week and I'm really looking forward to hot days next week with max of -5!
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I think they were exaggerating a bit too much this week with how dangerous camping would be. I remember camping as a kid when temperature would dip below 0 at night and we'd barely notice, even an average sleeping bag will keep you warm enough. Plus it's not like they were stranded hours away from civilization, they were within walking distance of convenience store...

Agreed. Years ago when I was in boy scouts we would often camp in those kind of temperatures with ordinary sleeping bags, basic tents, and just standard clothes. I feel the risk was exaggerated as well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I also did the winter camping thing in below freezing temps. It wasn't life threatening but it was miserable. The cold kept me awake most of the night. This was back the mid to late 1950s before a lot of the high end camping gear was even thought of. My sleeping bag was army surplus and was not intended for cold weather.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I was almost drooling along with Nadeshiko when that gomoku shigure was being made. I've never had okonomiyaki, but I'd love to try some.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
I was almost drooling along with Nadeshiko when that gomoku shigure was being made. I've never had okonomiyaki, but I'd love to try some.

Mood. I miss okonomiyaki and takoyaki, the places where I usually get it are too out of the way especially during this pandemic, nowhere near my work, and I don’t know if they’re still open, especially as they got a lot of their business from NYU students and bar hoppers in the area.

Makes me miss the crunchy cabbage. Most places don’t put noodles on it, from what I can tell, but I guess it was a regional variation since they were at a yakisoba place anyway.

I’ve been eating specific types of Japanese food after the last couple of episodes (eel after episode 5 and tempura after episode 6), so I guess my local sushi place is happy getting my money, but it’s not the same. Food is still good though.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It would have been so easy for the show to scold the siblings who brought a laptop full of anime to their campout

facepalm

You mean - exactly like the cast of the show did back in the first season?
ReiLuna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
using her pleasantly ovular head

Sorry... her pleasantly WHAT???
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
ReiLuna wrote:
Quote:

Ovular, meaning like an oval. It’s a perfectly cromulent word... Though I guess it does have another meaning, lol
ReiLuna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
ReiLuna wrote:
Quote:

Ovular, meaning like an oval. It’s a perfectly cromulent word... Though I guess it does have another meaning, lol

“Ovular is an adjective meaning related to or like an ovule (an egg or seed).
Ovular is often misused to describe objects in the shape of an oval (an egg shape).”
Source: Dictionnary.com

Love when reviewers try too much to use sophisticated words Laughing
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ReiLuna wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
ReiLuna wrote:
Quote:

“Ovular is an adjective meaning related to or like an ovule (an egg or seed).
Ovular is often misused to describe objects in the shape of an oval (an egg shape).”
Source: Dictionnary.com

Love when reviewers try too much to use sophisticated words Laughing

I stand corrected lol. There’s probably some linguistic drift going on too, though. Apparently other publications have made the same mistake in thinking it relates to ovals and have been using it that way, so I guess it could come to mean that someday? Descriptivism vs prescriptivism in practice?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:
It would have been so easy for the show to scold the siblings who brought a laptop full of anime to their campout

facepalm

Do you mean during the Christmas camp where they lovingly talk about outdoor movie events and then are all excited to watch shows on an Ipad, including anime, before bed?

Cause there was nothing like what you're saying in the first season. I think there may have been an end of episode short talking about glamping, but this show approaches camping in any form with positivity.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:

facepalm

Do you mean during the Christmas camp where they lovingly talk about outdoor movie events and then are all excited to watch shows on an Ipad, including anime, before bed?

Cause there was nothing like what you're saying in the first season.

The difference is so minor as to be meaningless - the effect is the same. They sit, at a campout, enjoying canned electronic entertainment.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:

facepalm

Cause there was nothing like what you're saying in the first season.

The difference is so minor as to be meaningless - the effect is the same. They sit, at a campout, enjoying canned electronic entertainment.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Your first comment implied to me that "there was scolding for bringing a laptop to a campsite in Season one." My reply was bringing up that there was no such moment, only the girls also enjoying technology while camping.

One of the major themes of this series is the characters maintaining emotional closeness while physically distant, so I see no reason why they would bash on about "pure camping" or anything.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Your first comment implied to me that "there was scolding for bringing a laptop to a campsite in Season one."

Yeah, I think there is. My comment was meant to imply the (side character) girls were doing the exact same thing this season that the (main character) girls did last season. (And that the show treated both equally.)

I think we're actually in agreement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4