• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Develops Live-Action Hellsing Film With John Wick Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
Ahh yes the return of the WHY boner.. WITH A VENGANCE.

That meme out of the way, HellSing is actually a good fit for a live adaption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
They key to this being successful will, I think, be casting Alucard correctly. Otherwise I don't see why a version similar to the TV series would be hard to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
Younger and less controversial Johnny Depp wouldn''t have been a bad choice for Alucard.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Correction - Planned Hellsing movie to be trivia note in Development Hell after three years of nothing.

See also - Live-action Gundam, live-action My Hero Academia, live-action Naruto (from the director of The Greatest Showman!), a point in the 90s where someone wanted to make a live-action Ranma 1/2, the live-action Voltron Universal canceled when Legendary Defender tanked, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I wish they can get Crispin Freeman to play as Alucard just so we can hear his voice.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
They key to this being successful will, I think, be casting Alucard correctly. Otherwise I don't see why a version similar to the TV series would be hard to do.

I'd be down for that. I'm probably one of the few people who prefers the tv version to the Ultimate series. At least Chiaki Konaka injected some interesting ideas in the tv series, Hellsing Ultimate to me was just a borefest of edgelords being edgy to eachother and made me decide to never read the manga.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Younger and less controversial Johnny Depp wouldn''t have been a bad choice for Alucard.

Jared Leto is slightly younger and ever so slightly less controversial . Even playing morbius.

Just appearance wise Trent Reznor actually looks kind of like Alucard . But I don't think he would be a good choice .

Honestly only live action casting choice I thought would have been perfect in any live action would be amy Lee from like 20 years ago as re l in ergo proxy .

Viggo Mortensen is one guy who maybe could pull off Alucard although he would make a perfect dash render for shadows of the empire.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they don't have to worry about the casting. But it's doubtful this'll ever get made like 80% of all American anime adaptations.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Well, at least they don't have to worry about the casting. But it's doubtful this'll ever get made like 80% of all American anime adaptations.

80% is generous. I would put it closer to 95%.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ninja: It sort of did get made, if you count that Van Helsing thing.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It being from the writer of John Wick is already a good sign. Now, we need a good director and cast for the movie. Some directors that I think could work for the movie:

Pete Travis - He directed Dredd which was fantastic. I can see him handling Hellsing IMO.

Neil Marshall - While Hellboy 2019 may have sucked (It was not totally his fault), the guy still has a solid track record. Look at Dog Soliders and The Descent.

Steven Kostanski - After watching Psycho Goreman, I do think he can do a good job on adapting the over-the-top violent nature of Hellsing.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
I'm probably one of the few people who prefers the tv version to the Ultimate series. At least Chiaki Konaka injected some interesting ideas in the tv series, Hellsing Ultimate to me was just a borefest of edgelords being edgy to eachother and made me decide to never read the manga.

No, we're mostly of the same mind on this. Where the OVAs mirror the TV series content, I prefer the TV series version even despite the lesser animation quality. And the TV opener - which I'd place among the top OPs of that decade - is certainly better.

The main factor for me was that I found the comedy asides in the OVAs to be obnoxiously mood-breaking, but some of the visual symbolism was also just awesome.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I never saw the TV series. For me the OVAs were so over the top, that I couldn't help but keep watching. If I remember right the animation was pretty good too.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It won't surprise me if people get mad about this movie and claim that it is being woke because it has nazis as the bad guys and you have a strong supporting female character.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
It won't surprise me if people get mad about this movie and claim that it is being woke because it has nazis as the bad guys and you have a strong supporting female character.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the people who would get mad about Hellsing are the one's who would decry it for being "tone deaf". Because of the copious gun violence, disregard for human life and psychotic MC.

And that's if the movie ever sees the light of day. Like Beatdigga said earlier this planned movie will likely be a trivia note in Development Hell history after nothing comes of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3