• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Can you give the address where you got the interview in English?

Well, as I said, I found this on MAL, in one of the forums for HIgurashi Gou. The translation of the interview came from here: https://twitter.com/0707tosho

Also, someone posted in the comments a link to watch the interview, though you have to know Japanese for it to be useful: https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv330523574
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Some other interesting snippets from that interview:
Quote:
When he was writing the plot [of Nekodamashi], he thought that they would never show all that guro visually. Then, he saw the storyboards, and thought, "That's bad".

Quote:
S: So, there are 4 eps left.
R: Yes. We are in a hurry here, but we actually made it very slowly and with great care. So please believe in us.
S: Is it going to be Satokowashi-hen until the end?
R: That's the plan.

Also worth keeping in mind:
Quote:
S: You have "It's a lie!!" written in red on your shirt. What does it mean!?
R: I've put it on principally for that: I've talked about lots of stuff but "It's a lie!!" *laughs*
S: And it's in red. So, the fact that it's a lie is the truth. I don't get it, everyone.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait, her name's Featherine? When did she say that?
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So, here's a question: We all know that Ryukishi07 likes wordplay, so was this arc named after Satoko, or was she named after this arc?
That is to say, I'm sure the kanji are different, but did he find a cute way to write "Village-Destroying" in such a way as it could be read "Satoko", or did he name her Satoko knowing there was a way it could be read as such? Has that always been right in front of us?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:21 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Wait, her name's Featherine? When did she say that?

A character in Umineko who spoiler[looks the same and speaks similarly and is in a similar role and has a similar relationship to a different obviously-from-(some-version-of-)Higurashi character is called Featherine. Ryukishi07 said in the interview that the character in Gou is not named Featherine, but refused to say the two were not the same person.]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22:

spoiler[For the 3rd last episode of the series, they sure spent a chunk of time reanimating scenes of past loops from past series(without actually showing us Satoko's reactions to them in real time). All to get us to the point where I mistakenly thought we reached at the end of the last episode(Both loopers keeping memories). I'm kind of annoyed at how quickly Satoko accepted the fact that Rika had looped for 100 years, and then watched those 100 years, and instead of you know, gaining empathy and understanding for this friend whom she "loves", her main takeaway is to "not let Rika win". It's like, I feel for both of them, really I do, but their plights are not equal. And we've spent most of the season from Rika's POV, so to kind of shut off that side of the story/her agency and only get Satoko's revenge-love-quest POV is really jarring. I'm unsure of what they can do with only two episodes left. ]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, watching hundreds of bloody, horrific fragments is the equivalent of watching hundreds of snuff films and slasher flicks nonstop, except with real events with real people you know, yourself included. All that does to you is desensitize you and make you detached. It warps your perception of human life and even the world. It doesn't increase your capacity for empathy, if anything it's much more likely to do the opposite, especially if you remain an outside observer. Satoko was already tremendously unstable before her century-long journey, but by now it's debatable whether she's even human.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
To me she seemed exactly the same before and after viewing. I agree that she was already an unstable person, but viewing isn't the same as living, familiar faces or not.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
To me she seemed exactly the same before and after viewing. I agree that she was already an unstable person, but viewing isn't the same as living, familiar faces or not.

You're right. It's not the same. It can potentially be worse.

Because you don't have the perspective of someone that actually had to personally experience those horrors. And you're predisposed to see it as just "information" by a malovelent force, so you're already prepared to separate yourself emotionally from what you're about to see. Forcing yourself to watch and not being able interact at all with what you're watching only detaches you from it, nothing more. I can't imagine experiencing that and not coming out of it a completely different person.

Plus she's already coming at this from an angle of betrayal and anger, so for 100 years those feelings only fester further. At the end of it, she can only view her conflict with Rika as a cruel game, almost as if she's forgotten her motivation entirely.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode 22:

spoiler[It's like, I feel for both of them, really I do, but their plights are not equal. ]

Yeah, spoiler[her original motivations are sympathetic and I can see how the “kill yourself and try again” setup is likely to make someone detached since everything (and everyone) could be considered to be meaningless once you decide to load a previous save, but Satoko has thoroughly transitioned to crazed villain at this point. Even the “it doesn’t matter what I do if I reload afterwards” excuse is gone now.]

On a different subject it was interesting to actually see spoiler[Satoshi finally who seems to have been pretty thoroughly forgotten in the rest of the series.]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:18 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/batsugeemu/status/1369630789592309760?s=19

So apparently Gou is actually going to run for 30 episodes through the end of April?
kyokun47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
https://twitter.com/batsugeemu/status/1369630789592309760?s=19

So apparently Gou is actually going to run for 30 episodes through the end of April?
I'm very happy to hear this, because I was not a fan of the last episode and if we still have 7 more weeks for a solid resolution (assuming they stick the landing), I'll have had no issues with the show's pacing. But as for Ep. 23, spoiler[boy I'm really NOT a fan that they tried to give any modicum of sympathy to Teppei, a serial abuser. I probably would have been more mad if Satoko just accepted his apology just because he was dying, but Satoko herself has still been a great portrayal of the effects of abuse. At least, if it wasn't for Ryukishi07 making the abused become the abuser. Instead of ending the loops of her own volition, she's forcing Rika to suffer until she breaks.]

I'm still excited to see how the show is going to resolve itself, but these last few episodes have been full of decisions that I was worried the show might resort to by turning spoiler[Satoko into Rika's foil, powers and all.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Is the implication that Satoko was just killing herself mid-game because she got the wrong card there because that's a freaking hardcore gamer if I ever saw one
db999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm of two minds about this episode. On the one hand, I really liked the first half of the episode, and we got a very interesting reveal stated out loud. The series had always shown that the main characters were remembering past loops, but it was interesting to find out that it's the people closest to the looper who receive these changes. That does explain why Takano turned herself in, all of the loops caused her to want to change. The second half just annoyed me and felt like padding. spoiler[I think trying to have Teppei turn over a new leaf is an interesting character decision and was foreshadowed in the third arc, but I just don't give a crap about him].

It kind of feels like they're trying to either set us up for an even happier ever after than the original show, or a more devastating conclusion than before. I think this arc is finally overstaying its welcome it's been 7 weeks and while I enjoyed the first 6 this seventh one is starting to show its strain. I hope they'll be able to pull this all together into a coherent ending, although I'm starting to wonder if it's at all possible for other characters to become loopers as well. I also wonder if these references to the other works in the series are going to end up becoming more important or if they're just there for fanservice.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Spending an episode on a pre-Gou timeline infodump, when instead we could have gotten some confirmation on Satoko's movements during the early Gou Question Arcs in pursuit of 'breaking Rika' is a waste.

Why are we assuming we aren't going to get that? If Ryukishi is spending time on this, then surely he has a reason for it. If anything, Teppei's behavior here can provide clues for Tataridamashi! spoiler[And we have at least another 7 episodes going by the leaked schedules.]

Satoko is in pursuit of her ideal world, much like Rika was, and she has to now confront something she thought was impossible - her crappy uncle turning over a new leaf and wanting to do better for her, even if he which can only be described as a miracle - and how that affects her going forward.

I don't get why some people are having such a negative reaction to the idea of someone like Teppei being anything less than a cartoon villain. Anyone familiar with it should know a large part of Umineko was about how abusers can and tend to be more complicated than we like to characterize them as, and one of the main protagonists even has to come to terms with that.

Him suddenly having nuance doesn't mean we should instantly forgive him. Hell, Satoko certainly can't just instantly forgive and forget, and the episode clearly frames her much more sympathetically. It's entirely within her right to decide whether she'll give him another chance or not, and the show ending on that note makes it obvious that it sticks by her. She's a victim, and the writing clearly understands and respects that.

And Teppei even admits his motivation is largely a selfish one, but like...it's a start? People like him do not immediately become better people at the press of a button. That takes time, and it's entirely up to Satoko as to whether or not he'll get that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 23