• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Develops Live-Action Hellsing Film With John Wick Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me_barron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if I can watch this and take it seriously after Hellsing Abridged.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
A live action adaptation of Hellsing? It's about damn time! Hellsing is one of those titles that seems perfect for a live action adaptation since it is one of the more well known anime/manga titles that don't have a majority all Japanese cast as Hellsing is set in London, England so all that they had to do is have a British cast and it's all ready to go!

Anyways, I wonder which direction this live action adaptation will go to in either being faithful to the manga/ OVA series or be like the first anime adaptation and have it go its own direction and plus, with the high octane over the top cartoonish bloody violence that Hellsing is best known for, it definitely is going to be a hard R-rating for sure!

Although, knowing that the majority of live action adaptations of anime/manga by Hollywood, expect this to be stuck in development hell for the foreseeable future but if it does get off the ground, color me shocked.
helln00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I for one think that it would controversial not because of the nazies, but the superpowered catholics using holy relics as weapons with an army of soldiers in Klan-esques costumes purging London.

A Hellsing adaptation needs to build on the absurdity and campness of the original, it would make a great B-movie
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:
I mean, it's nice that they got the John Wick writer I guess, but those are pretty basic revenge movies. What made them special is the director / stunt coordinator, Chad Stahelski.

Indeed.

To be honest, Hellsing is one series where I wouldn’t mind them changing the plot as long as they they got the setting and primary characters right. That’s assuming a *good* original plot, though, which is probably unrealistically optimistic (not because of the John Wick writer, just in general). I also preferred the original anime overall, though, if that matters.

And yeah, expecting it to actually be completed may be unrealistically optimistic also.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Correction - Planned Hellsing movie to be trivia note in Development Hell after three years of nothing.

See also - Live-action Gundam, live-action My Hero Academia, live-action Naruto (from the director of The Greatest Showman!), a point in the 90s where someone wanted to make a live-action Ranma 1/2, the live-action Voltron Universal canceled when Legendary Defender tanked, etc, etc.
See also Alita, the live action Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, and the live action Cowboy Bebop is in the filming process.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
Don't know if I can watch this and take it seriously after Hellsing Abridged.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't even watch DB Super anymore thanks to them. I mean that in a good way of course.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm very cautiously skeptical about this project. It needs to be staffed right, cast right and should not be toned down or altered. Ultimate is the perfect guide example of how to be true to the manga while also making something outrageously awesome.

Something on the style of the tv version might be more readily acceptable but it felt also much more stock standard cliche that pervades a lot of the vampire stuff out there.

I honestly think leaning into Ultimate's style is the better option because in altering and toning down things to chase the average mass market, they might end up driving away the long time fans (something a lot of adaptations end up suffering from).
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
heck... this is awful news to hear. i agree Hellsing brings nothing new to the table but it was for the japanese market not so much for the west, whereas there is gore movies or comedy movies about dracula (please don't be like Dracula 2000 Shocked), LOL and dead nazis you could merged it with wolfenstein imo. i think it's gonna be an original story that's why they hired that writer, just see how modified the works of rurouni kenshin, dragon ball and even silent hill are, they just chopped off my favorites, good jebb hollywood Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KonradWerner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Can't even imagine how much they will butcher this. Not just typical western adaptation butchering, but this will get defanged the hell into oblivion.
But good news for Japanese IP owners . At least they will get a nice payday,.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Well after watching Amazon's release of Coming 2 America, I can guarantee that they can make a movie.

That's all I've got really. I'm honestly not sure how this Hellsing thing is gonna turn out. Anime movies and streaming movies are just about as consistent as...well any movie really. It's a movie. Just roll the [expletive] dice.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Well after watching Amazon's release of Coming 2 America, I can guarantee that they can make a movie.

Just finished watching that also, loved it. Now I hope Amazon can nail The Wheel of Time, it might come out this year, least I hope it does.
KonradWerner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

That's all I've got really. I'm honestly not sure how this Hellsing thing is gonna turn out. Anime movies and streaming movies are just about as consistent as...well any movie really. It's a movie. Just roll the [expletive] dice.

I'm sure they can, but they didn't make C2A. It was normal movie that was done and headed for cinema by regular studio. The COVID crashed everything and Amazon just won the auction for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3