• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Horimiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Alright, it's time to dive headfirst into the Horimiya discourse that I KNEW was coming:

I do not have a problem with Hori and Miyamura's roleplay.

There's a fine line between accommodating your partner's kinks and feeling forced to do something you don't want to, but to my eyes, Hori and Miyamura fall on the side of the former. He draws firm boundaries about what he is and isn't willing to do, in that he refuses to hit her despite her asking. I haven't watched the episode yet, so I don't know if it includes this aside, but when he sees how much she enjoys it, he agrees that he'll do it to make her happy.

Is it perfect? No. Hori should be more respectful of his boundaries, and more attuned to his emotional needs. But still, there's not nearly enough fiction that covers sexual exploration while acknowledging the line between fantasy and reality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with the roleplay, per se. What I have a problem with is that it's just another instance of what Hori wants, Hori gets, no matter how Izumi feels about it. He's always the one that has to come to her when they're not on the same page. Her utter disregard for his feelings on virtually every issue is really making me dislike her, not to mention her lack of judgement (at school? Really? Next she'll want them to boff in the mop closet because the danger of getting caught is exciting).
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
... Her utter disregard for his feelings on virtually every issue is really making me dislike her, not to mention her lack of judgement (at school? Really? Next she'll want them to boff in the mop closet because the danger of getting caught is exciting).

Not just me then. I've been struggling to understand why I can't really like Hori. I was thinking that too much was getting cut from the manga for the anime. That we're missing out on insight into her thoughts and feelings, particularly for Izumi, because they are trying to fit too much story in to 12 episodes. But after reading comments from manga readers... I'm not so sure.

For those that have read the manga, does it give more insight into Hori? Will I like her more, and not wish for better for Izumi, if I read it?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(at school? Really? Next she'll want them to boff in the mop closet because the danger of getting caught is exciting).

Didn't Miyamura initiate while they were at school? That was the case in the manga.

But yeah, I can totally get disliking Hori. She's a selfish person and with a dominant personality (even if she's a sub in bed). But I don't necessarily think that means their relationship is bad or toxic; some people are into that and enjoy that kind of relationship dynamic.

Although this almost certainly won't happen, I prefer to think of it as a relationship where they were what the other needed for the time, but they eventually break up and move on to other people who are better for them in the long run.
IchiroFox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking what you like, even if that's something that might seem “off” to other people. If no one is being injured (who doesn't want to be), people are more than welcome to explore various kinks and ideas

There are many people who would whole-heartedly agree with this but would freak out if the topic of loli fan-service comes up Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Didn't Miyamura initiate while they were at school? That was the case in the manga.

He did the empty classroom incident because he was focused on behaving as she liked, but she put him up to the initial humiliating thug impersonation that precipitated the whole thing just to yank his chain.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He did the empty classroom incident because he was focused on behaving as she liked, but she put him up to the initial humiliating thug impersonation that precipitated the whole thing just to yank his chain.

I think you've pushed past, "Hori is a selfish person so I don't like her," and into, "I hate Hori so everything bad that happens is her fault and Miyamura is a perfect angel who can do no wrong."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
I think you've pushed past, "Hori is a selfish person so I don't like her," and into, "I hate Hori so everything bad that happens is her fault and Miyamura is a perfect angel who can do no wrong."

I don't think he's a perfect angel who can do no wrong, but whatever. I apologize.
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Although this almost certainly won't happen, I prefer to think of it as a relationship where they were what the other needed for the time, but they eventually break up and move on to other people who are better for them in the long run.

I think that could fit with the anime's message that who you were, and what you did, in the past doesn't define the future. Just because Miyamura was isolated and struggled in the past, it doesn't mean his future will be all struggle and isolation. Relationships and people change overtime and that's normal and okay.
But I think you're right, Hori and Miyamura moving on from each other is not how it'll end.

But that got me thinking, can anyone think of a high school based anime or manga where the main couple didn't end up together in the long run? Not in a tragic, or overly dramatic way, just in a natural real world way.
It seems, in my fairly limited experience, that they frequently end with a 10-20 year flash forward showing the main couple happily married, often with a few kids. I can think of examples where it ends with the couple together in the present, and the future left vauge, but happy looking; examples where one of the side couples are no longer together; and my least favorite, separated while one chases their dream and the other waits faithfully, but are tearfully reunited 5-10 years later.

I mean, I get why there wouldn't be many, we're talking romances aimed at high school age people. But I'm just curious if any such thing exists.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Duck Du Normandie wrote:
But that got me thinking, can anyone think of a high school based anime or manga where the main couple didn't end up together in the long run? Not in a tragic, or overly dramatic way, just in a natural real world way.

spoiler[Paradise Kiss ends with them definitively breaking up, with an epilogue chapter showing that Yukari moved on and married another person.

Kimi ni Todoke and A Devil and Her Love Song are more ambiguous, with the heroines deciding to prioritize their own goals over their relationships, but not explicitly breaking up either.]
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one that's very uncomfortable with how Hori's kinks are presented.

The audience knows it's Hori's kink, but the characters don't. Their reaction to Hori being slapped in public shouldn't be "OMG he's so strong, he must be the top alpha dog".
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks all-tsun-and-no-dere! I'll check those out!
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I can't be the only one that's very uncomfortable with how Hori's kinks are presented.

No. It's not just you.
Hori's kinks are a hard no for me, so this whole thing started on the wrong foot, personally. Plus, Hori repeatedly not noticing, or possibly ignoring, Miyamura's discomfort in multiple situations was already starting to get to me. And this episode doubling down on that doesn't help.
But for the reactions of others to seeing the kink played out in public, and even being asked if they could hit Hori, to just be acceptance, or worse, to be impressed...
This episode is waving so many red flags at me it's making me very nervous.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I have a problem with is that it's just another instance of what Hori wants, Hori gets, no matter how Izumi feels about it. He's always the one that has to come to her when they're not on the same page. Her utter disregard for his feelings on virtually every issue is really making me dislike her

I thought of this quote today during the opening scene with Hori doing Miyamura's hair then getting po'd that other girls admired his looks. It was all about Hori. Indeed, like Gina says, it often seems to be all about Hori.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Im in the camp on the public nature of what Hori likes being a big issue. If she wants him to treat her that way thats fine, but there's a time and a place. I don't even mind if he does it in public at her insistence and then they get called on it or something, but people are just ignoring it totally, and thats where I start to have problems. Because no one else KNOWS its a sex thing, it just seems like Miyamura is beating and berating a woman, and thats NOT OK!!!

Is this goin to be addressed? Because this episode REALLY made me uncomfortable to watch, and that bums me out from a show thats been one of my favorites since it started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8