• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm glad that this arc is drawing to an end, I've been getting really bored with it, especially with all the characters that I just don't care for.

I agree entirely with this assessment. Maybe we'll start to see some plot again based on the scene with the antagonists on the beach, but this whole competition arc has been largely plot-less. JJK was never one of my favorites, but, after a decent start, its recent trajectory has been rather disappointing.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m with Panda on wanting to punch a zebra

I found it cute how Megumi summoned his black divine doggy for the baseball game. He treats his shikigami like pets and I just love it so much. I especially enjoyed it when the doggy was barking in agreement when Toudou got hit lmao
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

2リットル is "2 litres", not "2 little". Apparently it's a Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi reference (there it's "8l").

Ah, so I did misread it, thanks for the clarification. That does make more sense (at least as far as 2L goes lol)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I think i'm watching a different show from some people here...
Honeyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 am Reply with quote
It may have seemed uneven to have this arc where it was in the series but the cast from the Kyoto Jujutsu School had to be introduced at some point. The tournament being interrupted and people's attentions being turned to the threat of Hanami was a good way of changing things up rather than the exchange event playing out in its entirety.

There's no way this is going to be just 24 episodes in total. Its served the purpose of boosting manga sales but at least effort has gone into adapting the material and elevating it like what was achieved with Kimetsu no Yaiba. I hope Shueisha continues to work with studios that are willing to focus on this with future adaptations as it should be one of the main goals beyond increasing interest/sales.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...to the simple and gut-busting image of the pitching machine that the Kyoto group drew a little face on and named “Mechamaru”.

If I recall, Mechamaru was actually remotely-operating the pitching machine in the manga?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Quote:
...to the simple and gut-busting image of the pitching machine that the Kyoto group drew a little face on and named “Mechamaru”.

If I recall, Mechamaru was actually remotely-operating the pitching machine in the manga?

Yup. It was. Utahime even joked that Mechamaru could be nothing more than a pitcher right then and there.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Former bully hunter Megumi is a gem. It's easy to find him kind of boring since he's a Sasuke expy and he tends to be more brooding in comparison to the bombastic personalities of the rest of the cast (honestly he's still not very high in my personal ranking list) but he's got his heart in the right place even if he's probably more impulsive and prone to suicidal decisions than even Yuuji.

This little mini-arc is great for a lot of reasons honestly, so I'm happy the adaptation has returned to form, I've been mixed on most of the episodes in the last two arcs outside of the girls battle and the conclusion to Mahito fight.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved seeing how in sync Nobara and Yuji were this week. You'd think they were BFFs for years. Akari seems to be a great addition and I hope we get to see more of her going forward. I like the character design touch of her roots showing from her dye job Laughing
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Best part of the episode for me was when Yuuji and Nobara were squishing Megumi’s face
https://imgur.com/hdG11Ai.jpg

I like Nitta too. Hopefully we get to see more of her in the future
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. Megumi's domain was very well done. Next week better end with a 2nd season announcment!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The Juju Stroll was high art, especially Gojou's histrionics and wonderfully camp delivery. Also, they have more than one formation for the explicit purpose of cockblocking Megumi.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I cut myself on all that edge coming off Megumi in episode 23
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the facial expressions were really impressive.

I liked seeing the different forms of Megumi in episode 23. Smol Megumi, delinquent Megumi and unhinged/feral Megumi.

I honestly don't blame smol Megumi for being suspicious of Gojo lmao. What the heck was Gojo doing with his hands when he was talking to Megumi? I couldn't stop laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that kinda hates Megumi’s backstory? First and foremost, it just feels out of character to me that the straight laced, rule abiding, extremely cautious kid was a violent, fight-picking bully hunter just a couple of years ago. I could totally see Nobara torturing bullies, Or Yuji . Definitely Aoi Todo. But Megumi’s been pretty nit picky about rules since episode 1. I like his nerdy personality and how it contrasts with Nobara’s and Yuji, especially in comedic moments, and revealing that he didn’t give a damn about school rules or his classmates in the past doesn’t track.

Then there are all the cliches—his dad married Tsumiki’s mom when they were little and then the newlyweds fled and left the kids to raise themselves! That is such a dumb trope, but at least most manga step parents wait for their kids to be teens before they disappear (all the better to emphasize step sibling sexual tension!—at least this series ain’t going there, thanks for small miracles!)

I’m not sure how the Zen’in family fits in, but if they were the reason these kids were abandoned (by offing Megumi’s dad and Tsumiki’s mom, perhaps?) I’d roll my eyes a *little* less. In any case, Jujutsu Sorcerer parents have a bad track record so far.

Edit: I just went back and read some previous reviews I had missed, and the Jujutsu Koshien episode review did the good deed of transcribing all the characters on screen text boxes:
Quote:

Miwa Kasumi: “The mango she was letting ripen in the refrigerator is gone.
?”
Zen'in Mai: “Hated mangos, but got over it recently.”

And I just got that joke! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16