• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Devil is a Part-Timer! Anime Gets 2nd Season With Returning Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I found out and I'm gonna keep reading the series Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm annoyed that I got spoiled here on how the series ended, but at the same time I'm glad because (LN spoilers) spoiler[nothing in Season 1 made me feel that Chiho was a good match for Mauo]. I doubt I'll watch the second season now. I don't want to invest any more time in a story that ends that way.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yeah, I'm annoyed that I got spoiled here on how the series ended, but at the same time I'm glad because (LN spoilers) spoiler[nothing in Season 1 made me feel that Chiho was a good match for Mauo]. I doubt I'll watch the second season now. I don't want to invest any more time in a story that ends that way.

I agree 100% that the ending of the LN's suck, but the new anime season would need to be like 100 episodes long to reach the bad ending. And since a 8 cours anime sequel is very unlikely, I intend to enjoy these upcoming 12-24 episodes assuming they will be fun like the first season with the LN's ending not playing a role.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'm actually MORE interested now - I've had a problem with spoiler[the tsundere always wins no matter what] for years, and the shows where that isn't the ending can be counted on my hands......well, one hand if I stop and think about it.[/list]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote
^ She was becoming *less* spoiler[tsundere*] as the series progressed (from what I observed in the first season.. Plus, she's spoiler[an adult woman]. I thought she showed considerable growth. Her competition was spoiler[a high school girl who had a crush on an older guy]. Frankly, I've always hated her personality type -- no, not hated; I'm repulsed by it. I never thought it was a good fit relationship wise, and thus was surprised by how things turned out.

But to each their own. I just don't want to become more invested in something whose payoff is going to be something I find cringeworthy and distasteful.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ She was becoming *less* spoiler[tsundere*] as the series progressed (from what I observed in the first season.. Plus, she's spoiler[an adult woman]. I thought she showed considerable growth. Her competition was spoiler[a high school girl who had a crush on an older guy]. Frankly, I've always hated her personality type -- no, not hated; I'm repulsed by it. I never thought it was a good fit relationship wise, and thus was surprised by how things turned out.

But to each their own. I just don't want to become more invested in something whose payoff is going to be something I find cringeworthy and distasteful.

While I agree with you there's one thing Id like to point out. Emi is spoiler[17 at the start of the series and just 1 year older than Chiho. She just aged herself up in her official Japanese records so assuming only a year (give or take some months) had passed between the start and end of the series Emi should just be 18 by the end as I seem to recall them celebrating her birthday].
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
No matter which way the series ended a substantial portion of the audience would have been upset. We are mostly just hearing from the portion that dislikes this version. This will always be a problem when the main character has two or more potential romantic partners.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
No matter which way the series ended a substantial portion of the audience would have been upset. We are mostly just hearing from the portion that dislikes this version. This will always be a problem when the main character has two or more potential romantic partners.

There's truth to that, but in this case, the core problem is that the entire series focused on spoiler[Emi and Maou's relationship] only to have spoiler[Chiho win at the last minute]. So, the ending doesn't fit the story. If the story had spent a bunch of time on spoiler[Chiho and Maou's relationship rather than a bunch of time on getting Emi to turn from hating Maou to falling in love with him], then it could have worked, but that's not what the story did. The ending we got came out of left field and makes a lot of the story pointless. And that's not a question of which girl you'd prefer to get the guy. It's just simply bad writing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
I mean, I'm caught up to the English releases and I don't think that's true at all. The story has been very adamant about spoiler[making Chiho ever more relevant by involving her with Ente Isla stuff and being the only one Maou actually considers the feelings for at several points]
The story does develop Emi quite a bit (and quite well, too), but pretending it doesn't develop Chiho at all is just disingenuous.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I mean, I'm caught up to the English releases and I don't think that's true at all. The story has been very adamant about spoiler[making Chiho ever more relevant by involving her with Ente Isla stuff and being the only one Maou actually considers the feelings for at several points]
The story does develop Emi quite a bit (and quite well, too), but pretending it doesn't develop Chiho at all is just disingenuous.

Chiho is important to the other characters such that they pretty much all adjust what they're doing for her sake at least some of the time, and she does have some character development, but it absolutely pales in comparison to what was done with did with Emi. The story spent spoiler[a lot of time on Emi and Maou's relationship, getting her to fall in love with him even though she hated his guts to begin with], and then it just threw that all away at the end. So, the way things went down at the end basically makes a lot of the story pointless. It doesn't make sense to have spent all of that time on spoiler[getting Emi to fall for Maou] if it didn't go anywhere. Certainly, the situation with Chiho was such that it would have made sense to somehow have spoiler[a harem ending with both her and Emi hooking up with Maou (though I don't know how they would have done that with modern day Japan, since it probably wouldn't have made much sense for them to end up in Enta Isla with Chiho in the end), but having it be only Chiho] just doesn't make sense with where the story as a whole spent its time and what happened throughout the series. If the author wanted spoiler[Chiho to be the only one to end up with Maou], then he shouldn't spent all of that time on spoiler[getting Emi to fall for Maou].
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I disagree entirely. Taking all of the 'contestants' feelings seriously and developing them is what all (good) love triangles do. There's a lot I don't like in Devil Part Timer, but the romance is one of the good parts, to me, because it treats about every one of them as serious. I can see how Chiho spoiler[realizing Emi's feelings and always still keeping her around because she doesn't want to separate them both can be seen as a meta way of her giving up and maybe because of that people thought the story wasn't treating her as serious of a love interest as Emi?] But if I don't agree with that premise to begin with, if I believed the same thing you do, I'd have to treat the story as flawed no matter who 'won'. spoiler[OK maybe I'd still find it weird if somehow Suzuno won]
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

spoiler[My big issue with the Tsundere always wins trope is largely how pervasive it was for a while - when you can tell the final resolution to the romantic subplot minutes into the first episode things have become rigidly formulaic, and detrimentally so. It's only recently I am seeing it subverted without having to go out of my way to track such an ending down.
The story can be very good - even Shakespeare told a similar plot, but it became EVERY story for too long.]
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Shipping wars is part of it, but it wouldn't really be an issue if the ending made sense in context. This, u,timately, is one of those series where a secondary/periphery character ends up "winning" because, it seems, the author would rather be subversive than deliver on the relationships that had been built up from day 1.

So: spoiler[ I don't have any inherent issue with Chiho "winning," but it just doesn't make sense in the context of the story, where she's a peripheral character with very little development (she's introduced as the normal girl infatuated with Maou, and there her characterization begins and ends) and the vast and overwhelming majority of character and relationship development occurs with Emi. A Chiho end could have worked well if it were built up more, and the Emi/Maou dynamic given more of a sibling dynamic... but that's simply not how the story was told.]

Finny-chan wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Ahahaha... pretty unpleasant for me. Think y'all just killed my interest in the series, given spoiler[Emilia gets so, so much more development, focus and ship tease than anyone else.]

spoiler[There is a chance they will go an anime original ending since a lot of people were disappointed with the ending of the LN and they will use it to boost sales I would be disappointed, but I would understand if they did go that route to appease the fanbase as us Maou x Chiho fans are just a small minority compared to the Maou x Emi fanbase. So if that happens both sides can be happy as both pairing will be technically canon!]

Then again they might not never animate that far though we will just have to see what they do from here on out since the first season only cover the first 3 volumes and we have I think 22?

It's possible the anime might go in a different direction, but I don't think that's very likely. Anime-original endings and story arcs are nowhere near so prevalent now as they used to be--and considering the huge amount of material left to cover, this won't really be relevant unless the show gets a 5th or 6th season.

I guess I really ought to have learned my lesson before now: never get suckered into a RomCom until you know whether or not it sticks the landing! Because so few do, and so many just fall apart at the end. Now I'm stuck looking at my bookshelf and realizing I wasted more than $100 on this series....

Same here I wonder what I should do with the Blurays ... Maybe burn them Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6