• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Horimiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the show but yea that relationship between Hori and Miyamura is incredibly toxic and doomed to eventually fail with how Hori ignores Miyamura's feelings all the time and is so possessive.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:
I enjoy the show but yea that relationship between Hori and Miyamura is incredibly toxic and doomed to eventually fail with how Hori ignores Miyamura's feelings all the time and is so possessive.

I dont know if Id say its doomed to fail necessarily, as they have all shown the ability to grow as characters, and are relatively open with their feelings (For anime characters especially). But they definitely need to have an open conversation about when/where something is appropriate and what works for both parties.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
I've been blitzing through the manga (currently on volume 10), and while I have been enjoying seeing it as one of my top 3 anime for this season, it's a shame a lot of content has been cut out. Granted, most of it is fluff, but it fleshes out their relationship more while also giving insight into how Miyamura handles standard relationship tropes like jealousy. For example, the whole Mizouchi thing was actually introduced when the gang was getting ready for the sports festival, a segment I fear has been left on the cutting board floor of CloverWorks studio. spoiler[Hori takes over painting a sign for Yoshikawa outside and doesn't bring a jacket, so Mizouchi lends her his own blazer to cover her legs. Miyamura comes along, notices the blazer, takes of his own cardigan and gives it to Hori to wear, and then proceeds to wear Mizouchi's blazer because he is cold, stating that Mizouchi wouldn't know who wore the blazer from body heat alone. Hori concludes that he's jealous and he responds with a blush and a frown.] Not as polarizing or extreme as Hori's reactions and outbursts of jealousy, but it shows that jealousy isn't a one-way street in their relationship. (Spoilered due to events that happen in the manga, just in case anyone wants to read/is currently reading it). Side note: I don't think we're getting the sports festival arc, it took place before the Mizouchi segment and the last Tanihara segment, considering the next episode title has 'snow' in the title. That's such a weird thing to omit.

Hori gets a bad rap, but considering how her parents act, I'm betting she picked it up from them. Minor tidbit in the manga but will spoiler again just in case, spoiler[Sengoku's father specifically warns his son to be careful around the Hori parents, both of them. Apparently they've been menaces since high school.] We can only pray for Souta to turn out right...
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's nice that Tanimura does want to try to make up for what he did (even if it's just because Hori terrifies him), and that he's having nightmares indicates that he picked on Miyamura because he was unhappy too.

Quote is from the article. I just wanted to point out that Tanimura isn't trying to make up with Miyamura because he's terrified of Hori. In fact, near the end of the episode, it's made clear he's always wanted to apologize because of what happened with the spoiler[bunnies]. The Hori stuff was mainly used to establish her feelings in regards to his past, than it was to establish a why Tanimura should make up with Miyamura.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the anime so far as an anime-only viewer, however, the episodes feel very segmented. There isn't a good flow to them and it feels very jumpy. I'm not sure how the manga is written but it feels this way in the anime. Also, it's too bad some parts are being left out so that may contribute to that.

As for the slapping scene, I felt that was really cringy. Especially the reaction of the boys watching. As other viewers have mentioned it feels like Hori is just selfish.

I'm liking the side cast more because I feel they have a more interesting story going on at this point. I hear the manga gives them more focus too so I'll check it!
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
For me these last couple of episodes have been nigh unwatchable due to personal discomfort. So question for manga readers: is sex going to be a main theme of the story going forward?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
For me these last couple of episodes have been nigh unwatchable due to personal discomfort. So question for manga readers: is sex going to be a main theme of the story going forward?

Others may disagree with me on this, but I don't think sex was ever really a main theme in the manga. It was a piece of their relationship, but not to the degree it's being presented in the anime. Why the anime decided to increase the emphasis is something I'm a bit baffled about - maybe someone thinks it's funny? - but honestly, based on the direction the anime is taking, if you're uncomfortable, I'd stop now and check the episode reviews or this thread to see if you want to go back to it.

In my opinion, if something is making you uncomfortable then you don't need to keep going.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Others may disagree with me on this, but I don't think sex was ever really a main theme in the manga. It was a piece of their relationship, but not to the degree it's being presented in the anime. Why the anime decided to increase the emphasis is something I'm a bit baffled about - maybe someone thinks it's funny? - but honestly, based on the direction the anime is taking, if you're uncomfortable, I'd stop now and check the episode reviews or this thread to see if you want to go back to it.

In my opinion, if something is making you uncomfortable then you don't need to keep going.

Thanks for the response! I'll probably do just that and will keep an eye on the episode reviews and see where it goes from here. Or maybe I'll pickup the manga as this sort of stuff is more digestible in book format, especially if it's to a lesser degree like you mentioned.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

Thanks for the response! I'll probably do just that and will keep an eye on the episode reviews and see where it goes from here. Or maybe I'll pickup the manga as this sort of stuff is more digestible in book format, especially if it's to a lesser degree like you mentioned.

The same events shown in the anime happen in the manga, but the latest anime episode skipped over a several chapter school festival arc where the more notable side characters (especially Toru, Sakura, and Yuki, if I recall) were the main focus. The anime has skipped chapters before, but those were mainly one-offs that didn't add much to the overall plot. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no second season of Horimiya, since the manga is ending soon, so if the next episode skips a bunch too, I'm guessing the anime is going to prioritize the main relationship going forward (though hopefully without leaving the side characters entirely in the dust).

But for now, skipping the school festival arc does make the uncomfortable nature of their relationship, as it currently stands, more emphasized. Note that I don't know where this is going; at the moment I'm just watching the anime and reading chapters through the end of the latest episode. So I can't speak to if their relationship balances out later. It would be disappointing if what Hori is doing isn't addressed seriously.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I was starting to think that I was fairly alone in seeing Hori's weird insistence against other guys, and more fine with girls, as anything other than homophobia/biphobia. I am looking around places to see what opinions are, but am seeing a lot of people defend her as not being homophobic, but she is just jealous or something. One I found saying that she might not be able to be able to get him back or something if it was another guy, because gay or something, which actually is a biphobia. It doesn't just become cute because she is a little insecure, and trying to dress it up as cute makes it kind of more insidious.

I was kind of into the possible hint at the start of the series where Miyamura maybe hinted at some bisexuality by answering that they are not a good fit in regards to a boy rather than saying that he is only interested in girls. But kind of feels like it has mostly been used as a joke against homosexuality.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was starting to think that I was fairly alone in seeing Hori's weird insistence against other guys, and more fine with girls, as anything other than homophobia/biphobia. I am looking around places to see what opinions are, but am seeing a lot of people defend her as not being homophobic, but she is just jealous or something. One I found saying that she might not be able to be able to get him back or something if it was another guy, because gay or something, which actually is a biphobia. It doesn't just become cute because she is a little insecure, and trying to dress it up as cute makes it kind of more insidious.

I was kind of into the possible hint at the start of the series where Miyamura maybe hinted at some bisexuality by answering that they are not a good fit in regards to a boy rather than saying that he is only interested in girls. But kind of feels like it has mostly been used as a joke against homosexuality.

I actually did research myself after I heard some polarizing reactions about the episodes; I think the author has implied that Miyamura is bisexual, or at least, is pansexual.

So yea, Hori's actions can indeed come off as biphobic/homophobic, not much leeway around that.

Man, talk about taking a complete 180; show started off so promising and cute, and it only took 10 episodes for the main couple's relationship to devolve into being incredibly toxic and unappealing. That's honestly impressive. I don't know what it says that Miyamura probably has better chemistry with his former bully his girlfriend at this point.

I dunno, did this happen in the manga? I don't think this was supposed to be intentional lol.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it’s just a bad tasteless joke by the author that doesn’t land well than outright bi or homophobia. I am not a big fan of this aspect of Hori’s character though or her wanting Miyamura to act violent. I do feel the manga goes down hill at this point but there are still good moments in the series and the latest chapters I read of the manga have been an improvement (but I doubt the anime will get to them) . Actually I feel I know where the anime will end and if so it’s a satisfying place to conclude things.

It’s a shame though because the anime really rushed through the best part of the series
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:

I actually did research myself after I heard some polarizing reactions about the episodes; I think the author has implied that Miyamura is bisexual, or at least, is pansexual.

So yea, Hori's actions can indeed come off as biphobic/homophobic, not much leeway around that.

Man, talk about taking a complete 180; show started off so promising and cute, and it only took 10 episodes for the main couple's relationship to devolve into being incredibly toxic and unappealing. That's honestly impressive. I don't know what it says that Miyamura probably has better chemistry with his former bully his girlfriend at this point.

I dunno, did this happen in the manga? I don't think this was supposed to be intentional lol.

Yeah, I saw a lot of discourse on social media trying to make excuses for Hori, saying she's just insecure, but yeah, that's biphobia. Biphobia born of insecurity or written as a joke is still biphobia. And I'm saying that as one of the seemingly few people remaining who still likes Hori!

(The people making excuses for her are still better than the ones I saw who were actively celebrating her biphobia though.)

As for whether this happens in the manga... yes, but like with the roleplay arc, there's a lot of other surrounding content where they're a happy, chill couple hanging out and having fun with their friends, so Hori's selfishness doesn't come across as nearly as toxic.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

As for whether this happens in the manga... yes, but like with the roleplay arc, there's a lot of other surrounding content where they're a happy, chill couple hanging out and having fun with their friends, so Hori's selfishness doesn't come across as nearly as toxic.

This is the problem with the anime adaptation in a nutshell - most, if not all, of the surrounding, slice-of-life content has been excised, and that was what gave us the context that their relationship isn't a bad one. Honestly, I would have liked an adaptation that covered maybe the first five volumes of the manga closely, leaving all of those little moments in.

Also, I want to apologize - I should have used the word "biphobic" not "homophobic" in the review. Words are important.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

This is the problem with the anime adaptation in a nutshell - most, if not all, of the surrounding, slice-of-life content has been excised, and that was what gave us the context that their relationship isn't a bad one. Honestly, I would have liked an adaptation that covered maybe the first five volumes of the manga closely, leaving all of those little moments in.

Also, I want to apologize - I should have used the word "biphobic" not "homophobic" in the review. Words are important.

Agreed! It makes me sad that the adaptation could end up driving people away from checking out the manga when they're so much sweeter in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8