• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yasuke Anime Reveals 6-Episode Length, April 29 Debut Worldwide on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This has the potential to be something fascinating... if it were done by almost anyone else but the creator of Cannon Busters.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 pm Reply with quote
For a moment I actually thought that this was a mecha anime.
HoshizoranoUtage

I didn't watch Cannon Busters, but from the comment above I'm assuming it's not a good show...Too bad, I kind of had hopes for this show. Yasuke's life sounds pretty interesting, and I've been a little curious about him ever since I saw him portrayed in Japanese live action historical dramas.
jdnation

Zeino wrote:
This has the potential to be something fascinating... if it were done by almost anyone else but the creator of Cannon Busters.

Considering everything that's been depicted about Oda Nobunaga I doubt it matters. Laughing

I'm guessing as fascinating as the historical Yasuke is, not much about him in particular is actually known aside as a footnote in history, so they'd pretty much be making things up for story purposes.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's not like there's anything endangered by what is sure to be an action-packed entertaining anime mini-series.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing about the game this thing was based on. But I more or less liked it.

Still have no interest in playing whatever cell phone game this is based on or whatever, but hey I'm in for some Valkyria Chronicles kind of thing.

Sega should make more Valkyria Chronicles, or games like it set in different worlds. So basically, this anime kind of scratched that itch for me in a way. I'm a sucker for intriguing political stories set within steam-punky mix of period-era and fantasy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So is this going to be a more serious Afro Samurai?
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
HoshizoranoUtage wrote:
I didn't watch Cannon Busters, but I'm assuming it's not a good show...Too bad, I kind of had hopes for this show. Yasuke's life sounds pretty interesting, and I've been a little curious about him ever since I saw him portrayed in Japanese live action historical dramas.

you're basing your opinion on this show from speculation of a series you haven't watched? it's only 6eps so why not give it a try?
KevinTran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This is why anime fans get a bad rep for their shitty ass opinions. I love anime but boy do the fans test me. LeSean Thomas is more than just the guy behind Cannon Busters. He was involved in Legend of Korra. Was a director on The Boondocks, and was involved in shows like Black Dynamite, Kim Possible, and Ben 10: Alien Force.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
HoshizoranoUtage wrote:
I didn't watch Cannon Busters, but I'm assuming it's not a good show...Too bad, I kind of had hopes for this show. Yasuke's life sounds pretty interesting, and I've been a little curious about him ever since I saw him portrayed in Japanese live action historical dramas.

you're basing your opinion on this show from speculation of a series you haven't watched? it's only 6eps so why not give it a try?

Don't worry, I'll definitely give it a try, since I usually like Nobunaga-related shows, but since I'm not familiar with the creator's other work I figured it couldn't hurt to listen to what other people have to say. The reviews for Cannon Busters aren't too encouraging either.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If I've learned one thing about Anime fans is that most are too opinionated when rating anime, so I don't really take them too seriously.
LouieKablouie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So is this going to be a more serious Afro Samurai?

No... Let's not just bunch shows together because they both have Black Samurai.

One is Fantasy/Sci-fi revenge story, and this one is more grounded in historical accuracy.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Cannon Busters. It wasn't the best show ever but it was a nice nostalgia trip back to anime of the late 90s/early 00s.

LouieKablouie wrote:
One is Fantasy/Sci-fi revenge story, and this one is more grounded in historical accuracy.

Netflix wrote:
In a war-torn feudal Japan filled with mechs and magic, the greatest ronin never known, Yasuke, struggles to maintain a peaceful existence after a past life of violence.

Yeah that sure sounds like it's grounded in historical accuracy.
LouieKablouie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
LouieKablouie wrote:

Netflix wrote:
In a war-torn feudal Japan filled with mechs and magic, the greatest ronin never known, Yasuke, struggles to maintain a peaceful existence after a past life of violence.

Yeah that sure sounds like it's grounded in historical accuracy.[/quote]

Lol well that's what I get for coming here immediately from Twitter. It's certainly an alternate take on history, that'll only follow the broad strokes.

Still I don't agree to compare it to Afro Samurai so haphazardly.
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
"An anime about Yasuke, a real life black samurai"

Awesome!

"From the creator of Cannon Busters"

...shit.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a pretty interesting idea for a show!

I’m hoping this will give Japanese people a better understanding of black people in their own history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2