• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Horror and Romance of Rural Higurashi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
That was an excellent article relating to the author, and more broadly the rural areas of Japan. Any chance for higher-red images here?
Madzack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
So, basically it's Twin Peaks but it's in Japan.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
nice article, i have not been to Japan, but it reminds me of my pilgrimage to durango mexico, where they filmed the old cowboy movies.i even went to a ranchs ruins complete with a well, that was pretty nice, some people live there mostly on agriculture and animal breeding, though a lot have relatives working in the usa ajd sending them money.
( for full disclosure i have relatives in that state including the rural areas , the older 9nes have worked as extras in cowboy movies)
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had the chance to read the full article due to time restraints but the topic does interest me so I plan reading it fully when time allows it.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
I hope to visit this area some day.

Back in 2014 I visited the Agatsuma district in Gunma prefecture and saw a Kamoshika (Japanese Serow):

Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
it's nice also how silent hill game drew this parallelism between isolated rural towns of america and japan heh, after all it is the most renowned survival game on a mountain area Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Genuinely curious what the author did while he was there--it's a tiny village, literally takes less than half a day if all you're doing is sight-seeing. Is there some aspect of the place that is worth the extra stay?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1