• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Anime Gets 10th Anniversary Event on April 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuma991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
I'll be happy even if they simply announce Magia Record S2 is cancelled and they won't milk the franchise anymore.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
I'll be happy even if they simply announce Magia Record S2 is cancelled and they won't milk the franchise anymore.

Speaking of Magia Record, what happened to Magia Record? It got season 2 last year and a year later we don't heard of it.
ScorpionCocktail

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:

Even made worse by the fact that Urobuchi left the franchise after the third movie, making a new entry for the main story highly unlikely. I haven't watched Magia Records, but from what I've heard, it wasn't good.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Speaking of Magia Record, what happened to Magia Record? It got season 2 last year and a year later we don't heard of it.

A mix of Covid-related issues I imagine (like everyone else) along with current SHAFT being current SHAFT. They're not the same with things like they were 10 years ago plus Season 1 took long as well having been announced in 2018 on the game's anniversary and originally planned to air in 2019 then got delayed to Winter 2020.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
kuma991 wrote:

The core problem with Magia Record is that while the game's story is quite good and written by people who were involved with the franchise since the original TV-series, the writing format of visual novels simply doesn't translate cleanly into anime format. Even setting aside the length of conversation in the main scenes, the anime needs to be experienced in a linear fashion; the game doesn't have that requirement, so the structure of its narrative is vastly different. All this means that the anime could only ever be a sort of Best Of compilation of the fanciest action scenes from the game while chop-chopping all the side content on assumption that you'll be a sane person and experience it through the game.

Unfortunately Aniplex is staffed largely by cretins obsessed with peddling overpriced BluRays, who for some reason assumed that the best course of action with letting people experience Magia Record is to use the original game as an advertisement for the anime, intentionally mismanage and shut it down, then use the dead game's twitter to advertise the TV adaptation's DVD releases.

So the result is that the anime undersold because most of the western fandom boycotted it over the game's shutdown, which means the core audience for the anticipated second season is also gone. This is why you don't let morons manage your franchise.
Bugypad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
kuma991 wrote:

The core problem with Magia Record is that while the game's story is quite good and written by people who were involved with the franchise since the original TV-series, the writing format of visual novels simply doesn't translate cleanly into anime format. Even setting aside the length of conversation in the main scenes, the anime needs to be experienced in a linear fashion; the game doesn't have that requirement, so the structure of its narrative is vastly different. All this means that the anime could only ever be a sort of Best Of compilation of the fanciest action scenes from the game while chop-chopping all the side content on assumption that you'll be a sane person and experience it through the game.

Unfortunately Aniplex is staffed largely by cretins obsessed with peddling overpriced BluRays, who for some reason assumed that the best course of action with letting people experience Magia Record is to use the original game as an advertisement for the anime, intentionally mismanage and shut it down, then use the dead game's twitter to advertise the TV adaptation's DVD releases.

So the result is that the anime undersold because most of the western fandom boycotted it over the game's shutdown, which means the core audience for the anticipated second season is also gone. This is why you don't let morons manage your franchise.

Lol its not like that Japan gives 2 shits about how popular an Anime is in the West. In the End, Japan sales count. And it definatly didn't underperform there.

I just hope that we will finally get the goddamn Rebellion Sequel soon. Because Rebellion ended on a fu***** big Cliffhangar.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
ScorpionCocktail wrote:
kuma991 wrote:

Even made worse by the fact that Urobuchi left the franchise after the third movie, making a new entry for the main story highly unlikely. I haven't watched Magia Records, but from what I've heard, it wasn't good.

Well I watched Magia Record and it wasn't all that bad. It just wasn't as good as the original series and I think that is what gave people a bad impression on it.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:

Well I watched Magia Record and it wasn't all that bad. It just wasn't as good as the original series and I think that is what gave people a bad impression on it.

The issue with Magia Record is that it lacked the shock factor from the original. If you don't compare every second of it to the original, it's a perfectly serviceable magical girl anime, which does quite a good job with the lore it had. Plus, Shaft's animation and Shinbo's direction made the anime enjoyable to me despite already having known the story from the game.

I think people expected something as shocking as Mami's death or Homura's reveal, then got disappointed when they never came. Hence why many of those deriding Magia Record use Urobuchi not being behind it as an argument for not liking it.
HappyMN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
Magia record isn't as bad as people say imo. It was obviously not as amazing as the original anime but it was fairly enjoyable, with an interesting story and despite bad animation quality the screenplay was beautiful.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the real big difference between the original Madoka and Magia Record is that the original was planned as a 12 episode show while Magia Record was planned as a two cour show so they have to stretch the plot further and they’re not going to reveal all their cards right off the bat. I personally really enjoyed Magia Record and I thought it had enough interesting plot twists on it’s own with their own take on Mami in the later half of the show. But it’s clear this first cour is meant to mainly be plot set up and to introduce the new original characters and to expand on the Madoka lore. But I find it ironic I see more people now demanding a sequel to Rebellion after Magia Record came out when people hated Rebellion when it first came out though I always liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1