• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I'm in Love with the Villainess Author Responds to Alterations in English-Language Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
Erica's statement of "It may have been Seven Seas who deleted the scene – which frankly makes no sense to me" is just straight up weird.

Perhaps not "it makes no sense that 7S would censor a book" but rather "it makes no sense that 7S would censor this particular narration".
juaifan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I also don't see why Erica thinks it's such an awful thing that fans contacted the original author over this, especially if the author does sometimes tweet in English. The author has a right to know what's being done with their work, don't they?

A lot of industry people dislike when fans complain about their translations. This is basically going directly to the manager to complain about a bad employee. Do not get me wrong: I agree translators should definitely be called out and held accountable for their censorship changes and think there's nothing wrong with informing the original creator of poor work. But a lot of industry and industry adjacent people dislike being criticized by their customers.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

I agree translators should definitely be called out and held accountable for their censorship changes and think there's nothing wrong with informing the original creator of poor work. .

To me, it isn't translator problem. It is more Seven Seas problem. Why would translator want to censor the LGBT topic in yuri LN? It makes no scene. Their job is to translate Japanese to English. Why would they censor their own translations? Also it absolutely make no scene that GL Bunko give Seven Seas so-called 'a bowdlerized copy with that scene deleted'. Erica is being obviously biased toward Seven Seas.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:
Their job is to translate Japanese to English. Why would they censor their own translations?

Because there's a lot of translators who openly brag about censorsing or inserting American politics into their translations on Twitter. Why would a translator alter a work? Because they think they can "fix" things in works they find unacceptable and problematic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Blunty put, these people should be fired. Immediately. If you're not doing you're job, you shouldn't be at the job.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Because there's a lot of translators who openly brag about censorsing or inserting American politics into their translations on Twitter. Why would a translator alter a work? Because they think they can "fix" things in works they find unacceptable and problematic.

Unless they want to announce themselves as homophobic person, they wouldn't censor homosexual and homophobia topic in a yuri LN which is why I say this isn't making any scene.
power moon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
hey guys, im new to the forums but i decided to register because i found something very interesting that might give some context to whats happening here:
https://curiouscat.qa/DistantValhalla/post/1192277176

i found it on the comment section of the okazu article
hopefully it gives out some answers and hopefully people realize that editorial changes like these dont happen overnight, they take months to take into effect, so maybe there will be other translation problems realising that were made before the change in process gets fully settled. maybe once the changes fully sets in this problems might be a thing of the past.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:

I don't know whether it is editorial changes or not but there are serval series. As far as the series I have read from series from Seven Seas goes...
Bloom into You(removed some important dialogs)
Adachi and Shimamura (also removed some dialogs)

So, what was removed? I'm particularly curious about Bloom Into You.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

So, what was removed? I'm particularly curious about Bloom Into You.

Many things over every volumes. I'm not gonna list those removed dialogs here since it will be a long list. Google 'Bloom into You: Regarding Seven Seas Mistakes'. You will find macadate wordpress page which show details of Seven Seas mistranslations and removed dialogs along with original JP texts on Bloom into You.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:

Many things over every volumes. I'm not gonna list those removed dialogs here since it will be a long list. Google 'Bloom into You: Regarding Seven Seas Mistakes'. You will find macadate wordpress page which show details of Seven Seas mistranslations and removed dialogs along with original JP texts on Bloom into You.

Oh, so this is about the manga series? I thought given the context, it was something about the novels (which I couldn't find entries on from the page you mentioned).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It saddens me to see seven sea's f*ck up so much as of late. They where one of the few companies I trusted when brining over material in the late 2000's and through 2010's.. Hell I still have all my Dance in the Vampire Bund material they've translated/brought over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
marshmallowpie wrote:
I also don't see why Erica thinks it's such an awful thing that fans contacted the original author over this, especially if the author does sometimes tweet in English. The author has a right to know what's being done with their work, don't they?

A lot of industry people dislike when fans complain about their translations. This is basically going directly to the manager to complain about a bad employee. Do not get me wrong: I agree translators should definitely be called out and held accountable for their censorship changes and think there's nothing wrong with informing the original creator of poor work. But a lot of industry and industry adjacent people dislike being criticized by their customers.

This is a misrepresentation. What translators dislike is people harassing them on social media. If you want to comment on the quality of someone's work, contact their office.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, harassment is awful. There's a huge difference between being critical and bullying someone.

Last edited by Saeryen on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:
I don't know whether it is editorial changes or not but there are serval series. As far as the series I have read from series from Seven Seas goes...
. . .
Roll Over and Die (this one can be either TL or editorial change or both since they mistook a character gender)

I have not heard anything about this one. Can you (or someone else who know what the poster is talking about) elaborate? I have read the first two novels and cannot think of any character that this could apply to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Yes, harassment is awful. There's a huge difference between being critically and bullying someone.

There is a time and a place for being critical. This is why all the publishers have official channels where people can talk about such things. There's really no need to go on a translator's social media to do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6