• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I'm in Love with the Villainess Author Responds to Alterations in English-Language Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I have not heard anything about this one. Can you (or someone else who know what the poster is talking about) elaborate? I have read the first two novels and cannot think of any character that this could apply to.

You could ask Shiroi Hane directly here on forums, it was them that called it out on twitter;
https://twitter.com/shiroihane/status/1301655498731778050 (do note the tweets are from September 2020)

However it turns out it isn't just that, a paragraph's worth was excised, perhaps because of the type of content;
https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/4188/seven-seas-in-trouble-for-heavy-alterations-and-censorship-of-light-novels/123
The Japanese text in the post is from a volume purchased on Bookwalker, so it's not just someone mistakenly comparing it to the webnovel version.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:

So, what was removed? I'm particularly curious about Bloom Into You.

Many things over every volumes. I'm not gonna list those removed dialogs here since it will be a long list. Google 'Bloom into You: Regarding Seven Seas Mistakes'. You will find macadate wordpress page which show details of Seven Seas mistranslations and removed dialogs along with original JP texts on Bloom into You.

So I searched this up and it's just a lot of nitpicking. Some basic spelling/grammar errors and some lines translated differently than that one person thinks they should have been but that doesn't change the story either way.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
You could ask Shiroi Hane directly here on forums, it was them that called it out on twitter;
https://twitter.com/shiroihane/status/1301655498731778050 (do note the tweets are from September 2020)

However it turns out it isn't just that, a paragraph's worth was excised, perhaps because of the type of content;
https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/4188/seven-seas-in-trouble-for-heavy-alterations-and-censorship-of-light-novels/123
The Japanese text in the post is from a volume purchased on Bookwalker, so it's not just someone mistakenly comparing it to the webnovel version.

After looking at this, I'm willing to believe that it really was deleted; one line in the eBook version I have makes more sense with the missing content present, as it's a direct response to one of those missing lines. Some of the missing content is a little repetitive, but it's not that much harsher in wording than anything else in the novel. Would be interested in hearing an explanation for why it was deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:
Unless they want to announce themselves as homophobic person

You do know that a lot of people do exactly that, right?
edit:
Yuri is Life wrote:
Adachi and Shimamura (also removed some dialogs)

Got any details on what?
marshmallowpie wrote:
Isn't a passage like this what translation notes are for?

Yes, but one philosophy about translation is that they're only used by translators who aren't imaginative enough to translate things properly.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Yes, but one philosophy about translation is that they're only used by translators who aren't imaginative enough to translate things properly.

I suppose it's personal preference, but I've never had any issue with translator notes. I'd much rather a small note explain a pun or minor detail than a complete change or removal of something. Although I wouldn't mind no note at all either. I don't think a Japanese character talking about a thing on Japanese TV needs to be explained at all. If someone is that interested enough in the subject they can look it up and research for themselves what the character is referencing. It's not like every American knows every American political, economic, or pop culture aspect of their own country.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm fine with translator's notes too - the philosophy I mentioned tends not to cope well with the reality that many things can't be cleanly translated. As for whether a character talking about a thing on Japanese TV needs a note at all, as with all translations, it depends a lot on the details and the context it's in. I'm not familiar with the specifics on this one, so take this with a grain of salt, but with this sort of thing it could be possible to rephrase and/or expand the dialogue a little bit to convey the relevant information. A translator's note for it would be fine but some might see as a bit clunky, but having a clunky one or leaving the line as is without any explanation are all still better than just leaving the line out because it's too hard.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
So I searched this up and it's just a lot of nitpicking. Some basic spelling/grammar errors and some lines translated differently than that one person thinks they should have been but that doesn't change the story either way.

The only problem is that a lot of nitpicking combined to one big problem later on when Bloom into You is a series which heavily rely on texts. Because they remove things on early volume, they couldn't reference to that sentence as a result. We have to pay more than JP version for each volume and they surely could do better than what they have done or show improvement each volume. But they keep doing the same mistakes over and over again.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Yuri is Life wrote:
Adachi and Shimamura (also removed some dialogs)

Got any details on what?

I'm not gonna say that it change the story but I read both FanTL and Seven Seas. And it might have been my preference, but I found description of character appearance is more detailed in FanTL. for example, Seven Seas shortened Adachi appearance as a 'resting bitch face' which is quite unfitting to Adachi character. FanTL translated it as a 'her eyes were confident and her facial expression looked cold' which is more fitting for Adachi who was described as a girl who show no friendliness and act cold toward other person on later volumes. There are more than shortening description of character appearance.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:
Florete wrote:

The only problem is that a lot of nitpicking combined to one big problem later on when Bloom into You is a series which heavily rely on texts. Because they remove things on early volume, they couldn't reference to that sentence as a result. We have to pay more than JP version for each volume and they surely could do better than what they have done or show improvement each volume. But they keep doing the same mistakes over and over again.

Seven Seas' manga editorial team did not intentionally censor or remove text from Bloom Into You's manga. I know there were some name errors that slipped through the copy editing process on the first printing of volume 1, but fans informed us of those errors and we corrected them for later printings. We also added additional proofreading checks into our manga production process, but the occasional error can crop up in a book no matter how many people look at or steps you put a book through. If fans do happen to come across an error, though, we always encourages readers to let us know of issues they spot by using the contact form on our website or by letting us know on social media as we do fix things.

Last edited by adam_omega on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:

I'm not gonna say that it change the story but I read both FanTL and Seven Seas. And it might have been my preference, but I found description of character appearance is more detailed in FanTL. for example, Seven Seas shortened Adachi appearance as a 'resting bitch face' which is quite unfitting to Adachi character. FanTL translated it as a 'her eyes were confident and her facial expression looked cold' which is more fitting for Adachi who was described as a girl who show no friendliness and act cold toward other person on later volumes. There are more than shortening description of character appearance.
If they're both conveying same general meaning, having a personal preference for one translation over the other is not the same thing as the situation with Villianness where an entire paragraph was deleted. Funimation has also made similar line changes for the dub of the Adachi dub where they add some modern slang in like having Shimamura say "depresso expresso" at one point but people seem to generally be fine with the dub of the anime as far as I know.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yuri is Life wrote:

Then that's not so much removing dialogue, but just being less long-winded in a description than you would prefer. Being blunt where the fan translation was a bit more poetic might be a questionable translation decision, but even there it could well be that the fan translation is the one that made a questionable decision; that's far from unheard of.
juaifan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
This is a misrepresentation. What translators dislike is people harassing them on social media. If you want to comment on the quality of someone's work, contact their office.

If I meant harassment I would have said harassment. It sounds like you're the one trying to misrepresent what I said here. Unless you consider something like the original Tweet that pointed this instance out is harassment

As far as contacting the company quietly and not posting this stuff on forums or social media: of course not. Seven Seas never would have made the update statement if people weren't openly talking about the change and criticizing things which forced them to do some PR control. Obviously that's what people who do this stuff want since private emails from concerned customers can be ignored and discarded very easily. What they can't ignore is thousands of people talking about something on various websites and forums. There is nothing wrong with publicly informing people of a work being altered.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
You might have some slightly crossed wires on the issue here. Public criticism of the quality of the work is fine. Directing criticism, however phrased, at the translator's personal twitter account is not the best way to do it; directing it to the company's account would be better.
Yuri is Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

Seven Seas' manga editorial team did not intentionally censor or remove text from Bloom Into You's manga. I know there were some name errors that slipped through the copy editing process on the first printing of volume 1, but fans informed us of those errors and we corrected them for later printings. We also added additional proofreading checks into our manga production process, but the occasional error can crop up in a book no matter how many people look at or steps you put a book through. If fans do happen to come across an error, though, we always encourages readers to let us know of issues they spot by using the contact form on our website or by letting us know on social media as we do fix things.

Good to know that you guys fixed things later on but may I ask you one thing? In Roll Over and Die, Seven Seas removed the part that is LN-addition according to a user in J-Novels Club forum Does it mean your editors remove a part which differentiate between WN and LN? Will it be addressed too?
Kabu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Did we ever find out what type of content in classroom of the elite was removed.

They tend to summarize ton of information. But sometimes is even worse, and entire paragraphs of internal analysis and descriptions are literally removed. Volume 7 in particular was mutilated so bad that caused a huge backlash from the community. It was a disaster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6