• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Horimiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Had to perform a little cleanup. I suggest everyone stay civil and cease with any further insults or mentions of off topic political figures. If you can't post without commenting on people personally, don't post.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Had to perform a little cleanup. I suggest everyone stay civil and cease with any further insults or mentions of off topic political figures. If you can't post without commenting on people personally, don't post.

Fine. I just think Rebecca Silverman made way, way too big of a deal out of a 16 year old girl's insecurity, and jumped to the worst possible conclusions about her (and the show in general) when there are other perfectly reasonable interpretations.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
In this weeks episode; a character I barely remember and his little sister... do stuff.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
They skipped so much material they are somehow up to the last volume I have read which is Vol 13 (I am one volume behind the English release)
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
And since the manga ended this month, I wonder if they'll add that spoiler[in my honest opinion, extremely underwhelming]ending.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's hope that the show can keep that up for one last episode.

This show has 13 episodes, so there are two left.

I've been reading the manga as the show adapts it. So much was skipped this episode that I needed a break after reading volumes 10 and 11, of which only one chapter was adapted previously and a partial chapter about Iura was adapted in this episode. However, I feel that while a number of nice moments have been skipped (including a whole set of chapters set around the winter holidays), there were only two or so chapters that notably changed relationships. Maybe the next episode will get back to one of them in a different setting, because it seems pretty important. But it makes sense that they skipped a whole lot this time.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:

This show has 13 episodes, so there are two left.

My mistake, thank you! Actually, that makes me feel a lot better, since with Passover coming up I have a crazy weekend and I was feeling badly about being late with what I thought was the last episode.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
My first thought at the confession was 'you're both only like 17, been dating/only knew each other like a year, have several major relationship disfunctions especially with Hori with her kink and possessiveness, and are still in High School so you may be jumping the gun a bit on that'.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Was a bit disheartening to see how this show unfolded, buckling under its episode count. Although not on the same level of disaster, it almost feels similar to Promised Neverland S2. Where the manga has ended or is about to end, and so they don't bother giving the show the extra time/extra season it really needed because soon there won't be a product to advertise.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then to add insult to injury, the ending credits roll over scenes from the manga that never made it into the anime.

I really did not like that the episode did this. Showing off scenes that you skipped to get to the end of the series is such a weird decision. Why draw attention to the shows pacing issues by showing off all these moments.

The reviews have been fun to read each week Rebecca. Thanks for doing these. Very Happy
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Horimiya maybe done, but the OVA isn't. Eps 5 and 6 for Hori-san OVA is due out next month Very Happy
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well it was a nice sweet ending. Its a shame the show didn't maintain the quality of those initial episodes.

Still it was better over all. Smile
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Was a bit disheartening to see how this show unfolded, buckling under its episode count. Although not on the same level of disaster, it almost feels similar to Promised Neverland S2. Where the manga has ended or is about to end, and so they don't bother giving the show the extra time/extra season it really needed because soon there won't be a product to advertise.

Ok. No offense but when people say “a studio won’t bother with continuing the anime because they don’t have to promote the manga/light novel anymore,” it kind of bugs me. Because anime adaptation don’t exist solely to be advertisement.

There’s a lot of reasons anime adaptations are made. Sometimes it’s because companies see that it’s a good investment. And other times, it’s because a studio or a director actually wants to adapt it. Maybe it’s a mix of a these factors and the publishers wanting to cash in on a popular manga.

Point is- no studio would quickly give up on an anime just because its source material finished. If anything, I imagine that works BEST for them because they won’t have to create (potentially controversial) anime original content or end with a “no ending.”

Personally, to me it can’t be a coincidence that Horimiya’s manga ended just earlier this March, right when it got its long awaited anime adaptation. I’m guessing someone in charge wanted to hold back on an anime until they knew for sure how the manga was going to end.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Ok. No offense but when people say “a studio won’t bother with continuing the anime because they don’t have to promote the manga/light novel anymore,” it kind of bugs me. Because anime adaptation don’t exist solely to be advertisement.

At the end of the day all anime adaptations are advertisements. They are obviously not solely that, nobody is implying otherwise. But they are predominately that for the majority of anime released. This is why so few light novel adaptations get more than a single season or two - those season have done their job of advertising the light novels and getting an injection of new readers.

You're also greatly overestimating the degree to which individual studios have a say in these decisions, compared to production committees making financially-beneficial moves to push product. And again, if you believe otherwise, come up with a better explanation for why series like Promised Neverland end up the way they do than "there was no longer a fresh product to sell, so the production committee cut the chord and rushed the production to an end".
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

At the end of the day all anime adaptations are advertisements. They are obviously not solely that, nobody is implying otherwise. But they are predominately that for the majority of anime released. This is why so few light novel adaptations get more than a single season or two - those season have done their job of advertising the light novels and getting an injection of new readers.

You're also greatly overestimating the degree to which individual studios have a say in these decisions, compared to production committees making financially-beneficial moves to push product. And again, if you believe otherwise, come up with a better explanation for why series like Promised Neverland end up the way they do than "there was no longer a fresh product to sell, so the production committee cut the chord and rushed the production to an end".

Do you have actual proof that is the primary reason why some adaptations don’t get more than 1-2 seasons? Is it just cause they’re advertisement? Or simply that the anime didn’t garner enough attention to be worth continuing? Often the popularity of the source material doesn’t matter if the anime itself wasn’t well received.

Or maybe just that the Light Novel wasn’t complete and they don’t want to continue without knowing how it will end?

Devil is a Part-Timer is a good example. After 8 years, its anime got confirmed for a 2nd season this year. What happened with the Light Novel? It ended last year in August.

And in this case with Horimiya- maybe one season is all they could afford? Maybe some higher up thought that was all they needed? Can’t just assume it’s because the manga ended, because the manga wasn’t even finished when they started the anime. And you can still advertise for a finished manga. It’s not like the published volumes will vanish from bookstores once a series ends.

As for the Promised Neverland- we can’t come to any conclusion about what happened because NO ONE has confirmed anything. Did they have less companies investing in the project, so they could only afford one last season? Did they see how the manga’s popularity faltered as it got closer to ending, and didn’t want to adapt the controversial content? Did the creator and writer of PN themselves want to try a different route and ended up realizing too late that it was a bad idea?

Again- nothing is confirmed. So who can really say?

I’m going to stop here because this thread is about Horimiya. Not this.

But if you want to learn more, I recommend you check out The Canipa Effect on YouTube. He’s greatly invested in Anime Production and has even interviewed people in the industry. He has a video about exactly what we’re discussing that explains it better than I ever could.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8