• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Sigh. I am so so sorry to have to read reviews like this one that try so hard to say "meaningful things" intended to show the author is sophisticaled in Anime things and can and will be happy to pour their shallow analysis all over us the reader. I am sorry but you just dont have a clue about what makes this a superb show. It is NOT based on any form or philosophy or "spokesman" or lead charcters, that is trivial and meaningless babble ..this show is sublime because it uses the very best qualities of Anime to make magic plain and simple.

it is painful to a Japanese person to see our culture cut up in little pieces by this kind of review. There is far far more "under the hood" of this splendid show. What I would have enjoyed much more would be a sensitive and sympathetic discussion of the author (the reviewer not the author of the story) of the author's personal feelings that the show evoked.

i have skillfully avoided reading reviews of good anime and stumbled on this one by accident but i just had to share a bit. I will return to the actual show as it continues to spin its magical path. thanks so much Director, artists and staff for making this happen for us, it shows that Anime can and does continue to spin superb magic from all sorts of stories.

thank you.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
What I would have enjoyed much more would be a sensitive and sympathetic discussion of the author (the reviewer not the author of the story) of the author's personal feelings that the show evoked.

I'm pretty sure that's already what the reviewer is doing, at least from my own perspective. He does often comment about how each episode personally makes him feel.

If you don't like his approach to the series, that's fine. I'm not Japanese myself, so I won't comment on what you mentioned about Japanese culture, but I don't feel like he's trying to overanalyze the series or anything.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the bike ride with Rin and grandpa. It said so much without using any words at all.

Having the main characters' family being such a proactive and positive presence in the series is something we see far too seldom in high school anime.
timber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their journey also highlights various manmade and cultivated wonders, like wasabi ice cream, shrimp statues, cherry blossom viewing, and large hamburgers.

Too me more than the size of the hamburger it is the content that is the highlight: camenbert and fried fish!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Makes me sad there is no home video release for this series. Maybe after the second series finishes airing
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the Secret Society B.L.A.N.K.E.T. figma, I desperately want a figure of sleepy Rin from this week wrapped in a blanket on her camping chair. That scene was so comfy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Makes me sad there is no home video release for this series. Maybe after the second series finishes airing

Let me share in your sadness. If it doesn't get one that will be the final proof that my theory of there being no justice in the world is correct.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
All those foods shown so far especially the ones on Episode 11 needs to be suggested to be recreated for Binging with Babish. Surprised

The way Nadeshiko reused the broth for a different meal intrigues me.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The "Toba is drunk and can't drive" was funny, but it's not like she wouldn't be able to drive after one sip, wish it was done slightly different so it could work better.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The way Nadeshiko reused the broth for a different meal intrigues me.

I've done that... I think my record is rolling over for six meals in a row.
poltroon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
The Izu arc is a beautiful arc of a beautiful show. And I mean that in the very literal sense, as the review states: the art is just so lovely and so carefully produced. It's relaxing and funny and just delightful. I find myself opening a map after the show to learn more about the places I've seen.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
I was caught off guard with there being a 13th episode (because I wrongfully assumed this season would be 12 episodes just like the first one.)

Basically, I think this has got to be the weirdest time for me to incredulously say "Wait... there's another episode of this?!"
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The "Toba is drunk and can't drive" was funny, but it's not like she wouldn't be able to drive after one sip, wish it was done slightly different so it could work better.

How should they have done it better? Driving in Japan under the influence of alcohol is strictly prohibited. One good sip of a beer can already be enough to reach the tolerance of 0.03g of alcohol in the blood of certain people. You immediately breach the law if you do that. As a teacher and role model, Minami would never do that. Moreover, if the passengers know that the driver is under the influence of alcohol, they are themselves in breach of the law. You don't want poor Nadeshiko & co. given a hefty fine by the police, do you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
I love Yuru Camp with all my heart but the teacher being able to drink around her students when she is chaperoning them doesn’t make sense to me to begin with. It is the one thing that feels very unrealistic to me.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I love Yuru Camp with all my heart but the teacher being able to drink around her students when she is chaperoning them doesn’t make sense to me to begin with. It is the one thing that feels very unrealistic to me.

I understand to a certain extent, but I accept it as a trope of anime at this point. There's a surprising amount of alcoholic teachers in anime. I can justify it by saying she's not "on the job" while camping, she's accompanying them as a chaperone on her own time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4