• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Even before we learned about Zeke, Grisha Jaeger wasn’t winning any Father of the Year awards in my eyes. This is the man who turned his own young son into a Titan shifter without any explanation knowing full well he was shortening his life. I know there are a lot of explanations for why—Grisha couldn’t trust any one on Paradis with his titans (he had Attack & Founder) or the truth...But I don’t buy it.

Grisha had worked in underground secret resistance building his entire adult life, and he had contacts at the military who he knew were chafing at their government, but he couldn’t find any adults to ally with?

No, he specifically wanted and chose to use his son, his extension of himself, as a tool towards achieving his goal. He had so much faith in his progeny that he didn’t need to explain it. He had so little actual affection and love for him that he was willing to inflict a death sentence on Eren to achieve salvation for Eldia...just like he was planning to do with Zeke.

Zeke is right in one thing: both he and Eren are victims of their father.

I know the manga portrays Grisha more sympathetically than my interpretation spoiler[ emphasizing that he learned his lesson, changed and became more loving as a father after what happened in Liberio. And there’s the whole timey-wimey plot point of *Eren* manipulating his father to take action...]
But I stand by my interpretation of Grisha as a Bad Dad, even if it’s not or won’t be 100% canonical
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Pixis' statement a few episodes ago that the best way to tell lie is to mix some of the truth into it, is something that should be kept in mind for anime watchers.

If any anime-onlys are itching for answers, Crunchyroll has chapters 115-138 of the manga available to read (if you have the proper subscription level). Nearly everything has been answered, save for a few things left for the last chapter coming April 9th.

(episode 15/74 adapts past a little past chapter 114 and into chapter 115, so it's the perfect jumping on point)
yuzumei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel a bit disappointed with episode 14.

We the audience should have had learned about the wine's mystery ingredient with Levi in the woods not at Niccolos restaurant.

Think about it. Learning about Zeke's juice while 30 soldiers transformed into titans or learning about it when Niccolo explained it to our heroes at the restaurant. Which one generate more impact?

That scene when the soldiers transformed had less impact because we the audience knew about Zeke's wine from Niccolo. The scene at the woods could have been epic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Did Eren really hate them, though? To me it seemed like he was trying to paint himself as unnecessarily hateful and cruel, and he got nothing from this call. To me it looked like he was trying to cut them off, the usual "I'll make you hate me so you don't get caught up in this/can be safe".

I would like to hope. However, he already got them involved with his pre-emptive strike earlier in the season. Also, why would he be ok with sacrificing the Jeagerists by involving them, but not Armin and Mikasa? He went in hostile. He didn't need to have his hand cut, he and the Jeagerists had the upper-hand, but he did because he viewed them as enemies to be subdued.

Hatred here is not a personal hatred, although it definitely comes across that way. His hatred comes from the idea that they are weak and not free, and that hatred is consistent with Eren throughout the series.

Because Eren knows that no matter how much Mikasa and Armin care about him, they would never go along with the actions he's taken. Sure, he got them involved in Libero, but they could have easily opted out and left him to his fate.

Eren doesn't have much, if any, emotional attachment to the Yaegerists as he does with Mikasa and Armin, his literal two oldest friends. While what he's saying may have some merit of truth, it's pretty plain as day that he's intentionally trying to push them away because Eren should be more than aware that Mikasa would follow him into hell if he said so.

from this ep alone, its more or less confirms that eren is attempting to do a lelouch from code geass! anyone who have seen that series could easily recognise the similarities!

my only hope is that AoT dont end up going down that infamous rabbit hole like with akame ga kill and iron blooded orphans for that reviewer's quotation regarding the texas chainsaw massacre have me worried as hell that the series is planning to do a "KILL EM ALL TOMINO STYLE" scenario when it is all said and done! ESPECIALLY after what happened with sasha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Originally I thought this would end on chapter 123 but it will do it in 116, both are decent moments to end but I prefer 123 cliffhanger... what I don't get is that there is nothing special on the animation, why only 16 episodes?

HeroAcademia has a similar/superior animation level and AoT its more popular, yet HA gets 24 episodes and AoT 16...

The only logical conclusion I can make is that this break was originally to get the Anime and the Manga to end at the same time and Covid messed up the release plans and then they couldn't change the contracts or something.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
^
Or they just calculated that they couldn't do it in a number of episodes equal to a cour without overly rushing things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
Zeke is very clearly projecting as he comes to the conclusion that sterelization is the only solution. He doesn't necessarily want Eldians to die. I don't even think other people factored in on his decisions. He simply realized that he, a failure of a person who didn't do enough for his father and who was hated by his world, should never been born. And if that is true for him then of course that this would be true for every single Eldian. It's a logical black hole.

As for Levi leaving the thunder spear on Zeke, he didn't expect him to go all out. The guy was driven, he was willing to do everything that he could for the sake of his plan and, as far as Levi knew, there was no way he coudl've survived the detonation of that thunder spear. Levi simply misread Zeke and paid for it.
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
While I was impressed with MAPPA's work with the battle between Erin and the Warhammer Titan, I fall into the camp that feels this scene between Levi and Zeke in "Savagery" was just simply underwhelming - the music, the pacing, the animation - all lackluster. I have been waiting to see this scene animated since reading Chapter #113 on it's release. I was expecting something on the level that Arifumi Imai gave us in Episode 54 when Levi completely owns Zeke after the bombardment of the Scout forces. There is a panel in #113 where Levi looks like the angel of death coming for Zeke; this was completely absent from the animation. Why? Readers, like me, were raving about how bad@$$ it was. How could you NOT include this? I hate to complain, but it was truly disappointing to see how this EPIC sequence was handled. Imai's contributions are surely missed this season.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
As for Levi leaving the thunder spear on Zeke, he didn't expect him to go all out. The guy was driven, he was willing to do everything that he could for the sake of his plan and, as far as Levi knew, there was no way he coudl've survived the detonation of that thunder spear. Levi simply misread Zeke and paid for it.

Well, he of all people should know that making assumptions about how people will act can screw you up big time. That's precisely how he got Zeke, by the man's own admission!
So now that Levi has him cornered and tells him that he's out of options... he goes and gives him the trigger to a bomb? How idiotic do you have not to see the potential outcome? Specially considering that one of the two has regenerative powers, and that one is not Levi.

Zeke had no reason NOT to detonate that bomb: he's dead meat anyway (unless he survives the explosion for long enough) and doing so will take out his most dangerous enemy and refuse them a weapon to undo his plans.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Zeke had no reason NOT to detonate that bomb: he's dead meat anyway (unless he survives the explosion for long enough) and doing so will take out his most dangerous enemy and refuse them a weapon to undo his plans.

I'm on the side that feels that the manga's popularity led to the writing taking a plunge with these last arcs- how this "cliffhanger" is resolved being a reason.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Zeke wasn't going to die from the wound he had at that moment. Both he and Levi knew that. But, as far as Levi knew, he would die from the thunderspear. So the logic is "he will not kill himself as that would destroy his plan so he'll probably bid his time and look for a way out. Until then, I can hold him back with the thunderspear. And if he triggers it, he's dead". Thing is, Zeke thought exactly like you mentioned so Levi's conjecture just blew off in his face.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
As expected part 2 on the autumn
Announced at end of ep 16 broadcast
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Ep16 finishes on rooftop just as jaw titan goes fo Eren and the Marley Calvary arrives in airships with Reiner ready for a fight ]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure how to feel about this, i certainly like the direction in theory. It feels like another parallel to, but exclusively, 1930s Germany. When chaos and fear grip, some people will take control by force. it seems more fitting for this series to go down in flames then have a happy ever after.

The issue I'm having is with Erens attitudes towards Mikasa and Armin. He must either be lying to them, or the author has retconned the story. Because the story up until recently has proved otherwise, and his younger self was not good at bluffing or lying.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
from this ep alone, its more or less confirms that eren is attempting to do a lelouch from code geass! anyone who have seen that series could easily recognise the similarities!

That's what I'm thinking as well (I haven't read the rest of the manga, by the way), so I strongly suspect that when Armin cried, it was because he was the only one to realize Eren's actual intentions, which probably have nothing to do with going along with Zeke's "euthanization" plan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 23