• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
As someone who read and (mostly) enjoyed the manga, dear god this is awful. I was genuinely angry watching this. They skip over one of the most important plotlines in the manga (spoiler[The Promise and Emma making her own]) and then have the audacity to bring it back in the form of a f*cking slideshow. Even though I know they were doing a bad job I didn't think they could do even worse than they'd already done.

I'm just gonna go daydream about a world where we got a fully-fledged adaptation of the Goldy Pond arc instead of this crap
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
Alright, I've read the entire manga, but have not touched season 2, so how bad is this?

What arcs and characters were removed from the story and what was rushed. I'm honestly curious how much of a mess this turned into.

You remember all the good stuff in the manga? spoiler[The Goldy Pond arc? The intense raid on the bunker that ended with several characters dying? The sick as hell fight with the Royal demons? The flashback to how The Promise was made? Emma's journey to find the little dragon dude and make her own Promise?] Yeah all that either completely skipped or condensed to a literal slideshow. I think this may be the worst anime adaptation I've had the misfortune of watching.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Certainly says something when I found Redo of a Healer of all things to be more entertaining to watch. One is sort of amusing in its badness, TPN unfortunately just fails on all points. Shame.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
cyborgkiddo wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
Alright, I've read the entire manga, but have not touched season 2, so how bad is this?

What arcs and characters were removed from the story and what was rushed. I'm honestly curious how much of a mess this turned into.

You remember all the good stuff in the manga? spoiler[The Goldy Pond arc? The intense raid on the bunker that ended with several characters dying? The sick as hell fight with the Royal demons? The flashback to how The Promise was made? Emma's journey to find the little dragon dude and make her own Promise?] Yeah all that either completely skipped or condensed to a literal slideshow. I think this may be the worst anime adaptation I've had the misfortune of watching.

Dam, so they basically just rushed through the entire story.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

Dam, so they basically just rushed through the entire story.

Saying they "rushed" it is too kind.

They quite literally gave up and made a slideshow. Laughing
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely brutal, James.

I don't think anyone expected TPN to crash and burn like this given the stellar first arc of the story. Sadly, even in the manga, the final third of the story doesn't quite reach the heights of the first arc and even the cut Goldy Pond Arc.

This anime could even be counted as a blessing. Anytime TPN is recalled it will be in relation to the dumpster-fire of its anime's second season rather than the very real issues with how the manga ultimately concluded.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mujika gets some kind of coronation, and then maybe ends up falling in love with Emma?

I'm gonna say "yes" just so I can say there was at least one thing nice about this episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it worse for bad art to make you feel actively upset with its failures, or for it to evoke no emotional response whatsoever?

Remember, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Absolutely brutal, James.

I don't think anyone expected TPN to crash and burn like this given the stellar first arc of the story. Sadly, even in the manga, the final third of the story doesn't quite reach the heights of the first arc and even the cut Goldy Pond Arc.

This anime could even be counted as a blessing. Anytime TPN is recalled it will be in relation to the dumpster-fire of its anime's second season rather than the very real issues with how the manga ultimately concluded.

especially with ray's mother who did not face such a kind fate in the manga! not to mention that they did the promise with emma completely wrong!

after this, i am SERIOUSLY SCARED that demon slayer's eventual second season might end up like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, we have that anime series, where New York City was the gateway to Hell. So why not to a world with human farms.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
after this, i am SERIOUSLY SCARED that demon slayer's eventual second season might end up like this!

I...Uh...Definitely hope Ufotable won’t be THAT careless. Demon Slayer and its movie are such massive hits, that it be a dumb move to stray from what they’ve been doing.

Anyway.

Wow. That was. Wow. Even if I was personally disappointed with the manga...It wasn’t. This. To be fair, I also felt pretty apathetic by the end of the manga (like a “well...Yeah...It ended” apathetic.) But the anime’s ending...I never imagined I could reach a higher level of feeling nothing.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I will defend the final act of The Promised Neverland manga as being genuine great and most of the criticisms against it being inherently rooted in bad politics until the end. But this anime season.... It may be not be among the absolute worst of the worst of Japanese animation that I've ever beheld but it has to be the most upsetting to witness unfold for me in real time at least.

Last edited by Zeino on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
MauValmont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ray had both ears during the last ep when they show the flashback of Emma's discussion about wanting to make another promise. Won't even bother discussing the rest of this ep as that detail alone is pretty telling of how little effort they put into it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
I have a theory for why this ending came about. They had to fast-forward to the immediate story end to get a third season for an even more anime-original story where the human and demon worlds are having an interstellar war because of the "promise" being broken which will require the Grace Field kids, now adults, to make and pilot giant fighting robots in space... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11