• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
Argh! I can't unsee it.
The hanger fight scene, They have shadows on the faces and bodies with highlights... but then they will forget to put ground shadows under the characters half the time.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
You know, I never thought of World Trigger as being a stealth sports manga/anime until reading the most recent episode review and some of the comments here, but it makes a lot of sense. Many of the best elements of good sports manga are there: tight, tense pacing; a strong emphasis on strategy and team dynamics; play-by-play commentary (in the Rank Wars); and so on. Perhaps this partially explains why I've been so taken with this series compared to other shounen battle manga.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
Spider is an excellent trigger in the right situation and it plays very well to Tamakoma's style as it serves as both a crowd control tech and also allows Kuuga to have a pseudo-Grasshopper without having to spend Trion on it. It's also a very useful tech for psychological warfare and mind tricks, both things Mikumo is really good at.

As for Katori, she's like one of those super toxic gamers who has a lot of talent and plays damn well but loses her cool and ends up making silly mistakes. In that sense, she's like a Nasu but without the calm and this fight demonstrates that very clearly. She's a good ace but she's not a good leader or even a good teamplayer, sadly.

The Lead Bullet sniping is also a good trick since shields can't block it. Although for Chika's case this is just a second best solution given that an Ibis or even a Lightning shot from her would most likely shred through any shield this side of Ninomiya.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
So good to have our team finally back in action! I loved that confident little smile Chika was wearing at the end of the episode.

I also like the point system adding another dimension to the strategizing. Normally if your two opponents were going at it, you'd sit safely back and say, "Let them fight." But if you did that here, you'd lose half of the points available to you, which makes that a bad move.
pikabot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 am Reply with quote
Nicholas is actually underselling the World Trigger curse here! This is actually the third time the anime has had its broadcast delayed due to Current Events, which has to be some kind of record. The first was the episode where Kitora sliced Toma's head off, which was set to air the same week that ISIS released a video in which they decapitated a Japanese journalist. The second was during the Nasu/Suzunari-1 match, when Osamu had Chika deliberately flood an urban area. The same week it was set to air there was some major flooding in Japan.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
World Trigger is the Osamu Mikumo of shounen manga. Everything and everyone wants it to have it destroyed and it lacks the sheer power of other series but through careful planning and intelligent use of resources it has managed to remain one of the most popular anime and manga in Japan right now.

As for the episode itself, Kakizaki squad is pretty underappreciated. Everyone in it is fairly competent and they do use some pretty good tactics. It's just that they are surrounded by monsters everywhere. Heck, when Katori, Nasu and Murakami are B tier you know that A tier is gonna be packing some real heat. For me, they're pretty average. A necessary and useful part of an army but not anyone you'd take notice of.
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then maybe after that we can watch Osamu file his taxes, or follow the exciting adventures of Yuma filling out immigration paperwork!

He jokes, but World Trigger would do that. spoiler[And in fact has in the manga] And we are indeed total marks for it.
skemono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then maybe after that we can watch Osamu file his taxes, or follow the exciting adventures of Yuma filling out immigration paperwork!

Oh hell yes. Itemize those deductions, Osamu!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
It was an exciting meeting! Compare this to the board meeting in the first season with 10-15 second, dialog-free static shots of each board member, and this was downright action-packed! Very Happy

I also got a good laugh out of the looking-at-the-camera joke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Both know that if he's ultimately loyal to his homeworld

What I got was that he's ultimately loyal to his Master, and his condition was that he would not betray that person. This is not quite the same as not betraying his homeworld. So if the Power of Friendship™ is compelling enough, that might allow him some leeway in what he feels his loyalties permit him to do or not do.

I do wonder why they sent him to the test in black when everyone else was going to be clad in white.
Saezurigai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
I love Ikoma squad, those goofballs mix the whole thing up really well. But for all their food talk, one shouldn't forget that they did have some sort of plan (counter sniping etc) so I doubt they'll just fall for Tamakoma-2's strats without a good fight. Also this type of person should be the most difficult to predict for Osamu.

Oji and Osamu on the other hand seem to be very like-minded. But I agree with the reviewer that it's a shame that Oji's teammates are quite devoid of personality this far. Oji clearly overshines them but while he's a tad annoying, I don't dislike him. The nicknames are a great touch Very Happy

[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Quote:

I do wonder why they sent him to the test in black when everyone else was going to be clad in white.

Wasn't this because he comes from Tamakoma branch? Yuma was also in black back then. Osamu and Chika enrolled through regular Border so they were in white.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lets shoot this thing that creates a smoke screen and then lets wait and see what happens! Great idea! What could go wrong? --Trash Osamu

Quote:
Oh, the guy just got my neck, lets just keep looking at him without doing anythig! What could go wrong!?² --Trash Osamu²

¬¬ This "MC" really pissed me off some times...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason why Osamu is the only one who can set wires? He was taught how to do it, and it didn't seem to take him a long time, so why can't Kuga learn too as a back up for situations like this?
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is there a reason why Osamu is the only one who can set wires? He was taught how to do it, and it didn't seem to take him a long time, so why can't Kuga learn too as a back up for situations like this?

If I recall correctly, they're only allowed up to a certain amount of trion gear into these matches. Kuga already does well with his kit. There's no need to disturb that when his specialty lies in offensive maneuvers. It's one of the reasons why Kuga doesn't use his Black Trigger, other than his Black Trigger potentially becoming a point of contention. I can't remember if it was forbidden or not.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

A Trigger has a limit on how many slots they can use, Yuma and Chika don't have that much space left for Spider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3