• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Hawks seems like a total asshole, like an awful, amoral person inside who's probably even worse than Endeavor.

its even worse! that SOB spoiler[ is basically a secret gov't assasin ala one piece's CP9 who have the authority to actually kill villains!!!! which is what he did to twice just recently ] in the most recent arc of the manga!

im gonna feel really bad for tokoyami when he finds out the truth which have me concerned too.

spoiler[Don't heroes already have that authority in some capacity? That Nomu was definitely killed by Endeavor, regardless of how you may consider them "human", and actual authority figures like police do have the right to kill in some cases. It sucks for the readers who like Twice, but it's going to be different for people in the MHA world then just is this character likeable, especially since in that situation he was considered possibly too OP to just let live during such an important operation.][/spoiler]
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:12 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

It is restrictive, because they are counting their eggs before they hatch. How do you know that it will be handled poorly? You see a character trying to redeem themselves, why do you have to complain before you see how that goes? Isn't someone trying to atone supposed to be a good thing?

In any given instance that a subject falls off of the sphere of political correctness, there comes an uproar of complaints. And more complaints usually mean that the writers buckle down and are forced to just "play safe" with the themes they are presenting. They are forced to steer away from the difficult (and infinitely more interesting) stuff. And this is where restrictions appear and this is why we can't have nice things. I would much prefer to see how Endeavor's family will choose to deal with him rather than watch the technicalities of how Deku will achieve the Plush Ultra Colorado California Cicago New York Smash... Florida. To off the bad guys. But maybe that's just me.

Funny thing though, murder has been far more acceptable as a theme than any other "difficult" topic. Maybe it's because luckily only a few have to deal with murder in their daily lives, but quite a lot of people might be facing troubles of abuse.

You seem a little confused. I know what happens next because I am a manga reader. I also know what happens in the anime because I have seen the season finale and I can tell how their choices to adapt the manga's story affects it. I don't need to speculate and I am not making any predictions about how this redemption arc "might" turn out in the future. I am making an observation based on what I know happens in the manga and how it has been adapted into the anime. And it's going to be REALLY hard for the writers to "steer away" from something when it has already been written into the story by the original author.

You are complaining about something that doesn't exist. No one is mad at the author for trying his hand at a redemption-arc for a domestic abuser (well, almost no one) and for the most part, people are really happy with how he has handled it. It has been done with much more nuance and care than almost any other similar story. My issue, and the issue that most people seem to have, with the anime (not the overall story) is how the adaption-process has introduced a very subtle but important change to how the story was originally told. By putting Endeavour's big climactic battle and change of heart at the end of the season it gives that half of the arc a lot more focus when in the manga the follow-up was just as important. I do want to see how his family chooses to deal with him. I am annoyed precisely because this season didn't show that and by pushing it to the beginning of next season it treats their reactions as an afterthought. This isn't a big change, in fact it will be pretty much unnoticeable for people who binge season 4 and 5 back-to-back. But it is a change and it is worth discussing what impressions it gives people who only follow the anime week-to-week. That isn't "restricting" anyone. It is giving feedback on how something was handled. Just going "I will wait and see how this turns out later" until the story is over is not effective or constructive criticism. It is complacency.

Next time, please read what someone actually says before you make it all about how "political correctness" ruins everything or how much you don't like Shounen-manga training-arcs, because neither of those things was ever discussed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Hawks seems like a total asshole, like an awful, amoral person inside who's probably even worse than Endeavor.

its even worse! that SOB spoiler[ is basically a secret gov't assasin ala one piece's CP9 who have the authority to actually kill villains!!!! which is what he did to twice just recently ] in the most recent arc of the manga!

im gonna feel really bad for tokoyami when he finds out the truth which have me concerned too.

spoiler[Don't heroes already have that authority in some capacity? That Nomu was definitely killed by Endeavor, regardless of how you may consider them "human", and actual authority figures like police do have the right to kill in some cases. It sucks for the readers who like Twice, but it's going to be different for people in the MHA world then just is this character likeable, especially since in that situation he was considered possibly too OP to just let live during such an important operation.][/spoiler]

its more than that. its basically a massive contradiction and hypocrisy on what the current heroes are trying to teach the students. especially for people like ida who REALLY wanted to kill stain in the hero killer arc!

if he diacovers that this happened, i wont blame him at all for calling the hero society a walking contradiction!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

its more than that. its basically a massive contradiction and hypocrisy on what the current heroes are trying to teach the students. especially for people like ida who REALLY wanted to kill stain in the hero killer arc!

if he diacovers that this happened, i wont blame him at all for calling the hero society a walking contradiction!

Pretty sure the problem with Ida was more about doing things on his own just for his personal vengeance.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait...that Deku headline is actually REAL and not some kind of fake screenshot?
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Wait...that Deku headline is actually REAL and not some kind of fake screenshot?

Yup
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
I liked the episode, it was obviously a low budget and only a re-introduction introduction of the kids powers, it doesn't try to be anything else.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote
The first episode of a season should start off with a bang, not a whimper like that... let alone an episode where the narrator hits the pause button every 20 seconds to talk.

If the narrator was my room-mate, I would of given him a dead arm punch and stole the remote from him and told him to shut up I am trying to watch.

Seriously, this is the 5th season we already know these characters and if we didn't why the hell is anyone starting to watch it for the first time in season 5... they really need to cut back on the flashbacks, expostitions and narration.
James S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
The first episode of a season should start off with a bang, not a whimper like that... let alone an episode where the narrator hits the pause button every 20 seconds to talk.

If the narrator was my room-mate, I would of given him a dead arm punch and stole the remote from him and told him to shut up I am trying to watch.

Seriously, this is the 5th season we already know these characters and if we didn't why the hell is anyone starting to watch it for the first time in season 5... they really need to cut back on the flashbacks, expostitions and narration.

It's for the people that only watch anime, refuse to read the manga, and don't actively search out info on the show unless it's currently airing. It's a sizable chunk of the viewer base.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:

do you know what time slot MHA has in Japan?
TheBohrokMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I've heard a lot of good things about this show.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
...Hey Nick, hate to break it to you but Hot Wings is the shipping name for Dabi and Hawks. It's a perfectly acceptable mistake to make, considering Hawks is hot and he has wings Laughing
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
...Hey Nick, hate to break it to you but Hot Wings is the shipping name for Dabi and Hawks. It's a perfectly acceptable mistake to make, considering Hawks is hot and he has wings Laughing

Yeah, I was curious on how he got that info but hey, calling Hawks Hot Wings is still pretty valid.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:

Quote:
Turns out this duo, who manga fans have taken to calling Hot Wings

I said what I said
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

Quote:
Turns out this duo, who manga fans have taken to calling Hot Wings

I said what I said

Huh, I must be sleep deprived. My apologies then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 72 of 81