• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
from this ep alone, its more or less confirms that eren is attempting to do a lelouch from code geass! anyone who have seen that series could easily recognise the similarities!

That's what I'm thinking as well (I haven't read the rest of the manga, by the way), so I strongly suspect that when Armin cried, it was because he was the only one to realize Eren's actual intentions, which probably have nothing to do with going along with Zeke's "euthanization" plan.

One can clearly see he's only trying to endear himself to Yelena. The way he was crying and Yelena's reaction was actually comical. The peeps in the jail were even like "what?"

Edit: And as soon as i open twitter i see this... lmao https://twitter.com/hunnymzdraws/status/1376197880411607048 (don't check the comments for spoilers, obviously)

Edit2: With how weary people are of spoilers, it's probably best to have a description alongside the above tweet. spoiler[It's fanart of Armin receiving an Oscar with Yelena crying to the side.] Spoiler tagged just in case?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
That's what I'm thinking as well (I haven't read the rest of the manga, by the way), so I strongly suspect that when Armin cried, it was because he was the only one to realize Eren's actual intentions, which probably have nothing to do with going along with Zeke's "euthanization" plan.

Oh, I didn't get that Armin might be in on Eren's plan, but he definitely was trying to fool Yelena.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was especially ambivalent about Armin getting straight-up weepy over how touching Yelena's explanations are, which came across as out-of-character for the guy who's supposed to be the smartest person in the room at any given moment.

Yuvelir wrote:

Oh, I didn't get that Armin might be in on Eren's plan, but he definitely was trying to fool Yelena.

Pretty much this. Even when I originally read the manga version, I knew Armin is definitely smart enough to gauge how nutters Yelena is, read the room/his friend's reaction to the euthanasia plan, and be like "Okay, if I BS sympathy here it may help out in the foreseeable future" all within a minute or two. I feel it came across better here, where we just saw him fight Eren last week, instead of a month or two ago.

I kinda figured this is the point where the season was going to leave us, but it's still disappointing. Rather than leave us with a decent cliffhanger like past seasons, this feels like it's dropping off mid-sentence(which probably feels 100x worse for Anime-only folks). This half of the story really doesn't have a lot of good stopping points, though, so it could be worse.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
After watching the episode, chapter 123 was definitely a better moment to end the season and it wasn't so far, 3 episodes would have been enough.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
My favourite portion of the material covered by this episode is the scene between Eren, Pieck and Gabi.

I particularly love how it fleshes out Pieck and plays into the strengths of her character: her intelligence and her as a super cool big sister figure.

She knows Marley's system is terrible, but keeps going along with it to protect the people she loves. The underlying meaning to her speech to Gabi is that terrible systems like this can't really be pleased no matter how hard you try.

Gabi having this perspective thrown at her while already starting to question her beliefs is really important for her arc, too.

While Eren also isn't completely dumb and pushes Pieck into a corner in a smart way.

I really like how AoT does this kind of mindplay. All of the parties involved are in character and the strategies make sense considering the setpieces around them.

This is basically Pieck pulling the same strategy as Armin pulled on Annie in season 1. Appealing to the enemy and then trapping them.

Speaking of Armin, he is clearly going along with Yelena to get them all out of there. He did manipulation like this before with Bert and Annie.

As a whole, I think this season was an excellent adaption of the material it covered, sometimes even very much elevating it from the source. It didn't have as much great animation to go around, but the direction and storyboarding was absolutely great throughout most of it. I felt season 2 and 3 sort of slowly lost flavour in terms of direction, but this is now either #2 or tied with season 1 for my favourite season in terms of adaption and how it handles the respective material.

I actually really want to give a shoutout to this thread because this has been one of the few places where I've seen people engage with the story in a substantial way. A lot of the discussions around it devolve into inane insult matches when I think there's so much to talk about in it, from the potentially iffy parts of it to the strengths of it.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Oof this is going to be a long wait, isn't it? I've been good about staying away from manga plot points up until now, but given that the manga will be ending pretty soon, I feel like hearing something will be essentially unavoidable.
Quote:
I was especially ambivalent about Armin getting straight-up weepy over how touching Yelena's explanations are, which came across as out-of-character for the guy who's supposed to be the smartest person in the room at any given moment.

I have to assume based on everything we know about Armin that he can't possibly be that moved by Zeke & Yelena's plan. We've seen him put on a show before (when trying to rile up Bertholdt about Annie in S2), and given his reputation for being the "smartest person in the room," he probably knows that his agreement might put Yelena more at ease. That or he was hastily covering up actually laughing once he realized he knows Eren well enough to figure there's no way Eren is actually on-board with this plan and is using them.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
My brother threw the towel and he and his best (girl)friend began reading the manga.

Luckily is on Crunchyroll.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
WINTER 2022 OH WHAT THE Evil or Very Mad
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Oof this is going to be a long wait, isn't it? I've been good about staying away from manga plot points up until now, but given that the manga will be ending pretty soon, I feel like hearing something will be essentially unavoidable.
Quote:

I have to assume based on everything we know about Armin that he can't possibly be that moved by Zeke & Yelena's plan. We've seen him put on a show before (when trying to rile up Bertholdt about Annie in S2), and given his reputation for being the "smartest person in the room," he probably knows that his agreement might put Yelena more at ease. That or he was hastily covering up actually laughing once he realized he knows Eren well enough to figure there's no way Eren is actually on-board with this plan and is using them.

Thats what I thought too! Armin was trying to get on Yelena's good side so that fanatic would be moved by his tears and maybe release them or at least him from jail cell.
Not sure about laughing though. Since Yelena didn't bring any Yeagerists with her, Armin thought to play on her fanaticism.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
at least jean is smart enough to know that his fav suicidal maniac is not showing his true nature!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Anime-only viewer here. Just finished this season on Toonami. Gotta say, this might be the best season. Season 1, especially Part 2 of Season 1, was excellent. Season 2 was kinda lackluster. Season 3 was uneven but really had a strong Part 2. After Season 3, I thought Attack on Titan had written itself into a corner or jumped the shark with the twist, but it really made its new direction work and actually make everything that came before more meaningful. Before, I felt that Attack on Titan was sort of a mystery-horror shock-theater sort of thing, but this season has elevated the whole thing for me. This season had the political-thriller shades of Gundam to it. Thoroughly enjoyed it and changed my feelings about the franchise.

And yeah, I could totally tell that Armin was faking it to try to turn the tables. He was faking it terribly, too, but Yelena is so far out there that she couldn't even notice.

What blows my mind the most is how Reiner has sort of become the hero of the story now. Still waiting to see what happens with Annie.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
OK lets reactivate this thread.

Part 1 of the conclusion has just finished airing.

Final Part - Autum 2023

OK now for the controversial part...

spoiler[
First part is 59 minutes ish? long
And it covers...

Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134

According to the summary the last scene is literally the last bit of content of chapter 134...

We still have 5 chapters to go folks...

]

Let the bitching commence!
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:

Final Part - Autum 2023

spoiler[
And it covers...

Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134

According to the summary the last scene is literally the last bit of content of chapter 134...

]

So it may be a few episodes vs a long hour episode it sounds like …. Or a part 3 cour 3 or something crazy.

Still no idea when Crunchy will air it…
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
gumbaloom wrote:

Final Part - Autum 2023

spoiler[
And it covers...

Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134

]

So it may be a few episodes vs a long hour episode it sounds like …. Or a part 3 cour 3 or something crazy.

Still no idea when Crunchy will air it…

Was posting in the wrong place
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3184407
Heres the correct topic for this - didn't realise thee was a thread per part
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23