• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
also i dont buy that lady being asta's mom! probably henry since their magic more or less prevents them from being with other! so far its heavily implemented, BUT NOT CONFIRMED!

not to mention that i have a hard time buying the notion of yuno ACTUALLY being a spade kingdom prince. if its true, the odds of him being the next future wizard king are slim to none! especially if house kira finds out! there is zero chance the magic parliment and that scale faced bastard damnaito would permit an exiled foreign prince to be one.

so while its considered fact for now, it should be held with the BIGGEST GRAIN OF SALT when it comes to asta and yuno"s origins!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
also i dont buy that lady being asta's mom! probably henry since their magic more or less prevents them from being with other! so far its heavily implemented, BUT NOT CONFIRMED!

not to mention that i have a hard time buying the notion of yuno ACTUALLY being a spade kingdom prince. if its true, the odds of him being the next future wizard king are slim to none! especially if house kira finds out! there is zero chance the magic parliment and that scale faced bastard damnaito would permit an exiled foreign prince to be one.

so while its considered fact for now, it should be held with the BIGGEST GRAIN OF SALT when it comes to asta and yuno"s origins!
... I really doubt that Tabata-sensei would've shown all of these things related to Asta and Yuno's origins and then do a total 180 and go "Nope, this isn't true at all; it's all been a lie!". There's nothing I can see from the chapters now that would even give such thought that this is a misdirection. As to the second point... I don't see why Yuno's origins would prevent him from becoming the next Wizard King. He doesn't really consider himself at all a member of the Spade Kingdom, and has pledged his loyalty to the Magic Knights, the Golden Dawn, and the Clover Kingdom. Sure, Damnatio may fight against it, but I think even he would back down if it enough pressure was placed on him. I think if anyone is going to have issues with House Kira, it'll be Asta. Now... if you have some data that could justify such a misdirection being possible based off of the current canon, I'd love to hear it, but I really can't see it. I feel that what Tabata-sensei has revealed already IS the 100% canon.

Honestly, my end game prediction will be both Asta and Yuno becoming Wizard Kings through whatever means that happen. It would just end up being the most fitting ending, in my mind, because of how much they both are fighting for such a role and I don't think either of them will have the ability to top one another when the time comes.

As for the anime as of right now... It's been a heck of a ride, and I loved every moment of it. <3 I do hope it'll get another season down the line once there's more to animate, and they won't try to push the rest of this arc (if it's at all possible to do so) into a movie. I actually really hope the movie may take place before this arc, such as a mission during the six-month training arc. Or if they wanted to animate the Quartet Knights game/manga into a movie, that might be kinda cool too. Although I think that's very, very, very unlikely.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
I’ve been reading the manga casually, and I was curious how much the anime covered so I read the reviews of the last few episodes and I am glad I did because I somehow missed the whole “Noelle & co were saved by a secret village of Elves (half Elves?)” thing (very possibly just missed a few chapters. I don’t currently have a Shonen Jump subscription so I try to keep up with the latest 3 chapters and tend to skip a few here and there.)

That’s a neat development

Black Clover is a very simple Shonen Jump series That’s not really a knock against it; it iis often charming and sweet and funny. But the morality and character writing couldn’t be more black and white, and no where is that clearer than Asta having to see through the defensive posturing of an actually nice demon named Liebe—which means “Love” in German. Who’s also his own adopted brother, just in case the audience wasn’t clear enough that some demons are good and Asta is destined to get along well with his and develop an equal, mutual bond.

jr240483 wrote:

Liebe straight up says of Asta “he’s really Licita’s child.” I suppose he could mean that *spiritually*, but the woman looked exactly like Asta and was seen leaving a baby at a church. My only issue with it is if she was avoiding people because her magic was dangerous, then...was Asta immaculately conceived? (Considering how nice he is, I’d buy it! Laughing) Or, more disturbing...did she accidentally kill Asta’s dad, and that’s when she became a hermit? Or, well...there are even more disturbing scenarios but let’s hope the story doesn’t go there....
I’m not sure if I want this question answered, but I can’t help but be curious...

In any case, it’s nice that we learn about Asta’s super nice mom and his connection to Liebe. I hope *Asta* finds out about his mom someday! C’mon Liebe, tell your brother about his mother!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
My only issue with it is if she was avoiding people because her magic was dangerous, then...was Asta immaculately conceived? (Considering how nice he is, I’d buy it! Laughing) Or, more disturbing...did she accidentally kill Asta’s dad, and that’s when she became a hermit? Or, well...there are even more disturbing scenarios but let’s hope the story doesn’t go there....
I’m not sure if I want this question answered, but I can’t help but be curious...

I had these thoughts as well. I'd taken even farther to question how Asta survived being born. And is the reason why Asta has no magic because his mother drained it all away in the womb? Unless there are reveals coming down the road on this, I have to suspect that the manga-ka didn't think that part through too well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
^I wouldn’t rule out further revelations. The Naruto manga, IIRC, took a few years between revealing to Naruto that his father was the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze, (which was hinted to readers from the get-go) to letting him & the readers know about the more interesting (in my opinion) backstory of his mother, Kushina Uzumaki, the previous Nine-Tailed Jinchuriki, which really tied all the loose ends of Naruto’s family background in a neat bow.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
While I've been reading the manga since the beginning, I only recently caught up with the anime and I'm glad I did. While the flashback felt rushed compared to the manga from what I remember, the fight was great to see. After the manga's gotten further along, I'm looking forward to seeing this return Smile

lol, for some reason after watching this episode I also started wondering about Asta's father. That guy must have an amazingly strong constitution Laughing

Asta not having any mana because of his mother's affect on him makes the most sense.
I think in the manga he wasn't immediately affected by the life draining affects that his mother has (which is how he survived being around her long enough to leave him at the church), but out of concern she gave him up anyway. Though I may be misremembering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 25 of 25