• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kunihiko Ikuhara's Penguindrum TV Anime Gets Compilation Film Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
Wonderful bit of news. I’m a big fan of the series and have always wondered why it wasn’t more popular. Maybe it came out at the wrong time. Look forward to a fresh look at the story and some surprises along the way. But boy do I hope they can use some of the original songs of the series.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:39 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
have always wondered why it wasn’t more popular.

it's an incredibly surreal, incredibly dark piece of work heavy-handed on symbolism with a relatively terrible legal streaming status.

So...like pretty much all of Ikuhara does, it's not a surprise it wouldn't be popular.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
I’m a big fan of the series and have always wondered why it wasn’t more popular.

Probably because it was based on an event that many people outside of japan know nothing about and the anime doesnt exactly hold your hand while it explains whats going on.

Oh yeah, im down to watch a compilation film. Its been a while and itll be cool to get a refresher on the series.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
I really really like Penguindrum, but I have no interest in compilation movies.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Yeah, I've never understood anime's infatuation with compilation movies. "Let's chop up a whole series and remove a bunch of connecting shots, but we added a minute of 'new' footage so it's totally worth it!" Then again it's Ikuhara, so maybe he'll do something crazy with it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how the story comes off within the framework of a compilation movie.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Since it's Ikuhara, and the title is both A) very similar to Rebuild of Evangelion and B) Called Re:cycle (as in, both a joke on compilation movies being 'recycling', but also suggesting that the story is cycling through itself again), I feel like there's good reason to suspect that this is more than just a compilation movie.

That's my hope, anyway.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I love Penguindrum, but aside from the original Gundam movie trilogy, has a compilation movie ever been good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if it was done as a three part film series it could work but I don't see how they're going to cram a 24 episode series into a single movie.

Quote:
it's an incredibly surreal, incredibly dark piece of work heavy-handed on symbolism with a relatively terrible legal streaming status.
It's all streaming on VRV/HiDive and it's on Blu Ray and even the novels are licensed. I think it's more the quality of the dub why it's not as popular but then it seems like most of Ikuhara's works post Utena in general have failed to catch on as much Utena did.

Quote:
I love Penguindrum, but aside from the original Gundam movie trilogy, has a compilation movie ever been good?
I thought the Madoka movies did an all right job. Has anyone seen the G Recon movies? I wonder how those turned out.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I thought the Madoka movies did an all right job. Has anyone seen the G Recon movies? I wonder how those turned out.

The G Reco movies have been better so far, but that's mainly because even Tomino admits that the TV series ended up just being a very rough draft/pitch for a movie series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Same it’s my favorite Ikuhara anime but I also have no interest in this

I mean I guess I’ll be interested in new merchandise
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Cool I may watch it if it proves to be worthwhile.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Only if you make the artwork even more surreal and have a teenage girl transform into a car!

...wait...
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
That's a straight up sequel, not a compilation
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping he throws us through a loop and we end up getting something more similar to Adolescence of Utena than a normal compilation movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2