• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kinpun wrote:

For the normal ongoing reviews, I get the appeal of having a house style, but for preview guide, it sure would be great to have a little bit broader range of opinions. It would be great to have someone who's into the more degenerate parts of otaku culture, or people who are way into the sakuga community, or someone into idol shows, or reading light/visual novel source material, or whatever else. For previewing the new season, having a broad range would really help decide what shows to watch.

We've added Richard Eisenbeis to the Preview Guide team to fill out the "populist" spot. I don't know that we'll ever have a reviewer that would describe themselves as "degenerate" for a multitude of reasons but of the team we have now, most are appreciate of some level of fanservice. Others are also able to find the humor it. Everyone is going to have individual lines for when that content crosses into "this makes me uncomfortable" or "I find this in poor taste." I don't think we have any reviewers on staff who are simply "boobs bounce, -50 anime quality points."

I also think we have reviewers on staff who are able to discern excellent animation cuts and name drop JP staff members, as far as the sakuga community goes. I've also just recently added a Daily Streaming reviewer on to the team that enjoys idol shows! That was a blind spot in our coverage that I'm happy to have filled. As for light novels, we've got Kim Morrissey for that, too.

I'd rather do one long post here then do a lot of back and forth, so I hope I can explain this well from supervisor standpoint.

Operating a workroom with a myriad of people from different backgrounds and opinions is my ultimate goal. With that in mind, it is also my responsibility to ensure we have a workplace that meets certain standards for the staff here. For that reason, finding the appropriate person for niche controversial titles with sexual content (note: not your average fanservice title) can be very difficult. I understand that people want to see a certain level of enthusiasm for their pet shows, but it also needs to be understood that doing that isn't as simple as it looks, especially for shows that contain sexual violence in a titillating manner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kinpun wrote:

This definitely concerns me as well. I've been reading this guide since it first started, and while I do enjoy reading every season the biggest problem has always been that the ANN review staff has like an 80% overlap in their tastes and the type of stuff they're into.

The ANN "house-style" definitely feels like it wants to be into anime, but at the same time keep a lot of the more otaku-y parts of the subculture at arm's length (or occasionally even coming across as a little judgemental towards). Theron was an exception to that rule.

For the normal ongoing reviews, I get the appeal of having a house style, but for preview guide, it sure would be great to have a little bit broader range of opinions. It would be great to have someone who's into the more degenerate parts of otaku culture, or people who are way into the sakuga community, or someone into idol shows, or reading light/visual novel source material, or whatever else. For previewing the new season, having a broad range would really help decide what shows to watch.

Really curious where this idea that Theron was a lone dissenting voice comes from. It’s thrown around a lot, but nearly every single preview guide has a wide variety of different takes, and the differences between episode and full series reviews often differ too. The idea that ANN is a monolithic hivemind has always been a made up problem, and I don’t think this changes that. All it takes is actually reading the words of the other writers as their own instead of lumping them together as Not-Theron.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
This is a bit of an admin question, but isn't Theron Martin doing reviews anymore? I still see him as a forum mod, but did not see him in the best/worst and most expected and now in the spring preview?

If you (or anyone else, for that matter) would like a bit more detail about what's going on, check out my recent post about it in the Community forum (or on the website in my Profile, if you don't have access to that forum because you're not a subscriber). Please direct reaction posts there as much as feasible so that we can keep this thread on track.

Since this is the first Preview Guide ANN has done without my involvement, I plan to minimize how much I comment about new series this time around so that I don't distract from the site's official reviewers. (I will say, though, that the quality of Those Snow White Notes is the most pleasant surprise so far.)

Last edited by Key on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Man I'm missing a lot lately, I really thought the big controversial show last season was going to be Redo of a Healer but ended up being Mushoku Tensei, I was sure this season was going to be Nagatoro but Koikimo came out of nowhere with that premise
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Man I'm missing a lot lately, I really thought the big controversial show last season was going to be Redo of a Healer but ended up being Mushoku Tensei, I was sure this season was going to be Nagatoro but Koikimo came out of nowhere with that premise

Redo didn't end up being the trouble magnet that it could have been around here for three reasons:
    1. It didn't qualify for episode reviews.
    2. People who would have complained saw the premise, said "nope!", and avoided it.
    3. There isn't, honestly, much that could be defended about it. (Although I did see one site unsarcastically referring to it as the season's best show.)

Mushoku Tensei ended up being a massive trouble spot instead because, even though those familiar with the WN and/or LN has made some warnings, it wasn't obvious from the premise itself that it would be that edgy. The superior technical merits also got people to watch it despite its edginess.

Often what will and won't be a trouble-spot title isn't very predictable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice change up getting the season's controversial show out of the way right out of the gate. I half expect Koikimo to pull a twist where the guy kills the teenage girl in the second episode and it's revealed he's a serial killer.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Just a few thoughts so far

(first off, the preview guide has been great and I'm glad there is more of a push to shut down anyone being like "well, as a white guy who likes a lot of anime, Japan is different so you can't criticize it" commenters")

Koikimo: So, this show only seems 50% aware of how creepy this premise is. If he was like maybe one or two years older sure, but a guy who is essentially 30 or so hitting on and falling for a teenager is creepy. It's aware enough to keep calling him out on his scumball behaviors, but it also puts the male lead's sister into gaslighting the female lead, and that's just not okay. It's also not animated well with a lot of digital tricks. The opening and ending songs are okay, but this is a rough start...

Mars Red: For a vampire drama, this was pretty stellar! It has a great art style and I'm curious to see where this vampire drama goes! It's a great first episode!

Joran: Princess of Snow and Blood: Considered me hooked! I adored what looks like a promising supernatural anime. I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Those Snow White Notes: A little melodramatic for the first episode, but the animation is nice and the Shamisen playing is really good. It's basically the reason you come for it, but the show seems to be setting up a very "finding my place in the world" storyline while dealing with his relationship with his grandfather and the lead's passion for the Shamisen.

Burning Kabaddi: I always dig an anime that has a unique premise like this one. A sports anime that is all bout full contact tag? That sounds awesome! Too bad the animation is crap. I have to agree with the reviewers that it does seem like the director and TMS gave this one the shirt straw in terms of time and resources put into it. I'm always sad about these cases, because I adore a sports anime with a fun hook like a different sport and such.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
As a moderator I feel it's time to say let's move on from the debate about the qualifications of reviewers. It has been addressed by admin and this is not really the place for that specific discussion. If anyone has further questions they can use the Feedback section to create a thread, or PM an admin like octopodpie or Tempest. Let's leave this thread for actually discussing the shows, previews, etc. please. Thank you.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
MHA S5: It has returned! Can't wait for the season to properly start Smile

Kiyo in Kyoto: I randomly caught about 15 minutes of this (the second episode I think) while flipping through channels on NHK World. It seemed interesting. Not something I'd go out of my way to see, but interesting none the less.

Koikimo: I didn't plan on watching this based on the summary and I'm glad I stuck by that. Based on these reviews it was even worse than it seemed

Burning Kabaddi: I haven't watched this, but I too only know of the sport from Chio's School Road

Those Snow White Notes: I didn't know about this, but after briefly skimming the preview guide I got a reminder of Kono Oto and quickly checked it out. The music was great! I hope we get to hear a lot more throughout the season. While watching I actually got vibes of Showa Rakugo, which certainly is not a bad thing. I wasn't expecting that ending though, so not sure what kind of show it will feel like next, but I'll be sure to check it out.

SSSS.Dynazenon: Looks like this is going to be another great SSSS show =)
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, I do have a few misgivings about this new season. For one – and this may be me showing my ignorance as a dude – I don't really “get” the Makeup vs Lack of Motivation theme so far. The bad guys are trying to steal people's “motivation energy” and the way to combat that is for the girls to put on lipstick and eye-shadow to gird their determination?

No real deeper meaning here. Girls wear make up to feel confident/pretty. So when the characters are feeling scared/insecure, they powder up to be more confident and courageous. Precure is, if nothing else, very traditional about gender themes and marketing to little girls.

Tropical Rouge is definitely one of my favorite entries so far.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:04 am Reply with quote
Slim pickings this season. So far only three I know I'll watch. Koikimo as I've been reading the manga, the source is one of the few josei I follow. The upcoming Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I'm up to date with the novels. And although it won't come up in this guide, the upcoming Shinkalion Z as I watched the first season.

There might be more once I have a chance to check the first episodes. Like the upcoming Dragon Goes House-Hunting, but the production values on that seem to disagree heavily. The upcoming Blue Reflection perhaps as I've played the game. Upcoming Super Cub, been reading the manga on and off. Perhaps upcoming How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Ω, but I prefer the novels on that. Fluorite I have to check out of curiosity, but I doubt I'll watch it all.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
Lol " Streaming on Other Platforms" guys, you can just say Funimation. Amazon and Sentai aren't licensing anything and Preview Guide doesn't cover Netflix except in outstanding circumstances when its available outside Japan (like Violet Evergarden). I know is probably a sponsorship thing, but it just made me laugh. Plus on a selfish note, it means my favorite so far, SSSS.Dynazenon, has to be pushed to the bottom behind stuff like KoiKimo and Cardfight Vanguard (although the latter had a weirdly impressive first episode animation-wise, I was a bit floored tbh) Sad

Also, looks like most of the special previews (Moriarty S2, Mars Red, and KoiKimo) are covered outside their premiere writeup but not Fruits Basket's final season? I guess Lauren really is the only contributor who's actually watched it, so she wins "best critic" in my heart.

Anyways, I kind agree with James on Joran reading his review. I'm sold on the atmosphere, but it is potentially throwing a lot out there. Especially compared to some other noteworthy premieres of other revenge-style anime series that had a much more simple jumping off point.

Didn't end up finishing KoiKimo. I've seen age-gap shoujo/josei series (or even just age-gap relationships within those series) that can sell it for one reason or another, but this just felt creepy and looked ugly. If you're going to give me some problematic romantic trash, at least make the guy look attractive.

Also, Lynzee saying she's excited for Mushroom Girl in MHA made me smile. How can you not be excited for possible mushroom-related quirks? haha
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:39 am Reply with quote
Koikimo: I read the manga sometime last year when I was on an age gap romance binge. It was definitely the worst of the bunch which was why I was surprised it got picked to be animated over something like Takane and Hana (though if it's just most controversial I've read and enjoyed way skeevier). I don't plan to keep up with this consequently.

SSSS Dynazenon: Gauma is more stupid than I anticipated. I love him with all my heart. Episode one was way more off balance with all the main cast's problems being hinted at right off the bat unlike the first anime. Definitely keeping up

Tropical Rouge precure: so far the only season I've been able to make myself finish is go princess. Healin good lost me post haitus, and star twinkle lost me even earlier, but I generally do enjoy the brief tastes of traditional magical girl plots these series have me. The makeup+tropical+motivation theme lacks cohesion, and I find both the villains boring so far as well as their stock footage unbearably bland compared to the past few seasons but otherwise I do enjoy the energy and I do enjoy Laura especially since she's different from the average fairy. Will see if I can make it to episode 12
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

If you (or anyone else, for that matter) would like a bit more detail about what's going on, check out my recent post about it in the Community forum (or on the website in my Profile, if you don't have access to that forum because you're not a subscriber). Please direct reaction posts there as much as feasible so that we can keep this thread on track.

Well I would, but Im not a subscriber and attempts to become one failed. Your sites main message seems to imply things, but not explain outright.
Your call of course, but I for one will be sad to see ANN without you.

Korimoko or whatever was awful and gross. I gave it like, half an episode? Sometime around the toothpick thing I was just done. If it has an appeal I dont see it.

Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood was pretty great, and I hope Rebecca Silverman gets it for the reviews, because it feels like her knowledgeable of history and context in literature and Japan will come in handy for the setting.

Mars Red wasnt bad, but didn't wow me. Ill give it a few episodes and see where it goes, but Im a bit on the fence so far.

Those Snow White Notes I was going to skip, but the good reviews all round mean I might give it a shot.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'm still bummed about the lack of streaming for Edens Zero. While I think the Mashima brand recognition will give it a bigger boost that most Netflix anime lack (its trailer already outnumber most of the other videos uploaded on their YouTube anime channel months before it), I really wanted to see if and how people's reactions would grow out of "This is just Fairy Tail all over again. Obviously I'm (not) gonna watch it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25