• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-15]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, someone sticking up for the Shaman King dub? I never thought I'd see the day!

Actually, I didn't hate that dub too much. It's really not bad compared to a lot of other junk 4Kids has turned out; the lead cast was charming (aside from Ryu - I'm afraid I took the hate approach to his voice pretty much from the start) and very close to the Japanese cast in spirit, plus they had a great sense of fun and friendship between them, which is really what the whole series is about. I'll always prefer the sub - I love Satou Yuuko's Yoh far too much, and Inuyama Inuko just cracks me up, not to mention the humor is a bit snappier - but the dub easily stands head and shoulders above most of the other 4Kids dreck. Except for the Zeke thing. The Zeke thing needs to go crawl into a hole and die.

But yeah, if FUNi or someone brought that cast back to do an uncut dub with no fake accents and the original insert songs, OPs, and EDs, I'd definitely give it a run through, for nostalgia's sake. After all, even now when I read the manga, it's the dub voices I hear in my head because that's the version I saw first.

And you know, I hope that, wherever he is, the Naruto kid is doing all right. I almost miss him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Once again, the otakukin scare the crap out of me and make me lmao at the same time.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Answer: Yes, because I need the cash.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
no love for the Twelve Kingdoms dub?

oh well I guess the only good Shojo I've ever seen will remain unappreciated

I'm really curious about what people think I wish Zac had put up a count of best and worst dubs.

I have to say that Naruto fan reminded me of someone I [used to] know...

and the fake hey answerfans was priceless
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
I think the first answer fan question would gather more unique and fun to read letters. That's just me though.(Or maybe letters you'd never want to repeat to the public...)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
Once again, the otakukin scare the crap out of me and make me lmao at the same time.

Me too. Notice how they're always prominent characters, and never Random Bystander Character #90339 from Dragon Ball who happened to see Goku fly by on his cloud on the way back from a dentist appointment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Notice how they're always prominent characters, and never Random Bystander Character #90339 from Dragon Ball who happened to see Goku fly by on his cloud on the way back from a dentist appointment.

Actually, I've heard of otakukin who say that they just identify very strongly with a certain anime and that they might have lived there at some point and not been the main character.

....Not that that isn't nuts too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
The first question gave me the compulsive urge to implore people who think that fansubs are somehow more accurate to wake up and smell the coffee. Anyone who knows a little something about the Japanese language could tell you that most fan translations are beset with inaccuracies and mistranslations, not to mention the fact that a great many of them are littered with spelling and grammar mistakes in the English language! If you don't know Japanese, please don't think yourself fit to judge the quality of a translation; you might very well be making a fool of yourself.

And finally...

Hey, Answerfans! wrote:

LOL. Laughing
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I think quite a few people still care about Sailor Moon...at least based on the very large fan-based communities that are still out there and how high it rated in the Toei poll on which series fans would be interested in downloading. I don't think it's accurate by any means to declare the fandom for that show dead (by saying that no one cares anymore).

Oh well, what do I know...I could be the one Sailor Moon fan writing all these letters to Answerman while I am asleep or something.

Edit: Another gal I was talking to also offered up the major love for Sailor Moon cosplayers give at conventions and that is it one of the biggest communities on fanfiction.net. I didn't know that since I don't go to conventions, cosplay, or read fanfiction...but it is interesting to note!

Last edited by Celes on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
are all those email about chi and ninja techniques real???!?!!?

what on earth are they smoking?

"I can do ninja magic and stop making fun of me!!!"

yeeesh.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
In relation to the Answerfan question, I have heard that the fansubber who did Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad was asked to help out on the dub. And yes, either produce your own legitimate subs, or work with those fansubbers willing to co-operate. Some fansubbers will not, but the smart ones will see the opportunity.

The fake Answerfans question was funny, just because it is nice to see a staff member of ANN poking fun a company that supports this site. All the Anime Castle ads are very tacky, but I put up with them as one should. The worst is "Do you watch Anime tied up?" What are they implying, I wonder.

As for the answers to last week's Answerfans:

Am I the only one who thought the dub for Cardcaptor Sakura (thought I knew it as Cardcaptors) was any good? I haven't listened to the original, to be fair, but for what it was I think it was rather acceptable. Anime just isn't shown on television here AS Anime. They are cartoons. Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Yu-gi-oh. Ask any person (let alone child) who is not an Anime Fan what they are, and the answer will almost universally be they are cartoons. Made for children, by American studios. They do not accept the fact that anything animated can be aimed at adults, or even teenagers (except Disney and Pixar). They would find it hard to accept that they let their children watch a Japanese cartoon. The dubs reflect that. After all, Honda isn't a name of a Yu-gi-oh character, it's a car company.

Therefore, all animated productions are marketed squarely at children. Honda becomes Tristan. And you know what? Kids watch it. They get into Anime without getting into Anime. They don't care that Cardcaptors was aimed at an older demographic. They do not care that the voices sound "terrible", for terrible is relative. Top dubs are wasted on children. Foreign names can be confusing, and hard to pronounce.

I watched Cardcaptors when I was younger, and I liked it. I thought the voices were okay and not too fancy, I thought the story repetitive but easy to follow, I thought the powers were alright and varied. My tastes have evolved as I have matured, and I have a limited budget. Ergo, I wouldn't buy the dub. It was aimed at children, which I am not. The original, then? Perhaps.

Alright, my little speech is almost at an end. I just would like to take the time to scold all those who denounce a children's cartoon as not being adult enough. If the dub had been faithful, it never would have made it onto T.V. screens, and my before-school television watching would have so much the poorer. So, shame on the dub detractors. Shame on you.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, after looking at the Best Dubs and Worst Dubs lists, I really have to wonder about some people's tastes in dubs. (Except Philip Meyer, whose picks are both titles I also consider amongst the all-time best and all-time worst.)

Fruits Basket getting a harsh thumbs-down? Please. Listen to more than 5 minutes of it (at least a full episode, anyway) and I think you'd change your mind. I could certainly show anyone several dozen anime titles that incontrovertibly have worse-fitting and worse-performed English dubs than that one.

Gankutsuou getting a thumbs-up? Enh. There's a reason why more people don't champion that one. It didn't suck, but wasn't great, either.

On the (serious) new question: it may soon not be an issue anymore, as it sounds like certain Japanese government/business aspects are at least considering it seriously. If it were to be done, it should only be done with groups that have long and proven track records; I've seen fansubs from some of these fly-by-night groups that were terrible.

On the not-so-serious question: no. Water and electronics do not mix. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Love the completely differing opinions on Shaman King.

Actually, I will agree somewhat with the first poster-- as much as 4Kids dubs suck (TERRIBLY) in terms of writing and pointless changes, the level of voice acting really is better than the average dub, in terms of establishing a character and vocal inflection and such. I think this might be because it's easier to dub a kids' show more dramatically (acting silly or over-the-top is a lot easier than acting serious), and because the voice actors tend to be a bit more experienced than your average Funimation actor. Even great shows with critically acclaimed dubs like Fullmetal Alchemist make me cringe during the serious parts, with inflection that's either too forced for the scene or too monotone, and actor casting that's too generic and not distinctive at all; however, the developed 4Kids Team Rocket ALWAYS makes me smile, even if the dialogue is crap. The personality that shines through, the distinctiveness of the vocals, the strong variation in tone, the stellar insane laughs... THAT is voice acting.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
I seriously am beginning to believe I am the only one, though I've seen all of the series and both movies subbed, I like the dub of CCS. Yes, I know the butchered the show to smithereens, but the acting itself I truly did like. And don't tell me you wouldn't defend a show that you watched and loved when you were a kid? It's something about watching something when you were younger and you become attached to that particular formate, ALTHOUGH the 2nd movies dub can burn : D And again, stems from the fact that I liked the TV series dub lol
SomeVito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
You know with the whole Shaman King Chinese/British thing, Hong Kong was a British colony from 1842 to 1997 so you could argue that a British accent is more authentic maybe since there is more of UK influence.

Also what’s with the lack of mention of the loose cannon dubs that play by their own rules: Samurai Pizza Cats, Lupin III, and Shin Chan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15