• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dororo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately if it is a Sentai dub I am not expecting much in that department but that’s okay having the series released on Blu-Ray is enough for me
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This makes me really happy... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So when this article states "new dub" is that implying that Amazon at some point dubbed this series? That certainly is how this article is reading to me.

Amazon never dubbed Dororo. ANN is using Sentai's terminology; they use the term "new dub", even if no other English dub exists.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So when this article states "new dub" is that implying that Amazon at some point dubbed this series? That certainly is how this article is reading to me.

Amazon never dubbed Dororo. ANN is using Sentai's terminology; they use the term "new dub", even if no other English dub exists.

I've never noticed sentai use that terminology for something that hadn't been dubbed before. Honestly I figured that amazon never got involved with dubbing that show but its still a unique word to use especially after announcing they were giving Hero Mask a "new" dub.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
oh dope it'll be great to have this series on Bluray
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

I've never noticed sentai use that terminology for something that hadn't been dubbed before. Honestly I figured that amazon never got involved with dubbing that show but its still a unique word to use especially after announcing they were giving Hero Mask a "new" dub.

It's not technically an incorrect usage. The original japanese track is technically a dub as well, since any voice that's recorded and mixed into preexisting visuals is a "dub". But that's still not how the vast majority of anime fans use the term so it's definitely awkward they are stating it this way...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:28 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
he has more or less completely burned bridges with Sentai after they blacklisted and recast Krystal in the Beyond the Boundary dub. So don't expect to see him directing or acting in any Sentai dubs from here on out.
I don't know, he directed the second season of Chaika: The Coffin Princess, which she was recast in. I mean if he was still willing to work with after that. But we may never know given how he may never even be well enough to direct, never mind act.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, only because he needed health insurance for his lung surgery, so he kept quiet until he got his transplants
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
ANN is using Sentai's terminology; they use the term "new dub", even if no other English dub exists.

I've never noticed sentai use that terminology for something that hadn't been dubbed before.

They have used it before but for stuff they previously released sub-only.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Finally. It’s stuff like this that reminds how long it usually takes for a non-SimulDub series to get licensed and dubbed. I guess the existence of SimulDubs has spoiled me.

Anyway, I’m anticipating the dub cast. Sentai’s dubs can be rough sometimes, but they tend to do a way better job with anime they know are well-reviewed and/or popular (I think their dubs of Haikyu and Nozaki-Kun are some of their best, for example.)

And I feel like since this is not a simulcast dub, Sentai can take more risks with their casting. I like Funimation’s veterans and all. But one of the major downsides with their SimulDubs is that you’ll hear the same VAs over and over again, since they don’t have the time to properly audition people and just pick who they know.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Very glad about this. I have been struggling to get started watching Dororo, and also that other sword anime on Amazon, because the video player on Amazon prime works great for movies but isn't great for series.
A dub doesn't really fix this issue but maybe the dub means the series will be available to stream elsewhere soon?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
Sheenoobuu wrote:
Very glad about this. I have been struggling to get started watching Dororo, and also that other sword anime on Amazon, because the video player on Amazon prime works great for movies but isn't great for series.
A dub doesn't really fix this issue but maybe the dub means the series will be available to stream elsewhere soon?
The dub won't be streaming on Amazon Video, so far none of them have, even the dub for Blade of the Immortal, which Amazon co-financed, is only available on Blu-Ray.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
This is great news!

And yes, I've contacted companies before about a Banana Fish release and dub. Sentai was the only one who said they would "put it on the list".

*throws money stained with tears*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2