• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dota: Dragon's Blood Episodes 1-8 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been a fan of the game since 2012 when it was still in beta and have logged an embarrassing 5,000+ hours into the game.

I have 6,300+ hours in the game. You got nothing on me.

But yes, it is completely incomprehensible why valve didn't market the game like this years sooner.

Also, Marci is my waifu.

Last edited by kinghumanity on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Valve, not sufficiently marketing one of its properties?

*laughs/cries in over a decade's worth of TF2*
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Watched this with a friend and both of us have 2-3000 hours in the game each. We were pleasantly surprised with how good it was, as we expected it to be a lot cheesier. Terrorblade is my friend's favorite Hero to play in the game so it was cool to see him as the main villain. Was interesting they chose him instead of other cosmic evils, like Doom, Shadow Fiend, Bane, Outworld Destroyer, or Enigma.

They definitely set up a second season with the end of the show ending on a sort of cliffhanger. Hope they introduce more Heroes from the game as well as more original characters. Really liked the deaf girl that was Mirana's squire/body guard. Also will the show be added to ANN's encyclopedia?
Spore_777_Mexen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
Show took me completely by surprise and made me want to play the game.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
Never played this series, still found this better than the Dragon's Dogma animation. Maybe I'll give the game a shot? Or way too late?
Eriol_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Maybe I'll give the game a shot? Or way too late?

Valve and the community knew that newcomers would be interested.
It's probably the best time to be a new player. There's a solid tutorial mode, both official and custom community map, with free skins as rewards for completion. You can hop in with friends or alone, there's AI controlled games and sandbox modes so you can test to your heart's content before you even hop in a 5v5 human controlled game. In-game glossary, extensive wiki, build guides, newcomer tooltip and item modes, free volunteer coaches, probably more.

I wish I had half of that when I was starting out.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
I find it strange that Davion dislike the dragon blood. Like his encounter with the dragon in the lore is basically he found the dragon was old and waiting for it death so he gave the dragon one last fight so it can die with dignity. The dragon ended up rewarded him with the dragon blood. The lore and the hero lines in the game never indicated that Davion hate his dragon part, for him it more like an honor.

Also picked Terrorblade as the villain kinda weird, he more of an emo guy who escape prison rather than a schemer, that more fitting for Shadow Demon.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Really liked the deaf girl that was Mirana's squire/body guard. Also will the show be added to ANN's encyclopedia?

Marci is love. Marci is life. Marci is also mute and not deaf. Laughing

I never played a single second of the game/s. I don't know how true they are to the lore and characters and so on. But this show took me by surprise. I liked the art style and characterizations. And the fact that it's rather mature in handling them. I didn't find the romance to be atrocious in its attempt. It worked for me. First time I saw Mirana, I went "Ah, there's the love interest". Besides that, I kinda buy their relationship. They ar enot head over heels for eatch other, it's blossoming instead of being rushed and eye-rolling akward (something I really depside in any sort of media). The plot is kind of messy or rather the way the story unfolds/plot points are told with all the back and forth, forth and back. Sometimes I had to pause the video to make sure I understood what was going on and why. It's not overly complicated, though, just ... muddled. I guess they tried to cram as much as poosible into it. I'm really looking forward to a second season.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Valve, not sufficiently marketing one of its properties?

*laughs/cries in over a decade's worth of TF2*

Chances are that Valve planned to release the announcement during TI10 but with COVID19, that plan probably fell through the ground.

LegitPancake wrote:
Also will the show be added to ANN's encyclopedia?

Unlikely as there is no actual Japanese production company behind this -- I believe that is the requirement for an anime on ANN.

For those interested, DOTA: Dragon's Blood is animated by Studio MIR.
The Japanese dub cast consists of:
Davion: Suzuhi Tatsuhisa
Mirana: Serika Hiromatsu
Terrorblade: Taiten Kusonoki
Slyrak: Takaoka Binbin
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
I find it strange that Davion dislike the dragon blood. Like his encounter with the dragon in the lore is basically he found the dragon was old and waiting for it death so he gave the dragon one last fight so it can die with dignity. The dragon ended up rewarded him with the dragon blood. The lore and the hero lines in the game never indicated that Davion hate his dragon part, for him it more like an honor.

Also picked Terrorblade as the villain kinda weird, he more of an emo guy who escape prison rather than a schemer, that more fitting for Shadow Demon.

My sense of Davion is that he absolutely hates dragon but he's honorable enough to treat them with respect, when deserved, and not act purely out of malice towards them. Especially when there's a bigger problem at hand (like Terrorblade). Which is probably part of why Slyrak chose him.

I know nothing about the game but my assumption is Davion and Slyrak will bond with each other over the course of the series until they more or less become a team in one body.
xesasder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Is the game worth playing? I haven't tried it, but some recommend it with great enthusiasm. But, the show is a real work of art; I enjoyed every second, every minute. Thanks to this show, I fell in love with these animals more and more, and I even identify with their temperament. I now have a whole collection of dragon toys and items bought from dragon-vibe.com. My girlfriend says I'm crazy. So, when it's a holiday or my birthday, she gives me gifts about everything related to dragons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1