• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sk8 the Infinity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Shadow deserved better

Agreed one of the most disappointing things for me about the finale. We have this whole thing about Shadow throughout the series just to turn it into a one second joke at the end.

But Sk8 was alright. I loved most of the characters including Langa and Reki. But I felt the whole drama with Adam brought the series down.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Was not expecting the end of what could generously be called the investigator's "sub-plot" to be "she basically accomplishes nothing and Adam gets away with everything"
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh wait, my boy Shadow didn't get with the flower-shop girl at the end?! Never mind, this episode completely failed.

So. Much. This. 0/10.

j/k. But I will dock a couple points for the extended Reki moping. 8/10.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We never even get a full explanation of why he turned out the way he did

You keep saying this, and I still don't know what it is about his backstory that you wanted but feel the show didn't provide. We learned everything about him from his childhood to his toxic family life to his present, and while we didn't get any characters bluntly stating, "This is why he turned to the dark side," there was more than enough to fill in the blanks. What should they have done?

Anyway, I absolutely loved this finale. We got some long smoldering looks between Reki and Langa, and some subtext smashed to text about Ainosuke and his boy Tadashi, plus a fabulous new outfit for Adam. The skating was phenomenal. I got chills watching Adam and Langa skating side-by-side like I haven't since my first viewing of Sayo Yamamoto's Endless Night for Animator Expo. Beautiful.

My only beef is with the Kiriko sidestory being so abruptly dumped. Also to a lesser degree with Shadow's unrequited love, though the series never gave us any reason to believe she was at all interested in him. I don't really favor using her as a trophy for his being a nice guy in his mundane life, so while it's sad for him, I really can't feel too bad about it.

I would totally be here for another season of this if Hiroko Utsumi directs again.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Quote:

I would totally be here for another season of this if Hiroko Utsumi directs again.

Word is Sk8's Bluray 1 sold over 7000 copies in Japan during its 1st release week. If future sales can maintain the numbers, and if there's will and availability from producers and animation staff...

There's also a rather humourous official Sk8 audio drama called Cindereki, which is basically the cast re-enacting Cinderella (bonus with Joe as the fairy godbrother who flexes an entire carriage for Cindereki to take to the ball).
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
Adam new outfit was fabolous. I liked final episode and enjoyed series overall. I hope series will get enough success to give signh to companies to invest some money in original anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
@zztop: I could only find a snippet of the Cindereki thing on YT, abruptly ending with the threat of palm trees. Very Happy But since then I see someone has put up the whole thing.

And I meant it about if Hiroko Utsumi directs. I mean, I'd probably watch it anyway, but I'd rather they not do it at all without her, because I remember how Free! went downhill after they handed it off to someone else. This just needs her unique vision and flair to sell this kind of over-the-top stuff. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4