• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes and no.

I mean... Rin and Nadeshiko had already met her when she was completely off her rocker drunk, so her having one drink and being only vaguely visibly under the influence is fairly restraint-like on her part. And it's not like the girls aren't mature enough to understand the concept of alcohol and the potential danger when you overimbibe. Also, Toba was on the phone with her sister, who actually kinda commended her for having only one, maybe two, drinks. That, and you can also give her a bit of a benefit of the doubt seeing as she was responsible enough to drop everything and rush out to check on the girls when they were out camping in minus many degrees, only loosening up when it became clear that they were fine.

As far as Japan and alcohol go, I kinda get that there's a serious drinking culture going on, which may or may not tie in with the whole working culture there. Work yourself to near death, then go out drinking to unwind. Is that healthy? Probably highly unlikely, but despite that, does Japan have a problem with underage kids using alcohol and drugs to an unsettling degree? How does teenagers like Rin and Nadeshiko learn about the potential dangers of alcohol anyway? In that respect, I'd imagine Toba would be a great instructor, in that she shows them pretty clearly what happens when you've simply had too much to drink.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
The "drunken-sensei" concept is one of my most hated memes in anime. Often it's combined with the equally disgusting "Christmas-cake" meme for female teachers. In fact I can't think of a show with a male drunken sensei.

Another female drunken sensei appeared recently in the show about girls' fishing, Houkago Teibou Nisshi, as well.

As someone who had to deal with an alcoholic wife, I don't find these characters amusing. Being a drunk is not kawaii.

Some of the images in Yuru Camp are quite photo-realistic. The shot with the stream in the ED always catches my attention.

BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Sigh. I am so so sorry to have to read reviews like this one that try so hard to say "meaningful things" intended to show the author is sophisticaled in Anime things and can and will be happy to pour their shallow analysis all over us the reader. I am sorry but you just dont have a clue about what makes this a superb show. It is NOT based on any form or philosophy or "spokesman" or lead charcters, that is trivial and meaningless babble ..this show is sublime because it uses the very best qualities of Anime to make magic plain and simple.

it is painful to a Japanese person to see our culture cut up in little pieces by this kind of review. There is far far more "under the hood" of this splendid show. What I would have enjoyed much more would be a sensitive and sympathetic discussion of the author (the reviewer not the author of the story) of the author's personal feelings that the show evoked.

i have skillfully avoided reading reviews of good anime and stumbled on this one by accident but i just had to share a bit. I will return to the actual show as it continues to spin its magical path. thanks so much Director, artists and staff for making this happen for us, it shows that Anime can and does continue to spin superb magic from all sorts of stories.

thank you.

If anything, this reviewer has done a strong job of explaining what about the episode worked for him, and there are plenty of others out there who similarly share meaningful reasons for why they enjoy Yuru Camp. You don't get to come in here and claim that just because we're outside of Japan, we can't appreciate the show like you do. While Yuru Camp may be made in Japan, the story speaks of experiences that are universally understood. You can't fault others for wanting to talk about it.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This episode does leave one important question unanswered... when are we getting physical release!?
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The "drunken-sensei" concept is one of my most hated memes in anime. Often it's combined with the equally disgusting "Christmas-cake" meme for female teachers. In fact I can't think of a show with a male drunken sensei. ]

I think the word you're looking for is "trope", not "meme". A trope is a recognizable plot element, theme or visual cue in fiction ("drunk older lady" and "female teacher with a complex about not being married yet" are common anime tropes, and honestly I'm not a big fan of either of them myself). Memes are harder to define, but nowadays it basically means "funny images/videos/pieces of text that are copied and spread like wildfire on the internet".

On the topic of the show, I was pleasantly surprised that this season would be 13 episodes long instead of 12. I liked how the last episode left the characters having bittersweet feelings about the trip being over, but still gaining a lot of great memories. I'm a little sad that the season is over, since I really enjoyed it, and I hope we get another season in the future.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
I think the word you're looking for is "trope", not "meme".

Thanks. I knew "meme" wasn't quite the right choice and didn't think of "trope." So yes, the "drunken sensei," particularly the "drunken female sensei" is one of my least favorite tropes. Hell, it even shows up in a series as worthwhile as Dennou Coil where the teacher gets drunk from eating whiskey bonbons. She's also a "Christmas cake" and gets harassed by one of her charges for being single.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4