• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Little Spider That Could

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed the anime adaptation of Reincarnated as spider, So what? Despite quite a few bits of cutting and reordering it has managed to tell a really concise story and cut back on the harder to consume portions. Like the walls of text fly past in the anime in a few moments but there where entire chapters devoted to skill tinkering. I think its all a net positive. Especially with it tying parallels between the human and spider sides of the story. That was a great conceit.

I have a few niggles that are not worth going into for spoiling peoples enjoyment of the show but the one thing I didn't like was some CG monster designs that just dont feel right. Especially the frogs and monkeys where they feel both simple and ugly and far too shiny.

Im glad the reviewers have managed to enjoy themselves. Interesting that they favoured the human side. I personally found the human sides lack of story, detail or personality outside of Shun a frustrating in both media forms. Seeing other takes on it is great to read. I have to agree on both reviewers favourite moments though. The use of the world setting as a way to both keep secrets and then reveal them as a kind of horror moment where spot on.

Looking forward to more. Promise me you guys will do another one at the end I want to see your takes on the final moments the series will get to.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, damn, imagine learning your brother died because you unlocked a new job class in your tactical RPG.

Dang. Like the Three Words in the Miles Vorkosigan book spoiler[Cryoburn]?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You guys are late to the Party on the Aoi Yuki Religion. Hibiki from Symphogear had it at full swing already. Anime hyper
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the half of Spider that's felt the most repetitive for me has easily been watching Kumoko scroll through literal walls of texts and allotting skill points.

That's a pretty heavy consequence of the cut content, since they cut quite a few fight.
You'd originally have a sequence like this:

Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats

But then when the fight get cut you end up with:

Fight->Stats->Stats->Fight->Stats->Stats

Which does get pretty repetitive.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I personally found the human sides lack of story, detail or personality outside of Shun a frustrating in both media forms.

Yeah Shun is basically a rock in both the anime and the LN.
Personally I was far more interested in Katia and Sue than Shun, too bad that the anime decided to cut several scenes of both girls that in my opinion are core of their characters.

meiam wrote:
That's a pretty heavy consequence of the cut content, since they cut quite a few fight.
You'd originally have a sequence like this:

Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats->Fight->Stats

Which does get pretty repetitive.

Oh boy. Say thanks that the LN actually cut a few more battles that happened in the WN just to explain skills.
IMO the only battle that I miss from the WN is the first battle against the Lord of the Fire Sea (the fire wyvern). In the WN Kumoko has 2 battles with him and end up running away from the first battle thanks to "Shadow Magic", a skill that she basically never used on the LN.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
I still like the Reincarnated as spider, So what? manga version better. I got into it through that before anime was thing. I was very disappointed in the way animators made the Kuma's spider form cutesy-like spider. I like more to the basics forms. I guess they have sell this visually to people more who many not wanted follow this.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Spider way more than I thought I would. So much so that I decided to check out the web novel. (I've wanted to try reading a Narou novel in its natural habitat for a while, and it seems like I could definitely do worse.)
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
Like, damn, imagine learning your brother died because you unlocked a new job class in your tactical RPG.

Dang. Like the Three Words in the Miles Vorkosigan book spoiler[Cryoburn]?

Hooray for another Vorkosigan fan! Yeah, that's another good example, though of crappy ways to learn someone important to you has died.

As far as angles go, I've seen comments that spoiler[apparently some of these angles are in fact, subtle hints about just whose POV the scene is being viewed from].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1