• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Super Cub: I already knew this from reading the manga adaptation, but this show's definitely a keeper. And it's a good adaptation, despite the obvious cutbacks. I like the background and sound design in particular.

I enjoyed it too, more than I expected to. I mean I like SOL, but SOL starring a person dealing with chronic depression is a bit of a departure from the usual. I definitely plan to keep watching though, at least for now. Going to be interesting to see what happens if it gets voted for weekly coverage though, since all the reviewers seem to want nothing more to do with it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Going to be interesting to see what happens if it gets voted for weekly coverage though, since all the reviewers seem to want nothing more to do with it.

Yeah, while I meant it more generally it was Super Cub that prompted my previous comment. I don’t know anything about the source material but I just feel like dropping a show about dealing with depression because the first episode is essentially depressing (or at least presenting the world from the perspective of a depressed person) could potentially be premature.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
Just caught Ep1 Full Dive and got a really good laugh, delightfully dark! I could use a really savage parody of SAO Alice about now...
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
I smiled the whole time I watched Slime Diaries and even let out what can only be described as a bark of laughter at the kitchen knife scene. Slime Diaries is going to be plain good fun if you just want to relax and be amused for 24 minutes of your day.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
Full Dive was more interesting than I was expecting. It is odd though that so many things were not brought in to other games. I can understand not wanting pain and wanting more than ordinary abilities, but it's weird that things like being able to taste and feel things and advanced AI would also be left to languish.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Full Dive was more interesting than I was expecting. It is odd though that so many things were not brought in to other games. I can understand not wanting pain and wanting more than ordinary abilities, but it's weird that things like being able to taste and feel things and advanced AI would also be left to languish.

Advanced AI isn't anything new,SAO has done it and Infinite Dendrogram too.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Advanced AI isn't anything new,SAO has done it and Infinite Dendrogram too.

What Covnam is saying is that within in the world of Full Dive, accepting that hyper-realistic games went out of fashion for various reasons, it still seems to make little sense that some of the more general-purpose features like advanced AI haven’t carried over to newer games. (I think things like the sense of touch are supposed to *exist* in newer games but in a more rudimentary form.)

There are some cases in real game development where a game is ahead of its time and isn’t immediately copied (e.g. vector animation in Another World or voxel tech in Outcast) or where progress essentially goes backwards — for example, the average for max player counts in multiplayer shooters had been increasing over time but suddenly dropped down to single digits when developers started targeting consoles over PC, and stayed down for years. It looks unlikely that there’ll be a plausible justification for it in Full Dive though.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Helix91 wrote:
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does ANN plan to cover season 3 of Thunderbolt Fantasy in the preview guide (or weekly reviews)? I know that it's had streaming reviews in the past.

Nobody on the preview guide team is currently caught up with Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Considering how enthusiastic ANN has been about Thunderbolt Fantasy in the past, that's both surprising and disappointing.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the emotional scale, I was really surprised how receptive I was to Super Cub. Like the protagonist looking out her window to see her new scooter in its parking spot and smiling, I think a lot of us could use some tiny glimmer of happiness that gets us out of the house right about now.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
Super Cub easily gonna be my favorite premiere of the shows I plan to watch.
It is pretty much minimal everything and yet it's just so good. (The background work by Kusanagi is phenomenal though).

I don't like the framing of that the animation isn't impressive bcs KAI is a new studio though, that makes like close to no sense. There's a lot more to it then just that but even then KAI did uma musume 2 last season instead of P. A. Works which managed to be more impressive in about every regard then season 1 of the show so ???
(granted it's mostly about the people attached to a project but still)

Last edited by Millhi on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 am Reply with quote
Super Cub - Manga was written for its 60th anniversary when they sold 100 million bikes globally. Despite the commercial aspect I think this is going to be a good slice of life, but ouch...

"Basically, the show wants to show you all the good things about being a Honda motorcycle owner while glossing over the negatives."... besides the fact its a cursed death machine that has an body count of 3 people.

No motorcycle road craft skills or basic safety training, she not even check her mirrors when Truck-kun nearly turned the series into an Isekai. Glad safety training is mandatory in Australia.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
^super cub is originally a light novel, not that what you said could be wrong.
At least its still ongoing and might actually pick it up eventually.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Yeah, while I meant it more generally it was Super Cub that prompted my previous comment. I don’t know anything about the source material but I just feel like dropping a show about dealing with depression because the first episode is essentially depressing (or at least presenting the world from the perspective of a depressed person) could potentially be premature.

I can see how you got that impression, but for me at least, I'm just not interested in the motorbike aspect of it. I thought Koguma's mental health was the best part.

I will, however, be more careful about saying I'm done with a show after one episode, because I surprise myself a lot when Preview Guide is over and often go back to something I thought I wouldn't and often am pleasantly surprised.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
That’s fair.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Nobody on the preview guide team is currently caught up with Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Considering how enthusiastic ANN has been about Thunderbolt Fantasy in the past, that's both surprising and disappointing.

The problem is that the people who were enthusiastic about the second season (Michelle, Andy, Zac, Nic Creamer, Gabrielle, maybe Jacob?) aren't the ones on the PG team this season, if they're still with ANN at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
re: Super Cub
Anyone remember Junichi Sato's One Off from nine years ago? Also a Cute Girls Riding Honda Motorcycles show. I'd guess the novel writer did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 25