• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's So Great About Tropical-Rouge! Precure?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
These series are written and planned a long time in advance with a lot of behind the scenes production They have to figure out all the different characters, their upgrades, and plan when the merchandise comes out to manufacturers and retailers well in advanced. That's how we usually get leaks for tokusatsu shows - toy catalogs that show up well in advance.

I think it's unlikely Suite was changed in any major way as a result of 3/11. I think Suite was always meant to be the way it is. A very laid back and low stakes series. Trio de Minor were goofball villains right from the get go spoiler[ until their upgrade forms later, anyway]

Well, it isn't THAT hard: as long as you keep the toys, character designs and voice tone, the production comitee will be happy. Of course it's still a swerve hard to pull off because of animation lead-in times but these were extraordinary circumstances. Goofy seasons like Fresh and Smile (huh) started out way goofier than Suite.

It's also my understanding that the toy designs tend to precede the show's writing; can't pull any hard quotes or links but I'd read about how apparently some gadgets/tools for Cures were designed as toys first and their relevance was later figured out by the writing team. Which sounds like business as usual for a show mostly aimed at selling toys.

Joe Mello wrote:

And Wizard was...fine? Little underbaked, but had a banger of an opening.

LIFE IS SHOWTIME, "TORIKU" JA NAI

Wizard was my first big letdown with Kamen Rider; I was riding high off of Fourze and Wizard was just kinda dull. The Wizard Driver was cool but I found the rings kinda uninteresting, so I ducked out after 12 episodes. I hear it picks up after Beast joins, but I still haven't worked up the patience to get back into Wizard. But again: I'd take a bullet for anyone who stans Haruto.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
So far the only precure I've been able to finish in one go has been GoPri, which had a blend of characters, themes and villains that all really worked with me and maintained it's quality all the way through. I feel like that somewhat affects my expectations for other seasons cause I tend to fall off after 10 or so episodes due to one thing or the other putting me off (which tends to be animation more often than not).

I'm still enjoying Tropical Rouge for now, but I can see myself putting it on hold soon due to the villain's not being very interesting as the reviewers said.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
If anything, Healin' Good felt more like the safer bet for Toei from the get-go, after the more experimental nature of Star Twinkle. It's just such a coincidence that COVID-19 happened throughout the year that it aired, making it a much special show then originally intended.

To me, Tropical Rouge felt like Smile: it's a perfect fit for the period in which it is airing (Smile aired the year after the Tohoku earthquake in 2011); it's not trying to be a show with big themes or overarching plots, and yet it has it's own flavor, that is, a more light-hearted, goofy take on the franchise with a unique setting and set of characters. I personally love Smile, so of course I was excited for Tropical Rouge, and from the first six episodes, I can say that it delivers.
paworksfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
But I meant Sentai teams led by a woman (hence the ShinkenRed remark). And female Riders have a pretty bad track record (to say nothing of there ever being a show led by a female Rider).

But what was actually said: "Where Super Sentai and Kamen Rider doggedly refuse to cast female leads ... Precure has gone so far as to even allow boys to be Pretty Cures!"

Just to make it explicit: having female sentais and riders but no team leads is much superior to "Cure Infini" existing for about 5 minutes - and doing absolutely nothing - or whatever the deal was with Julio (a fairy by the way). Also, it is far more common for male-led hero shows to have heroines than for female-aimed hero shows to have plot-relevant male characters at all, especially those that aren't brothers, fathers or villains.

And ... the Pretty Cure franchise is a great example of this. The plot-relevant human male characters are who, exactly? Remove "little brother" characters - which would also eliminate the fairy Julio - and I guess there's a childhood friend character in Happiness Charge. Didn't do much beyond be in a VERY passive love triangle (or love pentagon) and get "a brainwashed villain of the day" turn, but that is as good as it gets for human male characters in that franchise.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
If we're looking at it from a "Precure needs male characters for male viewers to relate to" well.. I'm not sure many male viewers really care about that. Most of the guys watching Precure are doing so for the female characters. Likewise, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai generally cast male and female idols and models for their characters to capture the housewife/husband and otaku/fujoshi audiences. Speaking of Wizard, one of the big issues with Wizard I remember was Koyomi's actress was so busy with idol activities she didn't really get much screen time or focus since her actress was always busy to shoot and a lot of her scenes were away from the main cast. But despite that, she remained pretty popular with male viewers. So if the argument there is Kamen Rider and Super Sentai need female leaders to appeal to female viewers, well... again I think most female viewers are more interested in the male characters and following the male idols, hense why we get a lot of in-characters gravure photobooks and photoshoots like Toei has been doing in Weekly Playboy for awhile now. I'm really curious what they're going to do for Zenkaiger in Weekly Playboy given the main cast are robots. I guess they could do their human forms we saw in the specials.

Obvious Precure doesn't really have an equivalent to that kind of stuff (yet) but I think the fan community tends to take care of that aspect, as well as the figures aimed at adult collectors. Toei really only cares about the adult male audience rather than little boy audience. But I suppose the argument is they should and have more male characters in the show? I don't think the market really wants that, though. I think these arguments are the same as saying Yuri!! On Ice or Free! need more female characters in them, or an idol anime needs more male characters in it. I think it kind of misses what the audience is actually watching it for even though I know it's being said out of a place of wanting to include more people.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Precure could benefit from the occasional boy though. More than the incidental pathetics things we've had so far anyway. It could keep boys engaged for longer after SHT is over and the overall message would be pretty positive anyway.
Julio was juuuust so close...

El Hermano wrote:
I think these arguments are the same as saying Yuri!! On Ice or Free! need more female characters in them, or an idol anime needs more male characters in it.

I will forever be mad as Yuri On Ice's misleading title.
And Show By Rock wouldn't be better without ShingancrimsonZ! The male idols in the first iDOLM@STER anime also made for interesting rivals, all things considered.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I will forever be mad as Yuri On Ice's misleading title.
And Show By Rock wouldn't be better without ShingancrimsonZ!

It's not that misleading if you know the difference. The "Yuri" in yuri genre and the "Yuri" in Yuri on Ice are both pronounced and written differently (the "Yuri" in Yuri on Ice's title has a long U sound, written in katakana as ユーリ).

I do agree that ShingancrimsonZ are a highlight in Show by Rock. I didn't watch much of it since it ultimately wasn't my thing, but I enjoyed every scene they were in.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It's region locked for now. But there are plenty of pretty cures on Crunchyroll that are not. It turns out I find them pretty enjoyable.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
"I'm not feeling this"

> has to work for the lazy giant mermaid villain

"Yeah I'll get to it tomorrow"

It's a paradox that they have to be motivated enough to steal motivation or something
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2