• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Live-Action Gundam Film; Jordan Vogt-Roberts to Direct

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Already a streaming service?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to get that big budget G-Saviour sequel we've all been waiting for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if being associated as a live-action anime adaption on Netflix is the best course of action, but we still don't really know a lot about this production.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna believe it until it actually happens, but it is apparent it's more likely now than it ever has been before.

Also, glad to a see a reminder on the Gundam UC2 thing that was accidentally announced before - I wonder if this is supposed to be that or something else. (Pretty unlikely it's coming out in 2022 either way)
penguintruth wrote:
Are we going to get that big budget G-Saviour sequel we've all been waiting for?

g-saviour good
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Christian Bale as Char Aznable and Shia LaBeouf as Amuro
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy here we go. Another “live action” anime adaption where 90% of it is animated.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what to think about this. I really enjoyed Kong: Skull Island and Jordan seems to be an anime fan. If this project goes into production soon I wonder how the production is going to be. Is it going to adapt the original '79 anime or is it going to be an original story or a combination of various Gundam works. Legendary has made a lot of high-budget films but I wonder how much is it going to cost, I assume most of the effects will be CGI, but it would be cool if they use some practical effects for the Mobile Suits cockpits and the spaceships.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Not sure what to think about this. I really enjoyed Kong: Skull Island and Jordan seems to be an anime fan. If this project goes into production soon I wonder how the production is going to be. Is it going to adapt the original '79 anime or is it going to be an original story or a combination of various Gundam works. Legendary has made a lot of high-budget films but I wonder how much is it going to cost, I assume most of the effects will be CGI, but it would be cool if they use some practical effects for the Mobile Suits cockpits and the spaceships.

Supposedly they tested the screenwriter by having them watch Narrative and try to spot all the references.

So I think it will definitely either be set in the Universal Century (short of adapting the original Gundam) or be derivative of it.
Scary-Monsters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
What could possibly go wrong, especially with masterpieces like Pacific Rim Uprising and KOTM under their belt. /s
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Scary-Monsters wrote:
What could possibly go wrong, especially with masterpieces like Pacific Rim Uprising and KOTM under their belt. /s

Legendary has more hits then misses.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Christian Bale as Char Aznable and Shia LaBeouf as Amuro

Shia LaBeouf? He's a little too old at this point to play Amuro. Not to mention the other stuff that came out about him this year which I won't get into that was controversial. I'd be hoping for someone like Tom Holland at least he has a young looking face. Asa Butterfield would be great as a Gundam live action protagonist.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Although I will say Saga didn't really impress me beyond its first few volumes, I've enjoyed Brian K. Vaughan's more popular works (especially Y: The Last Man. I'm curious to see what he'll come up with!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Supposedly they tested the screenwriter by having them watch Narrative and try to spot all the references.

So I think it will definitely either be set in the Universal Century (short of adapting the original Gundam) or be derivative of it.

I assumed if Hollywood wanted to adapt Gundam it would be based arround the Universal Century continuity, but with some elements from Gundam Wing, since it was one of the first contact for many people with the franchise.
I also wonder what they have in mind for the movie versions of the mobile suits. I didn't like the mechanical desings of the Transformers and Power Rangers live-actions, but Bandai will probably be involved very closely in the mecha designs
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I assumed if Hollywood wanted to adapt Gundam it would be based arround the Universal Century continuity, but with some elements from Gundam Wing, since it was one of the first contact for many people with the franchise.
I also wonder what they have in mind for the movie versions of the mobile suits. I didn't like the mechanical desings of the Transformers and Power Rangers live-actions, but Bandai will probably be involved very closely in the mecha designs

What I wouldn't mind seeing them do is combine all of the themes from previous series and combine them into a new timeline so Newtypes, Coordinators, Mobile Dolls, etc. That way they give themselves lots of options for sequels and TV spin offs if all goes well.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

The Mobile Suit design in G-Savior, while not amazing, was at least generally on-point so I'm not too worried about that, but I'm kind of curious what the Gundam will look like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3