• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
To Your Eternity: I was not crying as the others (I'm usually resistant to this stuff but not completely), but I get it. After all, spoiler[the original boy, his wolf, and pretty much the entire village is already dead. The key visual is misleading - most likely on purpose - for it's that immortal entity's journey from now on who took the form of the boy, him being alone and with no wolf companion at all.] But I'll keep watching, especially looking forward to hearing Hikisaka Rie in a leading role again, it's been a while since she voiced Nono Hana in Hugtto.

And that's it for me! Osamake is coming out tomorrow but I'm not sure the preview guide will cover it, but I'll definitely vote for it.

Here's what I've ended up sticking with (besides the above-mentioned series):

Dynazenon: 2nd episode was even better than the first, it has an intriguing plot and lovable characters (especially Gauma, who's best boy).
Tropical-Rouge! Precure: it's more Precure, but this series is especially about having fun with its premise. Hopefully people will actually vote for it.
Combatants: the odd one out, it's a very trashy show and it's definitely the worst of the bunch, but at the same time it entertains me, so I'll stick with it.
Super Cub: it's a slice of life iyashikei, but it's an unusual one, because it's entirely about relaxing or feeling good; it's more melancholic spoiler[and a silently angry] piece, but it's still a good time.
Higehiro: after watching the 2nd episode, I'm now confident where is this heading (an age gap harem show), and that might turn off some folks, but it's not enough for me to be deterred, because I like the execution.
Mug Cup: it's basically a tourist advertisement, but I still enjoy it.
Zombieland Saga S2: it's more of the same, and that's good.
86: it was my favorite premiere of the season by a long shot, it's an intriguing premise and it has a wonderful execution, and it's one of the prettiest shows right now (which probably explains why is it split cour in the first place).
Slime 300: it was surprisingly wholesome, I dig these kind of shows, I liked Kuma Bear as well and this one's kind of similar.

I might check out Megalobox S2 or Shadows House later (although for the latter I might go with the manga instead). Cramer and Dragon Goes House-Hunting sadly ends up on the chopping block for me, for I'm not capable of watching more than this many series at once and they're not enjoyable enough for me to stick with them.

EDIT: and of course I forgot to mention the new Godzilla show that ended up stuck in Netflix jail. I might check that one out as well at some point.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Joran seemed kind of superficial on the first episode, and I still don't know that it has entirely convinced me otherwise, but I have to admit it is kind of winning me over. The protagonist-kid relationship has kinda suckered me in. (This post has been an exercise in seeing how many ways I can say 'kind of' without repeating it verbatim.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
An Eternity of Ice and Snow was amazing. I wonder if the rest will be him just traveling a la Kino, or if he'll be shifting into new bodies as those he meets and learns from die? Clearly heartbreak lies ahead in either case.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice. - Robert Frost
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 am Reply with quote
Anyone who decided about Mashiro no Oto ("Those Snow White Notes") without watching the second episode are doing themselves a disservice. Two blockbuster performances in one episode. This show is helping me appreciate classical Japanese music.

Still contending with Odd Taxi and To Your Eternity for best of spring, 2021.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Anyone who decided about Mashiro no Oto ("Those Snow White Notes") without watching the second episode are doing themselves a disservice. Two blockbuster performances in one episode. This show is helping me appreciate classical Japanese music.

Fully agreed. This one wasn't on my "to watch" list despite a solid episode 1, but the quality of the performances in episode 2 (both in visual presentation and musical senses) is making me reconsider.

At the very least, I'm absolutely voting for it for episode reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
Key, will someone review weekly episodes of Boruto again like before? Because there's no weekly reviews of Boruto on ANN for three months and Boruto is not included on Choose Your Daily Streaming Reviews:Spring 2021.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kuroha Shida is the eponymous childhood friend from the title, and her oh-so-brilliant plan to both help her crush Sueharu Maru out of his depression when he learns that the girl he likes has a boyfriend is to have him pretend to be her boyfriend

Well that sounds like we're going to get a nice boat ending, that could be fun.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Osamake: this was not exactly what I expected. Turns out it's a "revenge"-type romantic comedy, but I have a feeling it goes both ways, that Abe guy seems to know more about our MC than he lets on, being the unreliable narrator that he is. And I think his talk about revenge might have been premature, since it looks like he exposed himself pretty quickly. I wouldn't rule out Abe ending up with the MC's love interest might have been on purpose, but even if it isn't, it still served his interests. And we've got a hint what the title is actually about: as long as the childhood friend ends up being happy, she won't lose, so it might not be about her ending up with the MC after all. That 7-timing (!) asshole can burn though and I hope he'll have his comeuppance.

I'll give it a go for sure.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Key, will someone review weekly episodes of Boruto again like before? Because there's no weekly reviews of Boruto on ANN for three months and Boruto is not included on Choose Your Daily Streaming Reviews:Spring 2021.

At this point it seems unlikely as we didn't have anyone else on staff following the show week to week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Matsuoka kills it again in OsaMake, I'm looking forward to this show. Though the latter half felt a bit fast, I'll have to see if any content got trimmed.

Given that Thunderbolt Fantasy is on the poll, does that mean someone's able to cover it despite the lack of preview coverage?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes! We have reviewers who weren't part of preview guide that could potentially cover Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Also here's the link to the streaming poll:

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/901/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Does Let's Make a Mug Too not qualify for streaming reviews? At 15 minutes it's pretty close to full length (and the live action segment takes it the rest of the way). It's been pretty promising so far!
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Osamake seems to be missing from the main preview guide page listing.

Is it just me or does this season seem to be more packed then usual? Perhaps the numbers will show something different, but it does feel like that to me.

Odd Taxi: Watched the first two eps and loved it. I feel like this would be fun to watch even without the mystery that seems to be going on in the background, just following this cab driver around.

Slimes for 300 Years: this seems like nice fluff, I'll probably keep up with this

Combatants: Ep 2 was closer to what I was hoping the first episode would be, so I'm looking forward to seeing more Smile

Dragon House Hunting: Ep 2: I enjoyed this episode more than the first (the video game jokes in the 2nd half really helped with that though) and the show seems to have settled in to what the summary presented, a fantasy world house hunting show. I'm still not sure if I'll continue watching (I really don't care for Letty), but I might keep watching based on seeing more of this world

The world ends with you: I loved the game and while I wouldn't say the anime is probably better than an average show so far, it was fun to hear the great music and go through the story again
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Is it just me or does this season seem to be more packed then usual? Perhaps the numbers will show something different, but it does feel like that to me.

Could be covid effect, all the show that were delayed last year are coming out now.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Some random historical notes on Cestvs:

• A cestus is a battle glove used by both the ancient Greeks and Romans. (Gladiators shown in this series are using the Roman version, which was more commonly studded or spiked and was commonly long enough to serve as forearm armor.) So yeah, the main character is named after his weapon.
• Pankration was an actual sport from ancient Greece which was somewhat akin to what MMA is now.
• This is probably a fairly accurate portrayal of the way Nero was at the beginning of his reign. Same for his mother (Agrippina the Younger).
• The first few years of Nero's reign was, indeed, one of the Golden Ages of imperial Rome. (Many scholars think this was because highly competent subordinates mostly ran the show.)
• The dark-haired young woman in the imperial box is probably meant to be Octavia, Nero's wife and, technically, step-sister. (And first cousin to his mother, IIRC - it gets messy.)
• The elder Demetrius is probably based very loosely on Sextus Afrianus Burrus, a prefect of the Praetorian Guard who was one of Nero's two chief advisors. (The original wasn't Greek or ever a gladiator.)

(I may have written an honors thesis on this time period in Roman history during college. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25