• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Aims High: "My Next Work Will Crush Demon Slayer and Evangelion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Soooooo..... what is he gonna do? Retcon Zeta again? He already retold the original Gundam in the form of movies decades ago.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gonna crush them with more G-Reco Laughing
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
No, because it's Tomino, he's going to crush us with depression instead. Rolling Eyes
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the full context. It's very common for these quotes to get pulled and passed around with none, lacking the sense of humor it was actually said with, so it seems like it's always better to wait for clarification like this before jumping to conclusions.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
he is either going to do an isekai or a magical girl show, probably both in the same series.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I'm glad to see the full context. It's very common for these quotes to get pulled and passed around with none, lacking the sense of humor it was actually said with, so it seems like it's always better to wait for clarification like this before jumping to conclusions.

Would have been nice if the actual headline included the "this is how I stay motivated at 80" part though.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I already understood he was saying it in good fun before I saw the full message, but of course people will take almost any opportunity to brand actually respectable anime creators as old and out of touch, because that's what everyone's just like all the time.
ColdCase

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
hi, can someone please explain to me why tomino says giant robot shows are aimed at kids? sorry I am new to the whole mecha genre. thank you Very Happy
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ColdCase wrote:
hi, can someone please explain to me why tomino says giant robot shows are aimed at kids? sorry I am new to the whole mecha genre. thank you Very Happy

Although of course this has fluctuated over time (it's been going on for roughly 50 years now), lots of giant robot shows are explicitly made to sell toys to children. This is one of the reasons why, for example, the original Gundam has its signature red, blue, and yellow color scheme: those primary colors pop, and make it more appealing for that audience. This includes a lot of stuff Tomino worked on.

Also, it's important to understand that Tomino comes from a place where in the past he's felt extremely stifled by the wants of toy companies. This was probably at its worst with Victory Gundam, where the constant demands from outside sent Tomino into a pretty bad spiral of depression, that he only really recovered from through working on Turn A Gundam. So he doesn't have a lot of nice things to say about the marketing side of mecha.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ColdCase wrote:
Basically, in the Tomino times and before him, the mecha series served as nothing but the marketing promotion tools for the toys and model kits (like Transformers), and closely tied up with the toy manufacturers, including the original Gundam — so yeah, the kids and teenagers were core auditory, which also affected the genre tropes — and Tomino doesn't have good words about it.

Of course, it grew out of this over time (mostly because of NGE success), and there were many mecha shows nowadays that go to all kinds of auditory.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
G-Reco indeed stands as quite the anomaly and I adore it for that. After decades of inadvertently profiting off of making war stories trying to be anti-war, he found a way to profit off of not an "anti-war" story, but rather an anti-"war story" TV show. Still anti-war but way more meta and scathing critique of the corporate machine he has been fueling all this time. Genuine brilliance, that Laughing

I'm excited to see what he comes up with next!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Masterpiece or trainwreck or WTF-fest, you can certainly never accuse Tomino of being boring. I'm genuinely glad he's still doing his thing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, he basically said he has to aim high for the top of the charts, namely those two, rather than saying it with malice. Which well...good on you for aiming high.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Crushing Eva is bit much, but I want you to crush KnY. Be sure to add the stuff Brain Powerd had in its iconic opening. It is sad Sunrise has slowly moved from that since the 90's and I want you to revitalize Japan by bringing it back.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Rebuild of Space Runway Ideon here we come. Well, that or Crossbone Gundam anime. Still, Tomino as you once said, "The old generation can't create the new era!"

You peaked with Turn-A Gundam. It was impressive peak and you should be proud of it. But you already made your peace with Gundam back in 1999, so you can't really replicate what Anno did to come to terms his creation and it's legacy. Ask for Demon Slayer....

Okay, maybe you can surpass it but you'll need a team of A list talent, a generous budget and someone as script editor to sand the million rough edges off your plot ideas and maybe rewrite a good quarter of your dialogue.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2