• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

• The dark-haired young woman in the imperial box is probably meant to be Octavia, Nero's wife and, technically, step-sister. (And first cousin to his mother, IIRC - it gets messy.)
• The elder Demetrius is probably based very loosely on Sextus Afrianus Burrus, a prefect of the Praetorian Guard who was one of Nero's two chief advisors. (The original wasn't Greek or ever a gladiator.)

Thank you! I was wondering about those two - I kind of guessed Octavia, but I was at a loss on Demetrius the Elder. Sextus Afrianus Burrus makes a lot of sense as an inspiration.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to hear Osamake has meh animation. When I read the manga, the art style and silly expressions were really appealing, so seeing Doga Kobo as the animator made me think it'll be perfect for them (I think I even said about as much in one of the ANN threads). Hearing that it's stilted and lacking the charm of their other stuff is pretty sad to hear. (Not that I plan on watching the anime anyway, but I was expecting more...)

In terms of other shows, I'm not watching much.

Shadows House - I'm a fan of the manga so I'll be watching this. The first episode set up the atmosphere really well and the music was good, especially the choice for instrumental OP. I feel the animation could be nicer but I guess the series is a lot of talking anyway... I'm looking forward to the rest of the characters getting introduced (especially John)

Pretty Boy Detective Club - I haven't watched a full on SHAFT show in a while so it was refreshing to see one again. The visuals are absolutely perfect for the series and I love Sotoin's VA's delivery. I've only read the first book, gotta go order more!

Fairy Ranmaru - Don't know if I'll continue this one. I'm not sure if I spoiled myself from reading the reviews or if my threshold for weirdness is too high but I didn't find it as bizarre as everyone else seemed to (though the insert song surprised me). I think I found Cute High Earth funnier.

Blue Reflection Ray - It was Ok. I liked the art and the visual effects during the stopped time were really nice. But it was pretty slow... I haven't played the game (despite wanting to ever since it came out...but it didn't get released on Playstation Store in Australia Sad ) I might watch another episode but I won't be rushing to do so.

Tokyo Revengers - I'm a fan of the manga and the first episode reminded me of what I really enjoyed about it (as opposed to the power of friends battles it devolved into later...). Was very fun seeing everyone animated.

I'll watch Zombie Land Saga Revenge at some point, and I'd like to check out Odd Taxi.
Also might try Vivy and Joran.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Key wrote:

• The dark-haired young woman in the imperial box is probably meant to be Octavia, Nero's wife and, technically, step-sister. (And first cousin to his mother, IIRC - it gets messy.)
• The elder Demetrius is probably based very loosely on Sextus Afrianus Burrus, a prefect of the Praetorian Guard who was one of Nero's two chief advisors. (The original wasn't Greek or ever a gladiator.)

Thank you! I was wondering about those two - I kind of guessed Octavia, but I was at a loss on Demetrius the Elder. Sextus Afrianus Burrus makes a lot of sense as an inspiration.

Afrianus burrus does appear later in the manga, so I think Demetrius is just a new character for the story.

Anyway, I thought the first episode was okay. But it makes me wonder why there is any 3DCG in it when both regular and fight scenes get animated in 2D.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I found the fanservice levels of Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! basically the same level as the original TV series, and much less than the original OVA. And the weirdness...also about the same levels, without giving any spoilers to how the TV series shook out in the end. Which makes me that much more interested in this series, as I want to see what it does with said weirdness.

The only other series I'm watching this season is Joran which I'm also really enjoying in terms of "I want to see where this ends up", especially after the where the plot went in episode 3.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Key, will someone review weekly episodes of Boruto again like before? Because there's no weekly reviews of Boruto on ANN for three months and Boruto is not included on Choose Your Daily Streaming Reviews:Spring 2021.

At this point it seems unlikely as we didn't have anyone else on staff following the show week to week.

Seems that weekly reviews of Boruto in ANN is permanently stoped because your staff probably lost interest of Boruto. It's a pity that you and your staff missed of new character Kawaki in Boruto anime.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
We all know about Roman gladiators in ancient Rome, battling each other or wild animals with various weapons in fights to the death.

Which is an unfortunate bit of misinformation that the entertainment industry has continued to push. Roman gladiators were trained to be entertaining while avoiding giving any long-term injury to their opponents, with their ranks essentially based on their popularity as celebrities. Actual deaths were rare and typically undesirable (also, many gladiators weren't even slaves). It was basically modern pro wrestling but with more blood. Note the Romans considered the Greeks' Olympic games to be barbaric.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
Oh, so the poll is already up... although I think if my fave gets reviewed it won't be from popular vote.

Finally watched TWEWY and well... visually it's great but it feels extremely rushed, like a summary, so nothing gets the emotional punch or the room to breathe it needs. It's always moving from one point to the next as quickly as it can.

The second episode of Super Cub got a bit annoying with the advertisement. Once again flaunting the user manual for... holding a helmet, but worse than that was the new character, only talking about how great Super Cubs are, how glad she is to have a friend with a Super Cub, how much her Super Cub cost, how much freedom Super Cub lets her have, let's have lunch sitting on our Super Cubs! I hope they dial it down later because this could ruin the entire series.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
I realise the ancient Romans weren’t always known for their frugality, but spoiler[shooting every second slave in the back with a bunch of crossbow bolts] when you don’t even have an audience present is just bad business sense.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I realise the ancient Romans weren’t always known for their frugality, but spoiler[shooting every second slave in the back with a bunch of crossbow bolts] when you don’t even have an audience present is just bad business sense.

Pretty sure that was made up for dramatic purposes. As another poster mentioned, gladiatorial fights often weren't meant to be to the death even though combatants could die in them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:
worse than that was the new character, only talking about how great Super Cubs are, how glad she is to have a friend with a Super Cub, how much her Super Cub cost, how much freedom Super Cub lets her have, let's have lunch sitting on our Super Cubs!

That is a highly realistic portrayal of an enthusiast talking about their hobby to one of the few people who might understand. That is so not an advertisement, Reiko's Cub is a highly modified (with non Honda equipment) version of a model that can no longer be bought new. If Honda was behind this, they would be touting the latest model. I doubt Honda would have approved of the mention in the first episode about the used Cub being associated with three deaths. That is not something any motorcycle manufacturer wants you to think about.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If Honda was behind this, they would be touting the latest model. I doubt Honda would have approved of the mention in the first episode about the used Cub being associated with three deaths.

Depends on what you mean by "behind this." I don't know if they approached the writer to create the light novel, but several articles and the Encyclopedia say "Series Supervision: Honda Motor Company" for this anime. So they seem fairly involved, I'd say.

Companies don't like consumers thinking about rival companies either, yet Kawasaki, Suzuki, Ducati, Honda, and Yamaha all cooperated on Bakuon!!.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It's quite possible and pretty likely that Honda is one of the show's sponsors for Super Cub. It's a shame that we don't get to see the sponsor list like we would if we were watching this show on Japanese TV. I remember back in the day when my friends and I would go up to the Japanese shopping center near us and buy the tapes that were recorded directly from TV with the commercials intact. I remember seeing Evangelion that way with one of the sponsors being SEGA. I saw so many Japanese ads for the SEGA Saturn back in those days. Plus, I remember Asuka's friend Hikari having a SEGA Saturn in one of the episodes.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Pretty sure that was made up for dramatic purposes. As another poster mentioned, gladiatorial fights often weren't meant to be to the death even though combatants could die in them.

Yeah, that’s why it annoyed me. Plenty of ways to set up a similarly dramatic consequence for the losers that’s less implausible.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Super Cub

Real quick for yall....
Motorcycle - Has chain or shaft drive, manual transmission, frame mounted engine.
Scooter - Belt drive or chain drive, cvt automatic transmission, swing arm mounted engine.
Moped - Chain drive, has peddals like a bike, manual transmission, frame mount engIne.

The Honda Super Cub is a motorcycle, with a low step through frame mounted engine, and a clutchless manual transmission, with chain drive.
No peddals, not a moped.

Cubs are realy cool tho. That bike helped democratise transportation in post was asia and remaines the most produced and most common motorised vehicle in the world.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
isahackjob wrote:
Super Cub
Real quick for yall....
Motorcycle - Has chain or shaft drive, manual transmission, frame mounted engine.
Scooter - Belt drive or chain drive, cvt automatic transmission, swing arm mounted engine.
Moped - Chain drive, has peddals like a bike, manual transmission, frame mount engIne.

The Honda Super Cub is a motorcycle, with a low step through frame mounted engine, and a clutchless manual transmission, with chain drive.
No peddals, not a moped.

I understood some of the words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 25