• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga before but I really enjoyed the first two episodes of the anime! I love the aesthetic it has and how it keeps the feeling that something is wrong even in the early slice of life parts. Things like Emilico not knowing she needs to eat and the reaction the other doll had when she looked at her through the window. The scene with Sarah and Mia in episode 2 was the most intriguing since it introduced a lot of things that were never elaborated on and Emilico is actively avoiding thinking about. Really excited to see where it goes from here!
whatev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
One thing I have to say is that the OP and ED are both on point.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'll use a lot of soot in my posts, just in case my tone can give away any spoilers.

I was relieved to see that they aren't entirely omitting inner monologues, this is very important going forward (for anyone whose thoughts and feelings can't be conveyed through facial expressions, really).
For anyone feeling bad for Kate at the start of the second episode, the first scene featuring Kate in both episodes 1 and 2 is actually the same scene in the manga spoiler[chapter 12 to be exact]

A couple things about the subs
-Why did they translate Pan-chan as Rolly? I understand how it relates but if we didn't know better I wouldn't think it's because of "bread" so quickly.
-They sure repeated that "don't fret over trivial things" line a few times spoiler[personally I'd be more literal and use "think" instead of "fret"]

There are a couple more noteworthy things but I'll save them in case they get re-adapted or contextualized later.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote
As the anime progresses deeper into the manga,keep the first two minutes of episode firmly in mind- they've manged to animate quite a bit of the story within that short amount of time.
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy with the first two episodes! It's a bit of a shame that it's gone a bit unnoticed, but I hope with time more people will check it out!
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
12 chapters in two episodes, huh. Personally, I would like if the anime ended in chapter 79, but now I’m worried that we may either end sooner or see a lot of things cut out to reach that point. It may sound fine at first glance, since 6 chapters per episode in a 13 episodes cour = 78 chapters, but remember that so far we are still in Slice-Of-Life territory. Once the plot gets going, it may be hard to keep this pacing without any cuts, especially for the more exposition heavy chapters.

Well, let’s wait and see.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
12 chapters in two episodes, huh. Personally, I would like if the anime ended in chapter 79, but now I’m worried that we may either end sooner or see a lot of things cut out to reach that point. It may sound fine at first glance, since 6 chapters per episode in a 13 episodes cour = 78 chapters, but remember that so far we are still in Slice-Of-Life territory. Once the plot gets going, it may be hard to keep this pacing without any cuts, especially for the more exposition heavy chapters.

Well, let’s wait and see.

I assume it's because there's a lot to establish, and the first few chapters are pretty minimal on content. It should slow down once the main group are introduced.

I was thinking it'd end around after the debut test but I guess it depends on how much they want to tease a second season.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I assume it's because there's a lot to establish, and the first few chapters are pretty minimal on content. It should slow down once the main group are introduced.

I was thinking it'd end around after the debut test but I guess it depends on how much they want to tease a second season.

That is far too early, they'd need like 4 episodes worth of filler minimum.
My bet is on that scene hinted at in the ED. It's a shame because there isn't any actual climax in there but they'd need to rush like hell to adapt what comes after.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
harminia wrote:

That is far too early, they'd need like 4 episodes worth of filler minimum.
My bet is on that scene hinted at in the ED. It's a shame because there isn't any actual climax in there but they'd need to rush like hell to adapt what comes after.

Just thinking of who has been shown, there doesn't seem to be a lot of the later characters.
I guess ending it after spoiler[the maryrose/rosemary incident] may be good.

I think I'm blind or just super forgetful so I don't know which scene you mean. (I'm planning on rereading the manga to refresh my memory on stuff but haven't had time yet).
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
I was a bit skeptical with episode one until the end when we see another living doll and we saw her expression. Then episode two was really interesting, some awesome stuff here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
Rebecca, your reviews are so good! I hope this series references other fairytales just so we can absorb more of your knowledge of them!

This story is so creepy, spooky and very stylish. I’m following 3 historical horror-tinged supernatural dramas this season: Mars Red, Joran and Shadows House, and somehow Shadows House holds it’s own in creepy horror without any blood being drawn.
The OP and ED are fantastic. I’m really curious about and looking forward to meeting all the other “living dolls,” especially the boys (so many supernatural series only have girls or only have boys—I’m counting magical girls horror like Madoka Magica here—that it’s interesting to see a co-ed cast).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Rebecca, your reviews are so good! I hope this series references other fairytales just so we can absorb more of your knowledge of them!

Very Happy Embarassed Thank you! "The Shadow" is up there with "The Snow Queen" for my favorite of Andersen's literary fairy tales. They're creepy without the cruelty and moralizing of pieces like "The Little Match Girl" or "The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf," which I think is a good way to look at Shadows House so far, too.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, what to say, what to say... other than "Emilyko is precious". Pan-chan's sounds were also cute.
Poor Lou, the anime's oversimplified style is making her hair look like an octopus Sad At least she got to be funny.
The anime's end point seems to be what I guessed last time, at this pace it matches 1:1. Which is good because it's a good pace but a bit of a shame because the full characterization of many characters happens right after that. spoiler[Louise specially might be misunderstood.]

A couple of things to maybe pay attention to:
-What they said re:closed-off areas
-It sure was weird how long that bath is, huh?
-The dressing room after the bath
-There's something bugging me about the previous episode but the relevant event might not happen until spoiler[episode 5] so I'll hold on to it
-Also, the previous episode skipped chapter 9. It was mostly cute fluff although it included one bit of information that might be important for some.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review of episode 3, thank you for your insight and interpretation.
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
Shadows House showed why some people consider it horror! It certainly has some strong horror elements! I'm looking forward to meeting the remaining cast soon. I really like them and their relationships.
I do wonder where this season will end. After the debut would be a good stopping point. I have the feeling they will go a bit beyond tho. It would be difficult to reach the next good stopping point, however...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10