• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
She needs goggles or a face shield for her helmet. Back in the mid 1960s I had a Honda 50 (the US version of the Super Cub). One of the first things I found out was that when the speed got up above 30mph (on a good day it might make 40 or 45) that the wind pressure on your eyes became painful.
pixelatedlenses
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
I have had the passive thought, "I wonder if she needs eye drops?" at least once while watching, haha. I've also thought, "She should wear a mask so she doesn't accidentally eat a bug." too though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Has she even gone over 20 kph yet (~12 mph)? I'm pretty sure she hasn't hit 30 (~18 mph). Babby steps. Very Happy
pixelatedlenses
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I live for the day that Koguma puts the pedal to the metal and just goes roaring through Hokuto City on her Super Cub Laughing
Nojay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Has she even gone over 20 kph yet (~12 mph)? I'm pretty sure she hasn't hit 30 (~18 mph).

Koguma (literally, 'bear cub') gets up to 30km/h in the OP. She's also put a thousand kilometres on the odometer by that point. Top speed, downhill with a following wind is probably about 45km/h.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
From the Wikipedia article on the Super Cub:
Quote:
The pushrod overhead valve (OHV) air-cooled four-stroke single cylinder engine had a 40-by-39-millimetre (1.6 in × 1.5 in) bore × stroke, displacing 49 cubic centimetres (3.0 cu in), and could produce 3.4 kilowatts (4.5 hp) at 9,500 rpm, for maximum speed of 69 km/h (43 mph), under favorable conditions

That is consistent with my memory. I think I got the speedometer up to 45 mph on a long down hill a couple of times. And yes, it was a bit scary at that speed. Regardless, it was real easy to get fast enough to cause tears and later dry eyes. Also, the eye socket acts like a funnel collecting dust and the stray bug or two.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The moment they went to the library to use google because they couldn't do it from their phones, my back started hurting.

Alan45 wrote:
She needs goggles or a face shield for her helmet. Back in the mid 1960s I had a Honda 50 (the US version of the Super Cub). One of the first things I found out was that when the speed got up above 30mph (on a good day it might make 40 or 45) that the wind pressure on your eyes became painful.

Well, what do you know... Laughing
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the rarest type of anime. It's also one of the most realistic slice of life anime where everybody are black haired just like their real life Japanese counterpart. As expected on a realistic slice of life anime, the character design is kinda lacks diversity it's like how every male protagonists from mainstream anime or manga are designed.

This anime also triggers my curiosity about motorcycle just like Bakuon but not enough for me to buy a real one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Well, what do you know... Laughing

That's why I said "babby steps." Smile She didn't have anything before because she didn't need it. She still hadn't dared to go even 15 mph, which is a nice breeze. Once she actually pushed it over 20, she realized it would be a problem.

I would buy a motorcycle in a heartbeat (maybe something bigger than a Cub) but it would just get stolen like every bicycle I've ever had.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought it more obvious in episode 3 that Reiko is a bit of dork, who really gets carried away on the topic of bikes, and almost forgets what she is meant to be doing, getting distracted multiple times when looking for what Koguma needs when shopping. I think it goes a bit to show that they are not quite friends yet, but why this more socially adept girl would latch onto one who is much more socially troubled.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Small brain: they're my nakama!

Galaxy brain: they're a fellow cub rider!
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
What I would like to know more about that the show won't cover because it's probably common knowledge in Japan is how Koguma's living situation works? Does a social worker check up on her? Is she getting a allowance from the government? etc.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The cub aspect is starting to get really weird. What was that "I can fully trust the word of a fellow cub rider" and "I got nothing but at least I have a cub". Jesus did she join a cult or something? Random people just give them stuff just because they ride cub and the old guy didn't even think about selling the old cub for part, he's just giving it away. Also it's pretty weird that they keep bringing up that she has no money while at the same time the show is about riding moped as a hobby, which is pretty darn expensive for a high school student who doesn't work.

Still not sold on the friendship, can you imagine hanging out with someone who would never talk about anything not related to his hobby and who only eat when in close proximity to said hobby?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
The guy was selling it for parts, which is why he wouldn't give her the frame. I think he gave her the box because she's a good customer and he likes her (and she maybe brings him some other business with her enthusiasm and being a cute high school girl). And she paid him in snacks anyway.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also it's pretty weird that they keep bringing up that she has no money while at the same time the show is about riding moped as a hobby, which is pretty darn expensive for a high school student who doesn't work.

It appears the Super Cub (at least, in its current iteration) only has a one gallon gas tank, but can travel about 100 miles on one fill. So it's very efficient, and thus not at all expensive to run. And accessorizing can be pretty cheap too if you settle for used parts or improvisation, as seen in the latest episode. It is a step up from a bicycle, but since she got lucky on the upfront cost of buying it, it doesn't seem very expensive going forward. At least until she hits a maintenance milestone, but that is still likely to be cheaper than a car.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13