• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ok, so "the power of decay as an extant form of life"? I still don't know what that means. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry. I'll just go look it up.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
I think it's probably a florid reference to the mushroom girl? Fungi being an 'extant form of life' that feed on dead organisms through the 'power of decay'. Maybe a little too flowery a phrase for its own good, but that's how I'd unpack it Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I like when characters are smart, I don't need every encounter to be Light vs L, just the characters making basic plans with the information they have at hand it's enough.

A normal problem shounen manga used to have was that, normally, the characters used to win bulldozing their way with power, I appreciate how modern ones use more common sense to solve problems, this chapter was a good example.

By the way, anybody else noticed that during the ending song the students are seen buying stuff they like on their life sheets that appear before comercial breaks?

Tokoyami is buying apples, Bakugo hot sauce, Aoyama cheese and so on.

And kudos to the guy who named the magazine Mineta is buying as "HERO" but with the girl between the "H" and "E", the triple pun of "H-ERO" its quite impressive for something as menial.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Kabuby 77 wrote:
We all love the fights in these series, but this fight between class a and b seems to me an excuse to fill in and do some recap.

To be honest this was my main issue with this arc in the manga. It feels like it only exists to flesh out 1-B. Don't get me wrong that's important but it also would have made more sense to do that during the sports festival arc.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Kabuby 77 wrote:
We all love the fights in these series, but this fight between class a and b seems to me an excuse to fill in and do some recap.

To be honest this was my main issue with this arc in the manga. It feels like it only exists to flesh out 1-B. Don't get me wrong that's important but it also would have made more sense to do that during the sports festival arc.

That would've dragged out that arc even more while it was already trying to give focus to Todoroki and Ochaco.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
The problem with this arc was that the autor was sick and couldn't work properly, I suppose some people don't remember, but "Hero too" scene was not finished when that chapter was originally published and it was just a bunch of sketches.

He was still recovering during this arc, some chapters were 15 pages long thus, it felt it lasted more than it should and the heroaca fanbase is used to fast arcs.

I never had a problem with it since I liked to see more characters.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I like this series a lot, but man, this last episode was full of recaps of previous episodes (and, most egregious, recap for this very same episode, before the break).

The pace has slowed down a lot since season 4, guess they don't want to catch up with the manga just yet.

Last edited by RGaspar on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
I like this series a lot, but man, this last chapter was full of recaps of previous episodes (and, most egregious, recap for this very same chapter, before the break).

The pace has slowed down a lot since season 4, guess they don't want to catch up with the manga just yet.

I think that they basically have to end this season at a particular point. And this arc is all fights, and they generally don’t take that long to adapt. If I’m right, we’ll be covering this arc, another more lengthy one, and then a small arc to finish the season off. And the only way to make it fit right is to slow down the pacing a bit in this arc. Which I think is fine since it’s an arc that focuses a lot on character interactions anyway
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
i enjoyed the way that camera angles showed off the frantic pace of Vantadark's shadow movements. That is fun to watch.

Also, it seems like the number of pervy camera angles has increased significantly. I know it's odd to notice things like that if there isn't pervy intent, but I am only noticing it with characters of a certain gender.
James S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode was great. I loved how they managed to get all the angles to show off Kuroiro's movements through the large multitude of pipes, and the animation (during the fight) was great which is the most important part I guess.

On to Vantablack, seeing Vantadark appear out of nowhere with Kuroiri's quirk being changed from black to dark reminded me of a bunch of conversations I had with a Filipino friend of mine. When he first came to America, he in his ignorance, was taught by the locals at his school that it was racist to say black and to just say dark instead. Fast forward 10 years, and I'm repeatedly telling him that saying the word black isn't racist, but purposely censoring it with the word dark is. You would think that I as a black person would know what I'm talking about, but he'd insist that it was racist to say black at all and it eventually devolved into an inside joke between us.

The point is, I felt like someone was purposely censoring the subtitles for some self contrived reason on what they believed is racist and it irritates me. Screw Kapoor and his nonsense if it was just Vantablack being changed to Vantadark, but they changed Black to Dark as well despite the fact that you can clearly hear what's supposed to be said. The only other moment of the anime that's near the irritation I felt is Mirio's Phantom Menace being changed to Phantom Threat and that gets a pass only because everyone knows Disney will murder you if you don't fold to their whims.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tsuyu and Mina are down.

Who is the next one to get a hi-def booty shot?

Make your bets folks!

My money is on Kendo.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
it was yaomomos oppais whose shot we got, thanks.

when reading the manga i aslo found this arc to be a drag, anime is slightly better, thankfully, this is the last arc of mha, the series will end and we will jump right into the sequel series spoiler[mva] which is easily the better series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, besides seeing the terror of Kinoko, this episode was definitely a lower one, though that's still better than most.

Quote:
Special Skills: Kirishima Echo Fighter
Laughing Laughing
Bexarath

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
So far this season has me rather bored. Besides the obnoxious padding with constant flashbacks (often in the same episode) there aren't any actual stakes. It doesn't really matter who wins, since it's just a training match anyway. This whole arc could have been 4 episodes or less.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people seem to think Kinoko is so great. I can't help but wonder how she even got into the school in the first place, as their entrance test was against robots?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 81