• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World Ends with You the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
So I have been replaying week 1, since I was curious just how much information was really being cut.

So honestly and I find this hard to believe...
But the anime is actually adding almost as much stuff as it has subtracted so far, that doesn't make sense to remove for an anime in compression to the game.

So why does the anime feel so rushed. Personally I am going to put that down to the anime basically being forced to do days 1-3 in episode 1, and as a result not having enough time for the infamous choking scene and it's fall out.
Personally I think that all the time that you spend actually playing the game in between all the story cutscenes, letting you absorb the info before going to the next piece of info.

The game has a metric ton of depth to it, but the actual story is actually extremely small for week 1 at least, SO it does make a lot of sense why the anime is actually doing what it has been.

I am going to guess that we are going to getspoiler[ 6 episodes for week 2 and 4 episodes for week 3.]

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The scene where Shiki said that Neku matured was cringe at it's finest next the boat comment from Dragon Ball Super. It's barely episode 3 and the writers are shoving us Neku's development with little to no knowledge about his roots
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I've never played the game and my overall feeling so far is that the plot is starting to get interesting but the characters are not doing it for me. The only one that felt interesting and sympathetic was Shiki, i thought her story was unique and touching but well.... that's that. Also, not a problem exclusive to this show but i just find it hilarious how many emotional crises can get resolved by just telling a person "you're alright the way you are" and "you are you".

I've found Neku to be insufferable at worst, simply boring at best. Are Beat and Rhyme gonna show up again later? If that was all we were gonna see of them then this adaptation has really fallen flat in the character department :/. The battles also haven't been particularly exciting so far, both visually and in terms of strategy and mechanics. In a less packed season i'd be more inclined to keep watching but right now i'm probably gonna drop it depending on how episode 4 goes
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes the plot for twewy is only just now going to get started in the second week.

So there was supposed to be a thing with beat at the end of the episode but I guess they are rightfully moving it to another episode so it can be a surprise. Beat and even ryme are still important to the story that will be told.

Neku is a lot worse in the game at the start but a lot of that is because we see what he is thinking. And is actually responsible and chooses to hurt shiki unlike in the anime. So in game when she says he has improved it actually sounds like a reasonable response for her to make along with other valid points as to why it doesn't make sense for her to be chosen.

I am guessing that a lot of that heavy lifting for nekus arc is getting focused on in week 2, since it does actually work there. It also doesn't hurt week 2 introduces 2 of the most popular characters in the game.

Twewys characters are off putting when you first meet them, even shiki is to some degree. However in the game atleast the series knows that and forces them to confront that just like it did with shiki in episode 2
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
They showed the ability to shop this week, so I wonder if we will actually get to see some usage of different pins and gear in the next episode
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I am still rather surprised that this week is going as fast in the episode count as it has been.

I do agree with the idea that week 2 has been working a lot better as an adaptation then week 1 did.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Week 1 was a pretty introductory arc, so if you rush through it you get a pretty broken introduction which is what happened here.
For this episode, it also helps that they've done away with the rigid mission-per-day structure since that makes everything more lively and unpredictable by default.
It was cool remembering a lot of this stuff but... the app thing bugged me. Didn't they use flip phones back then? Although you could also make stuff for them... and since it was something so out of the ordinary there was an additional air of credibility and mistique to the program behaving strangely lol
And for once, the unraveling mysteries and memories hit better than any other emotional moment before.

Hanekoma and Joshua (that name...) saying what they can and can't do... I wonder if the anime will get into the more Nomura-esque (and ultimately pointless) explanations about planes, phases and frequencies.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm an anime-only and this title is my Biggest Surprise of the Season. I didn't really have much expectation other than "haven't played the game but this looks like fun!" and every week I'm really enjoying it! Every episode is over before I know it which is more than I can say for some other series this season. Really fun and more serious than you might imagine but that's a good thing. I'd rather have that than a "serious" show that is brought down by lame "comedy" (*cough* Mashiro no oto *cough*).
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that the entire soundtrack is great, not just opening and ending. At first I felt disappointed that they did not use more of the game's soundtrack, but what they used instead is nice too and really fits the scenes.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I admit my memory of this game is hazy at best, but isn't this pretty much near the end already? Although the original game had some weird extra chapters so there might be something to it.
But certainly, it would be a shame if that first arc were so bad because they wanted to cram the Switch extra chapter or something.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I admit my memory of this game is hazy at best, but isn't this pretty much near the end already? Although the original game had some weird extra chapters so there might be something to it.
But certainly, it would be a shame if that first arc were so bad because they wanted to cram the Switch extra chapter or something.

The bonus day at the end of the original game was non-canon, so I don't think that will be covered. I think what happens at the end of the original game is substantial enough to require a whole episode, and what leads up to that could be covered in the next episode. That could leave room for one episode for the Switch extra content. But I haven't seen that content myself, so I don't know if it could fit in one episode. I guess if they do that, then yeah, bummer to the first week since it could have used one more episode.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

The bonus day at the end of the original game was non-canon, so I don't think that will be covered. I think what happens at the end of the original game is substantial enough to require a whole episode, and what leads up to that could be covered in the next episode. That could leave room for one episode for the Switch extra content. But I haven't seen that content myself, so I don't know if it could fit in one episode. I guess if they do that, then yeah, bummer to the first week since it could have used one more episode.

The new content in the switch remaster could be adapted into one episode. There is only one significant, new character and one major boos fight.
I think it has to be adapted because it's canon (you can see it's effect in the trailers for the new game).

About the first arc: It's a shame but a lot of the content in the first arc was tutorials so as much as I like Shiki, Week 1 is the week I would pick to adapt in as few episodes as possible.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
If they adapt the new day from at the end of the switch port, I am actually going to be mad about it. that content is actually pretty terrible, Like I get that they want to promote neo TWEWY but the content that is used to try and bridge the releases is more a middle finger then anything. the new girl is actually very annonying/grating with no redeeming qualities.

Maybe I am just still super annonyed about the switch port and it's marketing in particular was heinous.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
That infodump right at the end between Hanekoma and Joshua, that what the "extra day" post-game was about,w asn't it? I remember much talk about angels, phase planes and the Composer's plan.
On that note - all of that about Joshua wanting to find "the Composer" is because he wanted to beat Kitaniji's ass as a player to win his bet against him, right?

The back half of the series has been very good. Too bad about that extremely bad beginning. Production should have pushed for 13, or even the very rare 14 episodes. Just having that much longer would have worked miracles for the first arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2