• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:27 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I couldn't help comparing this fight with the wolf vs giant walrus fight in Wolf's Rain, and frankly, Wolf's Rain won.

Me too. Some parts felt like they'd lifted the storyboards, if not the original cells, straight from WR and just redrew the walrus as a bear. But then, when the white wolf first showed up in Ep 1, my immediate response was, "Hey, Kiba!"

Is it just me or does The Thing seem smarter as a wolf than it does as a human? As a wolf, it appears to act and observe with thoughtful intelligence (and can speak!) while as a human, its actions seem vacant at best, and panda-stupid at worst. No wonder it reverted to its wolf form to fight. I'm not saying I expect it to act with human intelligence just because its in a humanoid body, but it should be at least as sharp as it was as a canine.

meiam wrote:
When Fushi went into the fort, did no one noticed him until he was already in it, despite him coming in the same way they were leaving?

Her attendants both noticed, but it was weird that she didn't, since he nearly bumped shoulders with her when he walked by. It didn't seem to register with her until they were closing the gate.

Also, how come his wolf form doesn't have either rope any more? (I know, I'm really fixated on those)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, how come his wolf form doesn't have either rope any more? (I know, I'm really fixated on those)

The orb instinctively copies every aspect of an object.
So sans what folks give it to wear(only one of those ropes was real)."clothing" we see it "wearing" is part of it.
During this episode "Fushi" learned that it does not need the ropes as a wolf.
So the real one was discarded and the another transformed.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote
When/how did it learn that? It had ropes both as a wolf and as a boy. It had never been without them, except when it first became a wolf. If it learned from that, then it would've known it didn't need them as a boy either.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As far as killing when they don't believe in him, its pretty similar to people who don't believe in Christ but celebrate Christmas, it's a tradition they're just following. It's not like they sacrifice their own and it keep weaker tribe in line.

But nobody actually commits human sacrifice at Christmas. I was trying to make the point that as religious rituals become "tradition" without any particular faith behind them, they tend to become more symbolic than literal. But these people actually go through with the whole thing, from the ritual of selecting the sacrifice to the whole ordeal of carriage, making her look pretty, creating this beautiful altar for her, etc., and then they leave the sacrifice there to just, die of starvation I guess? Even though they clearly don't think there's any point, and not only these particular people, but the whole tribe. It makes no sense. If they want to exercise power over the other tribe they could just show up with a military force or use other kinds of pressure, as it usually happens. - Yes, I know this is basically nitpicking, but it bothers me because it's an example of small details that bring the whole experience down. There's this two-parter story built around a plot point with a flaw that I'm kind of expected to just handwave away.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:
I couldn't help comparing this fight with the wolf vs giant walrus fight in Wolf's Rain, and frankly, Wolf's Rain won.

Me too. Some parts felt like they'd lifted the storyboards, if not the original cells, straight from WR and just redrew the walrus as a bear. But then, when the white wolf first showed up in Ep 1, my immediate response was, "Hey, Kiba!"

Right? Glad to know I'm not the only one! I mean, personally I didn't immediately associate the white wolf with Kiba in episode 1 because the designs looked different enough. But in this episode I was getting major Wolf's Rain vibes, from specific shots to specific animation segments. I actually planned to take out my copy of Wolf's Rain to compare, then I got lazy, but I wonder what the result of such a comparison would be.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Even though they clearly don't think there's any point, and not only these particular people, but the whole tribe. It makes no sense.

Except you arne't because you're stills tuck with these people and this faitless domineering city. If it weren't important they wouldn't have mentioned it several times.

And if there's any lesson that king and emperors can impart, it's that religion is the most useful tool to keep peace and power. Many kingdoms and empires have changed the state religion to whatever is more convenient to them at the moment. As long at the serf villages DO believe that Oniguma exists and that the sacrifices appease it, then it's to Yanome's benefit to keep the tradition up as overseers.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Except you arne't because you're stills tuck with these people and this faitless domineering city. If it weren't important they wouldn't have mentioned it several times.

And if there's any lesson that king and emperors can impart, it's that religion is the most useful tool to keep peace and power. Many kingdoms and empires have changed the state religion to whatever is more convenient to them at the moment. As long at the serf villages DO believe that Oniguma exists and that the sacrifices appease it, then it's to Yanome's benefit to keep the tradition up as overseers.

You're missing the point I'm trying to make, but I'm tired of explaining it over and over. My point stands from my POV, but if you didn't feel anything amiss that's fine too.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When/how did it learn that? It had ropes both as a wolf and as a boy. It had never been without them, except when it first became a wolf. If it learned from that, then it would've known it didn't need them as a boy either.

As pointed out in episode 2,the orb learns.In episode 3 the orb made a "small evolution"- the ability to reason.

The real rope,the leash the boy put around the "wolf" 's neck, well a giant polar bear bit the "boy"'s head off,so that rope is gone.
The boy had a rope tied to his arm,the orb copied that rope,as it copied the boy's clothing.When the orb transformed into it's wolf form for a second time, that rope was reabsorbed/transformed.
So,once the orb transforms back into the boy's form, let's see if that rope comes back(it will).
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
Your mention of re-reading The Dark Tower and the feelings you're re-living watching this anime makes me want to re-read Clive Barker's Weaveworld. I was into his work back in the 80's and miss that horror/fantasy world building. Tempting, tempting...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Neat detail when they took off Fushi's clothes: they were attached to the body with skin-like tendrils. Fortunately they didn't seem to be hard or painful to remove.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Neat detail when they took off Fushi's clothes: they were attached to the body with skin-like tendrils. Fortunately they didn't seem to be hard or painful to remove.

I noticed that! It was also interesting that they didn't just reform as you'd expect. I wonder if the clothes, as well as the spears he made, like, keep that consistency/form or rot like meat would? Reminds me a bit of FMA's alchemy(and Fushi is a bit like Hoenheim/Father, body-wise).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
I noticed that! It was also interesting that they didn't just reform as you'd expect. I wonder if the clothes, as well as the spears he made, like, keep that consistency/form or rot like meat would? Reminds me a bit of FMA's alchemy(and Fushi is a bit like Hoenheim/Father, body-wise).

Well, they aren't actually made of meat so they shouldn't rot... but they aren't exactly normal clothes either, as we could see.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
So both ropes were back when it became the boy again. The thing with making the spear was interesting. It seemed like it used it not just as a weapon but like a remote probe, since it felt the man's pain when he was stabbed, and learned to connect pain with "It hurts."

I keep wondering about that rippling wave effect over its fur we keep seeing when it's the wolf. It feels like some sort of reset, but I really don't get what's happening.

I thought the bear was dead back at the altar stockade. I'm not sure if it's dead even now and The Thing will become the bear, or remote control the bear's corpse (the opened vessel?), or if they'll add another ally to March's tiny army. Smile
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So both ropes were back when it became the boy again. The thing with making the spear was interesting. It seemed like it used it not just as a weapon but like a remote probe, since it felt the man's pain when he was stabbed, and learned to connect pain with "It hurts."

I keep wondering about that rippling wave effect over its fur we keep seeing when it's the wolf. It feels like some sort of reset, but I really don't get what's happening.

I thought the bear was dead back at the altar stockade. I'm not sure if it's dead even now and The Thing will become the bear, or remote control the bear's corpse (the opened vessel?), or if they'll add another ally to March's tiny army. Smile

That's a new rope they put on the wolf.

The rippling effect is "stimulation", the narrator outirght states it lol

Oniguma wasn't dead for some reason, but it was upon saying its thanks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
The rippling effect is "stimulation", the narrator outirght states it lol

I took that to mean it got stimulation from the entire battle, not just two brief jolts, so I didn't connect them. And I still don't know what's happening that causes its fur to ripple in a wave from head to tail. I haven't noticed anything special in the moments just prior that would trigger the effect as opposed to general "stimulation" going on (it bit the bear twice and got zinged, but it bit the bear a lot more times and nothing happened), nor why it only seems to occur when it's in wolf form (I might've missed it happening in boy form).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

New stimuli/sensations -whether physical,emotional & etc- are the catalysts behind Fushi's shapeshiftng ability-The more intense the stimuli, the better Fushi can copy a being or thing/object. A caveat being that Fushi can not take on the form of a living being(that has a soul/spirit) until said being has passed on.

Upon Fushi shifting back to a previous form,that form's appearance is basically reset.As the real boy had a bloody bandage,a rope leash on his arm and was starving...every time Fushi shifts back into the boy we'll see that bloody bandage,that rope leash on his arm and Fushi will be very hungry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14