• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega Production Committee Apologizes for Usada Pekora Look

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tohsaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Cover didn't like it from the production committee's announcement. I'm surprised they care that much. Sure, it's unauthorized, but it's free advertisement for them.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. They're just having fun with it.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I think they would have gotten away if they removed the carrots from her hair.Otherwise she would look like a generic bunny girl.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well another proof that making popular-culture references in your work aren't as "flexible" as we think, despite how frequent anime love to throw a few references or cameo; and "free advertisement" argument seems futile as well.

I mean, if they remove the carrots inserted on her ponytails then we could argue it's any generic bunny girl, but with those on...
Drunk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
As of writing this comment the character is still in CR's simulcast.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
tohsaka wrote:
Sounds like Cover didn't like it from the production committee's announcement. I'm surprised they care that much. Sure, it's unauthorized, but it's free advertisement for them.

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed that Cover didn't just shrug it off. Although, from what I understand hololive had quite a bit of trouble early on with not getting permissions for rights holders that resulted in lots of videos being removed, so maybe now they feel like they have to be protective of their stuff too?

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Well another proof that making popular-culture references in your work aren't as "flexible" as we think, despite how frequent anime love to throw a few references or cameo; and "free advertisement" argument seems futile as well.

I mean, if they remove the carrots inserted on her ponytails then we could argue it's any generic bunny girl, but with those on...

A lot of those references and cameos will do things like apply mosaics over a character's face or bleep out the title, which seems to happen because they are that strict about it in Japan.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, they if removed the scarf and carrots in the braids it would just be another anime girl with bunny ears. Doesn't paint a pretty picture as far as Cover is concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised if folks start trying to sue each other over who made which girl + animal mashup first. Rolling Eyes
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

How many real people (actors, singers, pro wrestlers..) were thrown in Hokuto no Ken and nobody complained?
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
tohsaka wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed that Cover didn't just shrug it off. Although, from what I understand hololive had quite a bit of trouble early on with not getting permissions for rights holders that resulted in lots of videos being removed, so maybe now they feel like they have to be protective of their stuff too?

There has also been a lot of really odd situations with their automated banning system, which, as far as I could tell (I might be wrong) was what lead to Kiara getting her whole account banned because of a reaction to one of her own videos. Not really sure, though.

Quote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

A lot of those references and cameos will do things like apply mosaics over a character's face or bleep out the title, which seems to happen because they are that strict about it in Japan.

The weirdest occurence of this that I've seen is when the Girls und Panzer short OAV series did a parody of the Monty Python spam skit. I didn't notice at first since the English dub version plays it completely straight, but when I wanted to hear what it sounded like in Japanese, they basically dot-censored the word "spam". Each time the word was spoken, it would be partially bleeped, and the subtitles were basically reading like "sp*m, sp*m, sp*m, sp*m, sp*m, sp*m, sp*m...."
Gray.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
What about Malty on episode 1 and 4?
Also, i swear i saw Raphtalia in that orgy on episode 3.
Mad
Rogural

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprising in a sense. Cover has been blindsided by permissions before, having to take down over 70% of their old video archives momentarily, and even when things get worked out, some of those videos just don't come back. So I could see them being rigid over someone else doing this to their properties without explicit notified permission.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Geez, what an overblown reaction to a normal random cameo. With owners this zealous SHAFT would have been banrupted in legal fees long before they got to make Bakemonogatari.

Gotta love copyright!
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Gray. wrote:
Mad

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Excuse me?
Gray.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Gray. wrote:
Mad

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Excuse me?

This dude clearly looks like Malty: https://imgur.com/kx6rkl5
And this girl looks like Raphtalia: https://imgur.com/hXUifBg
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Even if it were just to make a reference (and not like plagiarism or something), I don’t think it’s unreasonable that one wouldn’t want to be associated with a show in that way, especially without asking them first. Let’s say, for example, it was some controversial show, like Redo of Healer, that had put them in instead of this show. I don’t think anyone would begrudge them for telling them to keep their talents out of that kind of show. While this show of course isn’t like that, there are certainly elements that a company may not want to be associated with, especially when they weren’t consulted first.

They may also not be inclined to give a show free advertising by them sticking their character into the show, especially not when they weren’t asked beforehand. Not only would you have many of her 1 million+ subscribers coming to check out the anime, but also those who may not subscribe to her channel but are familiar enough that they might check something out with her in it, not to mention the free press from the articles on the subject, especially on a popular trend like vtubers, which are big enough that companies like Netflix are getting in on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3