• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Dive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

As a gamer myself, that's one of the show's points I don't question. It's not how much money you put into, it's more a deal of getting at least something out of it, not because you bought it but because otherwise it's there, mocking you.

As a fellow gamer I can certainly understand the idea of trying to make the most of a impulse buy, but I'd have given up around the time people started stoning me, no matter how hot Reona is.

Quote:

But, or maybe however, I don't know, here they are a lot more malicious. They are permanent, they are etched on your hard drive just a surely they're etched upon your heart. These titles show that all paths have thought behind them so if not logic then there's at least preconceived pathing.

Yeah, this game gives off the vibe that it hates gamers.

Quote:
It's a bad game, maybe, but it's not a bad game design.

I think it's a horrible game design because it's trying to be something it really shouldn't be. The problem isn't the realism, that wouldn't be an issue if the game focused on being a life simulator like the Sims. There's definitely be a market for that. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the few people playing are actually doing, like Ginji.

Instead the game is trying to be a RPG, but it's delights in screwing the player over when they try to play it that way.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
Ep4- Well, I have to applaud the writer for creating a quasi-believable motivation why Hiro would rejoin the action in the game! And it didn't take him being brain-dead, though thinking with his pants a little maybe (but I don't blame him too much). However, the fact that it is game store Kisuragi that Reona is the clerk for and having watched Otherside Picnic I have to wonder if there will be a sinister twist behind her affections...

Also @MiloTheFirst I think you are on to something! This show may indeed be better than it seems if you don't think about what is being presented...
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well the show has sated my curiosity on his motivations. And since I dont like the characters I can be satisfied on dropping the show now. Ill just read the reviews from here on out. I wish the MC was more complicated then a fallen apart pride into angst and a pathetic personality. Oh well there is nothing left of interest for me.
k2m2daryl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to see how this series will play off its comedy with realism as it's theme. 1st ep got me interested but 2nd and 3rd ep was kinda.... mediocre? Hard to sum it up in 1 to 2 words.

I kinda get that it would take a bit more time before quiting a bad game. Trying things out yourself, trying to find at least one enjoyable aspect with a few runs before completely giving up is something anyone can relate to. But seriously not researching or reading any reviews after your first or second horrible playthrough? I dunno man, the MC is more than just a simp at this point.

What got me disappointed the most is in ep 4, when the MC wanted to quit and return the game. I know this is supposed to be comedy with a satire take on the genre but with a sudden serious decision that he should've done earlier, I was hoping the reason for him continuing was something that'd be very convincing like a well planned scam or something. Guess how that turned out.

The MC was even "f*ck it" throughout the day, indicating he made up his mind and is completely serious about it. Then a little seduction got him scammed into it again. Would've worked as some comedic twist to move the story forward but it just didn't mesh here. I know the plot wouldn't move forward without the MC playing the game but the level of disappointment in this episode was something I was hoping to avoid.

I'm going to continue watching to see where all this is going but I'm probably not gonna enjoy it as much as expected.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I did appreciate the fact the one guy who finished the game was voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka aka Kirito. I think that was a good touch on the staff's end. Like, of COURSE the guy who finished the game and knows everything about it is voiced by him. Bet he ended the game with an NPC harem too.
Reibubba

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 am Reply with quote
Another series (anime or manga) where the characters' mental/emotional health is treat as a joke. The usual trope is the 'afraid/scared/allergic to women', which often stems from being turned down by an elementary school teacher. Considering how much of a problem mental health is - especially in Japan, it pains me to see it handled like a snide joke.

While I can be sure that kids are hateful little b'stards (having being on the receiving end I know how it feels) , it would be nice to see it handled better than some embarrassment comedy skit.

As one of the other comments said, it's worrying how much prevarication there is in the character - one moment determined to overcome, the next, a useless puddle. Apparently at the capricious whim of the scriptwriter. I can understand the point of the character trying to beat the game - it's by extension a sign that he wants to improve in the real world, but the comedy jars against the satire and leaves both elements feeling uncomfortable to watch.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
This is just a guess,but I think the mc will eventually stark working out/exercise since his physical abilities transfer to the game so he'll have accomplished 2 goals at the same time even if he wasn't striving for it.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
So if what I am reading what the review is saying correctly we should of considered the realistic feelings of a character portrayed as a crazed psycho killer with unlimited energy and stalker vision. Who fixated on revenge killing rather than shock, sadness, questioning and loss when her brother was killed.

Damn thats some whiplash. Crazed yandere power fights into please think of the children.

Whats next? The realistic feelings and considerations of a Pee obsessed masochistic torturer who thinks cutting legs off is an effective way of divining truth?
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It does feel like by Ep 6, that the story is finally doing what it set out to do, but it's really too late. It does feel like the story never got past the elevator pitch. Now it's halfway through its 12 episodes and NOW it does something?

I think the show has a conflicting identity. It wants to be this dark comedy take down of shows like Sword Art Online, but then it also wants to have this sincere story about overcoming difficult moments in your life, and it doesn't do a dang thing to make it feel earned or clever.

It might be a tired comparison, but Konosuba hit the ground running with its cynical take on the isekai and if push comes to shove, I'm going to go with the show that knows what it is by the first episode, than the show that only 6 episodes into its run finally KNOWS what it sort of wants to be.

It's aggravating, because the first episode had a lot of promise, but then it drops it harder than most anime this season.

Also, the game is designed poorly, because it drops you into the deep end with no real help or advice. It's bad game design. it's basically if someone looked at a From Software game with the logic used in those old PC adventure games where ya better pay attention to what they say, or really understand the logic used in the puzzles or else you won't get far.

Full Dive might be the most disappointing show of the spring season. It had so much to be worth checking out, but instead, it drops the ball.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Also, this show's presentation on comedy is really bad. It has funny ideas, but it would rather explain the joke than let the joke be told.

"what you mean this is realistic?!"

"yes -insert why it's realistic here-"

and repeat.

A lot of the dialogue is very exposition-heavy, and you know, for a visual medium like anime, a show don't tell approach would be a much better way to let the comedy flow.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
Also, the game is designed poorly, because it drops you into the deep end with no real help or advice. It's bad game design.
This... is the premise of the show.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
camseyeview140 wrote:
Also, the game is designed poorly, because it drops you into the deep end with no real help or advice. It's bad game design.
This... is the premise of the show.

Eh not really. If that was the premise, then that is what the focus would be on. It's not though. It doesn't know what it wants.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you know what premise means. It's literally the title of the show, and what is described by the plot summary. Shows build on their premises, so obviously the focus is not exclusively going to be on the premise, but I don't understand how you can pop in to criticize the show 6 episodes in as a disappointment for what literally every aspect of its branding communicates.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I don't think you know what premise means. It's literally the title of the show, and what is described by the plot summary. Shows build on their premises, so obviously the focus is not exclusively going to be on the premise, but I don't understand how you can pop in to criticize the show 6 episodes in as a disappointment for what literally every aspect of its branding communicates.

I mean, I did explain it. It's not funny, it doesn't really know what it wants to be. Because it starts as a dark comedy take on Sword Art, but with a super realistic setting. But then it wants to have a story that wants to be taken seriously, but it also wants to be a comedy. It doesn't do them well, and if by the halfway point of your show's run, you don't know what you want, then that's a failing on the show itself.

How about you be condescending elsewhere
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
For as much as some people think this show is a parody of SAO because of some superficialities mostly from Ep1 that a certain YT personality pointed out early, I think it has presented itself more as it's own kind of show (comedy). The major joke is how it subverts any expectations of how this sort of show/game progresses and of course the many ways a totally realistic VR game with bizarre characters would fail to be entertaining. I love it for that! I also find lots of little ways it is funny every episode, like the obvious wrong choice of item shop, the "boob grab" fail, how Hiro being oblivious sets up the best payoffs (the whip is for BRIAN...). It has been consistent in that from the beginning and so it "knows what it wants to be", but it's not what some think it is. Where it is going is totally opaque so we can only speculate but as of this Ep it may start to be more a dramady as Hiro starts interacting with it less as a game and more as an alternate reality, a distinction that Genji seems to have totally missed...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4